McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

boyracer94 wrote:
shelly wrote:That's very interesting
because it is that contact patch that influences the properties of the tyre squirt.
If only I could upvote posts... some interesting points in there.
I just did it for you (because I agree). And thanks for using the ellipses.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Thursday (18.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

snorri788
snorri788

Why no sponsor markings on the sidepods?

Also is that a hole on the one second from the front? Why something so large compared to the foremost cover which has a tiny hatch on it?

stefan_
stefan_

Zain on the sidepods for this weekend. Zain is a telecommunications company that is present in 8 countries of the Middle East and Africa and it is partly owned by Vodafone.

Photo via Pius Gassó
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

snorri788
snorri788

The sidepod covers piled up look like they are for the other side of the car. Blank on one side perhaps?

Also the one at the very back looks like ye olde West livery with a bit of red. Nice.

Any news on updates for this weekend? Or is everything getting saved for Europe with no changes this weekend?

gray41

They just need the decals for the blank panels is all.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Pup
Pup

snorri788 wrote:Any news on updates for this weekend? Or is everything getting saved for Europe with no changes this weekend?
I believe this will be the same spec as China.

I've seen a couple of quotes like the one below from Button. McLaren seem keen on managing expectations for the Barcelona update...
"We are hopefully going to have a big package for Barcelona, it's not going to be the full amount I don't think of seven or eight tenths in qualifying but it will be a base that we can really build on and then I think it gives us more options with the car for the future. So it's exciting and I'm looking forward to that race."

turbof1

4 tenths perhaps? Would be quite a big improvement.
#AeroFrodo

Coefficient
Coefficient

snorri788 wrote:Why no sponsor markings on the sidepods?

Also is that a hole on the one second from the front? Why something so large compared to the foremost cover which has a tiny hatch on it?
Thats the top of the one in front you're seeing there fella.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Apr 2013, 21:14, edited 4 times in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's Analysis of McLaren's China updates.

Via AutoSport

Pup
Pup

Interesting comments, but I don't agree about the reasoning behind moving the exhaust. I think they moved it forward so that the plume is wider when it hits the floor, and thereby a bit more reliable, if less effective. And I think that the re-profiling of the sidepod is simply a result of having to rework the exhausts to get them forward.

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Apr 2013, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Different FWs,

shelly
shelly

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Gary Anderson's Analysis of McLaren's China updates.

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/1382/imagenge.jpg
Via AutoSport
I think the comment on exhausts interacting with the rear brake ducts is wrong. If that was the target, why the need for coanda effect in the first place?
twitter: @armchair_aero