Formula Renault 3,5 2013 season

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Nando
Nando

Formula Renault 3,5 2013 season

Cars look great and seem extremely fast, just on looks i´d say they are probably quicker then GP2 cars in the corners.
Could be wrong though.

Anyway, watched the first race of the season yesterday and it looks like it will be a battle between Vandoorne (Mclaren affiliated apparently) and Felix Da Costa (Red Bull Protegé)
With Magnussen lurking around right outside that zone.

First race was quite messy for a lot of drivers, Vandoorne took of after starting from pole and Costa started 4th i believe, passed the 2nd guy on the grid but for some reason they all got gobbled up before T1 in Monza.

He had to dodge a few wrecks, once even had to leave the track not to get picked up in the mayhem but once it started to settling in and he found himself second he was on a different planet. Catching Vandoorne with over a second per lap!

But we never saw a battle as Costa experienced a rather spectacular rear tire blowout which ended his race.
Turns out Vandoorne also had a rear puncture but managed to win the race despite that, pretty impressive.

And what´s more interesting is that a few more guys had rear punctures which made you wonder about the quality of the tires.

Pole Position for race 2 went to Costa as Vandoorne had some electrical problems. It apparently looked like it was going to be a proper dog fight for Pole Position but as Vandoorne was in the pits Costa edged out his own time a little bit more to be sure he could start the race in first position come race day.

Both Costa and Vandoorne was 6 tenths clear of anyone else with Magnussen claiming third.

Should be one hell of a race this.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

Re: Formula Renault 3,5 2013 season

Just saw the second race, it´s on racingfor.me if anyone has an account there.

Fantastic racing by the trio in the opening laps but eventually Costa and Magnussen broke free from Vandoorne and kept it until the finish.

Standings between the three so far:

1. 40p - Vandoorne
2. 36p - Magnussen
3. 25p - Da Costa

-

Wins:

1x - Vandoorne
1x . Da Costa

Poles:

1x - Vandoorne
1x - Da Costa

Rikhart
Rikhart

Really unlucky first race puncture for da costa, or he would have 2 victories... He should win the championship, but vandoorne is showing great qualities as a newcomer!

Nando
Nando

Yea i think if he keeps this up he´s going to dominate the season.
I think all three if they keep this level they will all find themselves in Formula 1 in the very near future.

Da Costa i think can even skip STR and jump right into Red Bull. He´s just that impressive.