McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

R_Redding wrote:
Coefficient wrote: so called.octopus would be a gamble.the fact they didn't run it in testing
I wish people would refrain from calling it "the octopus".

It was called "the octopus" incorrectly by the press who had no idea what McLaren were trying to do.

McLaren always refer to it as the "fan tail" ....and they had a torrid time in testing with it as it broke consistently to the point where they ran out of spares to continually fix it...leading to a hastily reworked system.

Paddy Lowe explained the system on the flying lap #71 at 30mins 10 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJqYko-1Oo

Rob
Yes I know this, I used the term "Octopus" because it seems that most people know the device by that name so it was merely to save confusion.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Shakeman

Cam wrote: There's no reason not to start thinking about the 2015 car. In fact, common sense suggests they would. R&D begins with broad strokes - crazy ideas, wild sketches, outlandish themes. None of these might ever be produced, but thinking about them and discussing them this far out is actually wise. One could be tossing around ideas for new materials and/or new production techniques that are not quite ready in 2013 - but will be in 2 years time. Waiting around for things to become black and white and stable before you start designing, simply isn't done when you're innovating at the leading edge.
This gets a +1 from me.

The teams will have an idea of the ideal F1 car (under the current rules structure) that is free from the bounds of current material limitations and be actively looking for the lightest, strongest and most heat resistant material (or bendy in the case of RB) to get as close to the ideal as possible as soon as possible. You can bet as soon as superconductors work at a convenient temperature they'll be all over an F1 car.

hollus

richard_leeds wrote:A quick reminder that the car threads are a haven for exploring the actual features of the actual car.

We have other threads for team & race conversations.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Rivals, not enemies.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

All of the recent team talk has been moved to the respective thread. Please be considerate and don't post that content in here where it should be strictly about the technical development of the 2013 machine.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
some people at the bottom of this page have posted something about Mclaren calling their current car the MP4-28A, A? really? Fuelling speculation that they are designing a B spec.

Forthly, if the chassis are homologated, could bringing an upgrade to the sidepods, engine cover, floor, diffuser, front and rear wings be enough to call it a B spec car? Surely upgrades to those parts of the car is standard?
Sorry for quoting myself and I know we have already discussed this but I've just read the February issue of F1 racing and reffering to the Mark Webber interview in particular he talks about the 'B spec' chassis or rather the lack of, he highlights points I made in the second paragraph I quoted from myself

Quote Mark Webber:
''And you have to consider how much the car has changed: they used to call them 'B' specs back in the day, the FW14B etc. By the end of 2012, the Red Bull RB8 would hace been a 'D' - the same as Mclaren. They dont add the letter any more because the cars are evolving so aggressively. Thats just the way it is now.''

Ok, one for the car now, another article I read was Pat Symonds trying to predict what we'll see on some of the 2013 cars, this is before any had been launched.

''What will be the 2013 breakthrough? Well, I suspect we'll see some cars adopt designs that carry through to 2014, such as pull-rod front suspension - a design that will work well with 2014's low noses.''

So Mclaren arent wasting resources going down a suspension path for 1 season only like is has already been suggested they are....?
Just a fan's point of view

Paul

When I predicted McLaren going for the pull, that was exactly the reasoning. Since then I have seen contradictory claims, so I just don't know any more. Would be nice to see an analysis of the technical regulations that concerns the area where front suspension components are expected to be located in 2014 (in a different thread, of course.) I'm not too comfortable with the wording they use to provide one.

Nando
Nando

Sauber is another team saying Pull-rod for 2014.
Might be wise to start this year (or last year in Ferrari´s case) and get acquainted with it.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Forza

Australian GP - Wednesday - 13/3/2013

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Forza

Australian GP - Thursday - 14/3/2013

Pandabeer
Pandabeer

Awesome pictures. Such a beautiful car.

gibells
gibells

They're at it too- blowing the beam wing.

Forza

Australian GP - Thursday - 14/3/2013

Via Craig Scarborough

R_Redding
R_Redding

oops old news.. - please delete.

wesley123
wesley123

gibells wrote:They're at it too- blowing the beam wing.
what???
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender