McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
boyracer94
boyracer94

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

It did look extremely stiff today, but I'm sure there is another factor (or more)

Redragon

Last year, it took a while in Ferrari to find the right set ups around their front suspension, I guess Mclaren are suffering same thing this year. Having an adaptation period until they understand the front suspension behaviour.

skwdenyer
skwdenyer

The worst-case scenario would be if the front of their tub is insufficiently stiff. Swapping to a pull-rod front end can put forces into a whole new set of places. To try to control behaviour, one has to stiffen the springs and dampers, resulting in a terrible ride without fixing the underlying problem.

The angles of their new front end are pretty compromised. The leverage ratios are enormous, and the angular effects pretty nasty. I can imagine their inerter behaviour needing to be completely re-thought, for example, even if the whole front of the tub isn't moving around. All F1 set-ups are pretty non-linear, but this looks as though it is even more so.

McLaren's ultra-stiff tendencies of the last few years have led me to wonder if they lack somebody who really understands suspension, as opposed to just wanting to 'lock off' the movement in the hope of creating a stable aero platform.

Given the trend towards chunky, aerofoil-shaped suspension elements, and the desire to have no keel at all, I wonder who will be first to 'jump backwards' to a rocking-arm system?

KingHamilton01

Ok so we already know McLaren clearly hasn`t got a great car from the start but how much of this is down to set-up and how much is down to performance? byt seriously why would you not follow the evolution of last year`s car knowing that the rules change in 2014 and im sure McLaren could have gone down a new development road with the mp4-27? we keep getting told of the potential to unlock in the mp4-28! but is that worth at least a second....? if not close to a second then McLaren are in for a torrid season! :shock:
McLaren Mercedes

aral
aral

McLaren have made a big change by going to pullrod front suspension. Ferrari suffered initial problems in understanding their system when introduced last year, so there is no reason to suspect that after a race or two, the car will not be back on pace.

ell66
ell66

Dont be ridiculous.

They had no pace in spain despite having 8 test days in total.
A shocking decision to change there car so much from last year.[/quote]

McLaren have made a big change by going to pullrod front suspension. Ferrari suffered initial problems in understanding their system when introduced last year, so there is no reason to suspect that after a race or two, the car will not be back on pace.[/quote]

What makes you believe it's purely the suspension?
Id say having the high chasis for the first time in ages is the biggest problem they have.

raymondu999

I disagree. The MP4-28 front bulkhead isn't too far off the MP4-26 bulkhead.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

McLaren have said that the wind tunnel and sim data show that the car is already a second or more faster than last year's. The problem seems to be inconsistent handling, which has kept them from refining the setup and aero. So, assuming they can get that sorted then the car should be fine.

bhall
bhall

gilgen wrote:McLaren have made a big change by going to pullrod front suspension. Ferrari suffered initial problems in understanding their system when introduced last year, so there is no reason to suspect that after a race or two, the car will not be back on pace.
I don't think Ferrari struggled with their front suspension last year, because Alonso won the second race of the season in wet conditions, an unlikely outcome for a team struggling to come to grips with grip, yanno? The setup may very well have not been optimized at that point, but it certainly wasn't holding the team back.

All of that really means it's probably not a good idea to point the blame toward something specific.

I think the MP4-28 suffers from merely being an all-new car. In one way or another, every innovation McLaren has brought to bear was either banned (F-duct), rendered useless (U-pods), or easily copied by other teams (the current exhaust). This is why Whitmarsh stated the need for a clean-sheet design philosophy: the old one was done, and previous gimmicks could have easily masked more fundamental performance issues.

To me, the MP4-28 looks like the result of a back-to-basics approach. It may have a lot of potential, but it also might take a while to unlock it (see: F2012).

hakan439
hakan439

If mp4-28 is so slow, the how did Jenson did 1:18 in Jerez when the track was dirty and lack of sticky rubber. I think car has a potential bu somehow they can not unlock it.

gray41

Maybe he cut a corner? :P
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

muelte
muelte

Don't know exactly what it means but:

"Button also made an intriguing admission about the car’s pace on Day One of testing in Jerez: We had a set-up we didn’t think we had. It wasn’t one we could work with.”

Gridlock

There was an excellent 90-deg pan shot of the rear of the McLaren (brake ducts, floor, exhaust, everything we'd want) covered in lovely lovely lines of flow-vis. I think it was from the end of FP1 - anyone got a capture? Trying to find it now.

CjC
CjC

Sorry cant help with the picture

In relation to this article:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106036

I'm reading this 'heavily aggressively designed bodywork around the exhaust' alot and im struggling to see the difference from last to this year, anyone got an explanation?

Also, seems the drivers are reporting a lack of downforce (great) maybe Mclaren need to hurry through a Red Bull style exhause layout (Pat Symonds thinks Red Bulls philosophy is slightly better) that'd be another problem that Mclaren need to juggle it seems
Just a fan's point of view

RicerDude

CjC wrote:Sorry cant help with the picture

In relation to this article:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106036

I'm reading this 'heavily aggressively designed bodywork around the exhaust' alot and im struggling to see the difference from last to this year, anyone got an explanation?

Also, seems the drivers are reporting a lack of downforce (great) maybe Mclaren need to hurry through a Red Bull style exhause layout (Pat Symonds thinks Red Bulls philosophy is slightly better) that'd be another problem that Mclaren need to juggle it seems
Only visual differences I can see at the rear of the car are the shrouded drive shafts and a slightly different central outlet.