McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Pup wrote:I rarely know either. When in doubt, assume sarcasm.

More importantly, never take the rantings of a typing dog too seriously. Chances are, he's just messin with you.

So reading that from the perspective that everything is sarcastic, does that mean you aren't a pup? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pup
Pup

I'm a regular paradox.

On the subject of the car, elsewhere they say that McLaren are still hacking away at the floor. No pics that I can find.

The car and the track aren't suited for one another, but Jenson seems ok with the situation...
"I don't think it's any secret that we are pretty weak in terms of traction and lateral load traction, so this circuit's tough for us.

"We'll make the best of it, but today's been pretty tricky.

"I think we'll get there in the end. We were trying lots of things today, and it's so difficult with the limited running you can do.

"I've got a good feeling already that we've found a set-up that we'll be running tomorrow that will be more competitive."

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Pup wrote:I'm a regular paradox.

On the subject of the car, elsewhere they say that McLaren are still hacking away at the floor. No pics that I can find.

The car and the track aren't suited for one another, but Jenson seems ok with the situation...
"I don't think it's any secret that we are pretty weak in terms of traction and lateral load traction, so this circuit's tough for us.

"We'll make the best of it, but today's been pretty tricky.

"I think we'll get there in the end. We were trying lots of things today, and it's so difficult with the limited running you can do.

"I've got a good feeling already that we've found a set-up that we'll be running tomorrow that will be more competitive."
It's mental over there, I want to know, when all is said and done, just how on earth they got the car so wrong this year.
I think the answer to that is fairly important going forward.

horse

The front wing is an integral part of the new front chasis design concept. So that wing is as complicated as they could hope to simulate succesfully at this stage of development. I suspect there remains a great deal of potential from the front of the car. Whether it can be matched by the back - time will tell.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Friday (19.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday - 20/4/13

ringo

Force India produced a superior car to Mclaren.
It's very puzzling.... Looking at the car.
Suspension must be messed up beyond reasoning. So messed up and hard to figure out someone should lose their job for it. :lol:
For Sure!!

munudeges
munudeges

JimClarkFan wrote:^ The Mclaren front wing looks very basic compared to other cars.
Does anybody know why that is?
Aerodynamically everything comes from the front wing. If you are all at sea then the first thing that goes is the front wing complexity.

beelsebob
beelsebob

munudeges wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:^ The Mclaren front wing looks very basic compared to other cars.
Does anybody know why that is?
Aerodynamically everything comes from the front wing. If you are all at sea then the first thing that goes is the front wing complexity.
Except that that's not what's happening here – McLaren have had this front wing design (or roughly similar) for aeons. They just have a different philosophy about how they get good air to the back of the car compared to the rest of the teams.

henra
henra

ringo wrote:Force India produced a superior car to Mclaren.
Suspension must be messed up beyond reasoning. So messed up and hard to figure out someone should lose their job for it. :lol:
I'm not so sure it is mainly suspension. Although it is probably one of their problems I have the feeling it is more aerodynamics related. Even with the improved sidepods the car looks bulky especially in the area leading to the inner part of the diffuser if you compare it to the Ferrari for example (which looks like the Benchmark in that department).
Last year they had the cleanest and one of the most open Coke Bottles, this year they are not close. Honestly I have no idea why? They seem to have even deteriorated in packaging, at least in that particularly critical area and I have the strong suspicion that their problems are at least partly related to this.
Or have they shortened the wheelbase?

Pierce89

ringo wrote:Force India produced a superior car to Mclaren.
Supposedly the problem is that the underfloor aero is very unstable and only stays attached at very high or very low ride heights. In the middle ride heights where cars spend the most time you need stable robust underfloor flow, but Mclaren supposedly has detachment issues in this region. I don't know if that's true, but I do believe Mac a understands kinematics and vehicle dynamics well enough that the suspension isn't the issue. I'd say Ferrari has proven that a front pull-rod system is perfectly workable and viable under these re s.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

Why oh why do people keep shooting at the suspension.

I'd rather believe that the front wing isn't doing a proper job. Infact it has no progression at all; completely under developed. Having a simple front wing isn't so much of a problem, but mclaren hasn't really done anything with it since abu dhabi last year, except actually removing stuff. Other teams bring almost every weekend updates to their FW's.
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob
beelsebob

turbof1 wrote:Why oh why do people keep shooting at the suspension.

I'd rather believe that the front wing isn't doing a proper job. Infact it has no progression at all; completely under developed.
That's an indication that it's actually very good, and doing exactly what they want – if it wasn't doing what they expected it to do, they would keep on changing it.
Having a simple front wing isn't so much of a problem, but mclaren hasn't really done anything with it since abu dhabi last year, except actually removing stuff. Other teams bring almost every weekend updates to their FW's.
Yes, and (repeating myself), that's an indication that they don't see anything wrong with it (and didn't last year when they were winning either). The problem is further down the car, not the front wing.

feynman
feynman

... or perhaps more likely an indication of continuing poor rear downforce, a balance problem which would only be further exacerbated by a high efficiency front wing. Until they fix the back, they are unable to put anything better at the front.

beelsebob
beelsebob

feynman wrote:... or perhaps more likely an indication of continuing poor rear downforce, a balance problem which would only be further exacerbated by a high efficiency front wing. Until they fix the back, they are unable to put anything better at the front.
Which again – is an indication that the problem is not the front wing – the problem is further back on the car ;)