McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

I presume that the exhaust area will be changed, so we'll see a more close to definitive configuration in testing.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach
Sevach

Raptor22 wrote:I think they're gone backwards with side pod design. The MP4/28's are enormous!
I think it looks "enourmous" because they integrated better the coanda extension into the pod, before it looked like a normal sidepod (Mclaren have never been particularly small) with a weird lump, now it looks like part of the pod.

The part that matters, the coke bottle, looks tighter to me, even with everything moved a bit backwards.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Nando wrote:Nearly touching the floor in this pic.

is that a cooling outlet behind and to the left of the exhaust ramp where the lower wishbone connects?

munudeges
munudeges

Well, at least they've corrected the most glaring issue from last season - their nose height.

Nando
Nando

the EDGE wrote:is that a cooling outlet behind and to the left of the exhaust ramp where the lower wishbone connects?
I´m not entirely sure but i think it´s completely closed in there. I believe a smaller exit hole is found further back below the beamwing or so.

Edit: not a whole lot of exit holes on this car i have to say..

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

ringo

I notice that the pullrods allow the use of wider A arm member cross sections for downforce gain.
A push rod passes through the tip end of the "A" of the upper A arm, the smaller end with less space. As can be seen on the car on the left.
This means the arm width of the 2 members at the wheel end has to be reduced to accommodate the pushrod passing through. The pushrod definitely interferes with the small area at the upright/wheel end of the A arms. See the smaller upper arms on the Mp427. Compare them to the lower arms as well...

For the pull rod now, the rod goes from under the tip of the A, so you can make the arm width as wide as you want. The rod doesn't pass through the plane of the upper A arm. It is attached underneath.
When it passes down toward the lower A arm it goes to the open end of the "A" which has a lot of area so there is no compromise and the arms can still be made as wide as possible. The pull rod itself can be made thick if needs be for aero gain since it doesn't pass through any narrow gaps like a pull rod.
Note that the upper arms are equally as wide as the lower arms on the 28.
So as you can see there is a no compromise approach to arm cross section width and thus, suspension member aerodynamics.

The decision to go with pull rod is definitely an aerodynamic one on many fronts:

More surface area on the A arms for aerodynamic exploitation.
Less obstruction on the side of the chassis,
Less obstruction on brake duct aerodynamics and area efficiency.
For Sure!!

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez day 1

F1 Fanatic

chumma
chumma

3rd lap and stops on track at turn 4, hmmmm, simulating shut down process? seems weird maybe the team saw something in the telemetry that was very wrong.

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 05 Feb 2013, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.

Forza

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener wrote:#F1 First infos on the McLaren issue: A problem with the fuel pump stopped Button

chumma
chumma

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Jen ... 658874.jpg

Triple slotted turning vanes under the nose.

desl
desl

Jenson's McLaren stopped in the fourth corner with a fuel pump failure.
Well ... McLaren-Mercedes didn't change that...

chumma
chumma

desl wrote:Jenson's McLaren stopped in the fourth corner with a fuel pump failure.
Well ... McLaren-Mercedes didn't change that...
Its a Mercedes part and Whitmarsh wasted no time blaming Mercedes. Same problem as Monza/Abu Dahbi.

Avocado
Avocado

Mercedes. :evil: