Data Acquisition System

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Caito
Caito

Data Acquisition System

Hi guys. As a final project for Electronics Engineering I'm thinking about making a data acquisition system. Rather than making the software I'd rather use an open source one. Do you know of any?

Thanks,
Caito.-
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Data Acquisition System

No I don't, but you could write one in Octave, an open source Matlab equivalent.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Greg Locock wrote:No I don't, but you could write one in Octave, an open source Matlab equivalent.
Open source DAQ: http://www.autosportlabs.net/Main_Page

Also, you can license Motec I2 with an import license.

Caito
Caito

Greg Locock wrote:No I don't, but you could write one in Octave, an open source Matlab equivalent.
We're capable enough of writing it in C/C++ or MatLAB. The problem is that to make a good software, user friendly, requires lot's of boring programming. It poses no challenge and it's just about letting the user drop graphs, bar, windows, etc. That would account for at least half of all our available time.

So our intention was to look for open source software, or some format that could be read by other free software.
gixxer_drew wrote: <span>Open source DAQ: <a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/Main_Page" ... </a></span>

Also, you can license Motec I2 with an import license.
Thanks, I'm checking both options. Will let you know if it works.

andylaurence

How about Xoomcentre? It's free and supports importing of data in CSV format. It's also easily extensible with Javascript plugins.

Caito
Caito

andylaurence wrote:How about Xoomcentre? It's free and supports importing of data in CSV format. It's also easily extensible with Javascript plugins.
Yup, that would basically work, but we have decided we will long the long road and do it ourselves.

I'll probably build another post soon, but to give a heads up.. with a friend, as a final career project we're building a data logger system.
We're only beginning yet, defining sampling ratios, amount of channels needed, standards used, etc.

andylaurence

Brilliant. Do keep us posted with your progress. I'm currently looking for a new logger if you want a test subject!

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Can i suggest you use the same data sampling rates as a commercial system? What programming language have you decided on?

Caito
Caito

Greg Locock wrote:Can i suggest you use the same data sampling rates as a commercial system? What programming language have you decided on?

Everything is under evaluation. Do you mean using AT LEAST the sampling rates of commercial systems, or the same? That will most probably be configurable.

Software per se will probably be C++, while the microcontroller is programmed in C and/or Assembler.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

No, exactly the same.

Caito
Caito

Greg Locock wrote:No, exactly the same.
Why? For comparison reasons?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Basically to save you and your users work. Downsampling from 1024 Hz to 1000 Hz sampling rate is a PITA, and guess who gets to do that?

Caito
Caito

Sorry greg I'm not totally getting your point.

Why would you downsample? What would be wrong with 1024Hz that needs to be downsampeld to 1000 Hz?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

OK, probably not something that comes up much but it so happens I do need to do just that due to poor design of two systems.

Caito
Caito

Oh, that's clearer now. Anyway, the sampling frequency would be user selectable so you can basically use what you want up to some predetermined limit.