McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

shelly wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Gary Anderson's Analysis of McLaren's China updates.

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/1382/imagenge.jpg
Via AutoSport
I think the comment on exhausts interacting with the rear brake ducts is wrong. If that was the target, why the need for coanda effect in the first place?
I agree. I assume the brake duct airfoils lower surface flow primarily washes upward. If so, why would you want that flow pulling the exhaust flow upward? Wouldn't you want these separate, if possible? I can maybe understand the lower brake flow helping to accelerate the exhaust flow in one little spot where the brake airfoil flow is briefly parallel to the floor. But the way he's explaining it makes no sense to me.

shelly
shelly

Looking back at the picture, i think that the blue arrows along the footplate are not representative: I think that painting them warping like a crokscrew along the edge would give a better picture
twitter: @armchair_aero

R_Redding
R_Redding

These flowviz photos were taken before they hacked the floor.

With the reports of windtunnel tyres deforming differently to the full size ones..it maybe that the tire gets too close to the diffuser sides and stops gasses going down to seal the underneath.

So the china floor was opened up for those reasons I assume.

Rob

khaliweed
khaliweed

Whats wrong with Sergio Perez. He is all over the place :o :o

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

khaliweed wrote:Whats wrong with Sergio Perez. He is all over the place :o :o
Poor fella is feeling the pressure I think, once he gets a good performance under his belt I expect his confidence will improve.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Friday (19.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

F1 Bahrain GP - Friday- 19/04/13

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

^ The Mclaren front wing looks very basic compared to other cars.
Does anybody know why that is?

krisfx
krisfx

JimClarkFan wrote:^ The Mclaren front wing looks very basic compared to other cars.

It could be because they are trying to balance their lack of rear downforce?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

krisfx wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:^ The Mclaren front wing looks very basic compared to other cars.

I don't know, there is an article at the top of the page mentioning their front wing simplification. Presumably they feel that it provides better overall down force, it is a bit odd though given that nearly all other teams have very complex front wings by comparison.

krisfx
krisfx

JimClarkFan wrote:
krisfx wrote:

I don't know, there is an article at the top of the page mentioning their front wing simplification. Presumably they feel that it provides better overall down force, it is a bit odd though given that nearly all other teams have very complex front wings by comparison.
Yeah it could be, but you only have to look at the top teams to realise the best solution... Red Bull seem to be producing quite a lot of rear downforce, given the almost monza spec rear wing they ran at Australia lol, and their front wing is so busy.

McLaren are really struggling this year!

Pup
Pup

YES, WE NEED MORE STUFF ON THE CAR!!!! STUFF LIKE THE OTHER TEAMS HAVE!!! BUT MORE OF!!!

Jeez, do we really have to go through this inanity every single race? :roll:

The front wing business has been discussed to death. 1) Yes, it's simple. 2) No, it probably doesn't produce as much downforce as the other teams'. 3) #2 has nothing to do with #1.

It's simple because it's simple. It's not cranked because they have to balance front to rear DF, and the rear is lacking.

Just kidding. We all know that more is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEKt5Izwbo
Last edited by Pup on 19 Apr 2013, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Pup wrote:YES, WE NEED MORE STUFF ON THE CAR!!!! STUFF LIKE THE OTHER TEAMS HAVE!!! BUT MORE OF IT!!!

The front wing business has been discussed to death. 1) Yes, it's simple. 2) No, it probably doesn't produce as much downforce as the other teams'. 3) #2 has nothing to do with #1.

It's simple because it's simple. It's not cranked because they have to balance front to rear DF, and the rear is lacking.

I have no idea what your point actually is because I can't separate the sarcasm from the real talk lol

Pup
Pup

I rarely know either. When in doubt, assume sarcasm.

More importantly, never take the rantings of a typing dog too seriously. Chances are, he's just messin with you.

Trocola
Trocola

Pup wrote:YES, WE NEED MORE STUFF ON THE CAR!!!! STUFF LIKE THE OTHER TEAMS HAVE!!! BUT MORE OF!!!

It is the launch spec FW, very basic from the begining of preseason testing, before they know they were near a second off the pace