McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shakeman

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

myurr wrote:
CjC wrote:
gray41 wrote:Maybe he cut a corner? :P
Illegal ride height

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106081

The car must not have been running its 'plank' or it was but tge ride height was too low and would have worn the plank away in a race, any other thoughts?
The ride height was probably fine with the fuel level they had, but had they brimmed the tank it would have grounded the car. I doubt they would be deliberately targeting an illegal setup, more likely that was their baseline setup and as they ran it they realised they needed to raise the ride height a bit. That can also help explain why they looked fast early in the tests but then didn't do any interesting times thereafter.
Whitmarsh explaining reason for early testing pace, "Improperly secured part meant that the car was very low suspended, giving the effect of a good pace. Unfortunately, it would not work on a bumpy track like this [in Albert Park]. This is because the car looks miserable at times and we need to do something about it. It was set that the majority of the track is not possible to use. "

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... n&ie=UTF-8

Matt89
Matt89

dave34m wrote:
Coefficient wrote:Names ending in 8 seem to be bad for this team. Remember the 18?
You could be right, it was a M8 that Bruce McLaren has his fatal accident
Let's not forget the M28 #-o

"Mi chiedete quale è la differenza tra la F1 eroica e quella attuale. Beh, è come se prima si camminasse in equilibrio su un filo sospeso a strapiombo sul Grand Canyon. Ora quel filo è ben teso in camera da letto, a un palmo dal materasso: l'abilità richiesta per camminarci sopra è la stessa, ma la sfida è cambiata per sempre".

- Stirling Moss -

"Se gommo tiene, io vince gara! Se gommo non tiene, io come bomba dentro montagna."

- Markku Alen -

Neno
Neno

So from what i did understand, cars working fast in low configuration, but it cannot hold in long pace. And from what i did conclude car dose not work very good in high configuration either?! This can be only reason why they tried low configuration again, even on bumpy track like Australia.

stefan_
stefan_

Wait... The car was fast because they mounted a part the wrong way thus the car being lower and having a better pace? Nice.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

foxivan
foxivan

the race pace seems a bit better the qualifying,yet can see the car still tend to understeer.

Shakeman

foxivan wrote:the race pace seems a bit better the qualifying,yet can see the car still tend to understeer.
According to Whitmarsh they can't dial it out. In doing so they lose the back end grip.

Richard
Richard

A quick reminder ....

Yes, the apparent McLaren slump in disappointing, but even so pleas remember the car threads are meant to focus on the actual features of the car.

Trocola
Trocola

foxivan wrote:the race pace seems a bit better the qualifying,yet can see the car still tend to understeer.
Could that be because the new front wing? I know it is not a technical view, but the new one seems a basic design. Last year front wing looked like it was more developed and complex.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Trocola wrote:
Could that be because the new front wing? I know it is not a technical view, but the new one seems a basic design. Last year front wing looked like it was more developed and complex.
They are using the same FW as introduced late last year... And it has the same cascade and endplates as the wing before it just that they changed the bottom of it and the main planes.

It is also almost the same design philosophy as Lotus Fw and i think you wouldnt say their wing is so basic cause they won today :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

Huntresa wrote:It is also almost the same design philosophy as Lotus Fw and i think you wouldnt say their wing is so basic cause they won today :D
I would say that it's basic – I would just disagree that basic designs and bad designs are equated ;)

munudeges
munudeges

Huntresa wrote:It is also almost the same design philosophy as Lotus Fw...
:?

gary123

the car needs a brand new front wing!! i watched 2 times the race and you can clearly see that the car suffers a lot of understeer...and the pull rod is very stiff!! the car bumps a lot...

CjC
CjC

Just a thought.....

I've read 2 Perez comments now where he has complained about a lack of downforce, have Mclaren in raising their chassis to improve airflow to the rear created some sort of stall in airflow? How ironic that in theory they have created a greater volume of air going to the rear and it's not working as good as the low chassis height from last year

?

Mclaren are commenting about a lack of ride quality and suggesting that this issue is talking performance away from the car, or at least taking performance set up changes/time from the car
Just a fan's point of view

Huntresa
Huntresa

munudeges wrote:
Huntresa wrote:It is also almost the same design philosophy as Lotus Fw...
:?

???? It is the same philosophy

Huntresa
Huntresa

beelsebob wrote:
Huntresa wrote:It is also almost the same design philosophy as Lotus Fw and i think you wouldnt say their wing is so basic cause they won today :D
I would say that it's basic – I would just disagree that basic designs and bad designs are equated ;)
Yeah me too Basic isnt bad, but I don't even wanna say basic cause it still does what it is suppose to do, whether its basic or rocket science.