Driver condition light

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt
MadMatt

Driver condition light

I woke up with an idea, sorry if it has been discussed already, if not then here it is:

When there is a crash, you always see the marshals running to the driver asking about his condition. In the case of a multi-car crash (especially Nascar for example), there is not enough marshal to run at each driver quickly. So why not asking the teams to put a light on the roof of the cars (can work for LeMans, F1, WRC), that the driver has to switch on right after the crash depending if he needs immediate assistance (red) or if he is ok (green). I think it would be a very good idea, so the marshals could run to the car with either no light (driver unconscious), or with a red light (needing immediate assistance).

It would just be an easy access switch. What do you think?
Last edited by MadMatt on 05 May 2013, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

seventhsin

Re: Driver condition light

Fantastic idea, more so for other series as usually in F1 the driver exits immediately, if there is no movement obviously somethings wrong.
For closed cockpit racing it's a great idea, especially in NASCAR as you mentioned as there are big tangles often and it would get help to those who need it most.

bhall
bhall

8.10 Medical warning system :

In order to give rescue crews an immediate indication of accident severity each car must be fitted with a warning light which is connected to the FIA data logger.

The light must face upwards and be recessed into the top of the survival cell no more than 150mm from the car centre line and the front of the cockpit opening and as near to the clutch disengagement system, as described in Article 9.4, as is practical.

Details of the light and its control system may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.

The light comes on in the event of a crash if certain G-force threshholds have been met. Per the sporting regulations (30.18):

If, after an incident, the Medical Warning Light signals that threshold forces have been exceeded the driver must be examined by the Event medical service without delay, the FIA Medical Delegate will determine the most appropriate place for this examination.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Good ! Well, I was expecting something easier to spot without having to be 10cm from the car (what's the point then). And is it only in Formula 1, or also in other series ?

zonk
zonk

You have to remember that a driver can be in shock and he can press the button that he is alright but could be severely injured and next second unconscious. It's up to marshals to check everyone ASAP.

MadMatt
MadMatt

I never said the marshals should not have a look. For me it just prioritize to which driver they should run first. That shock state of mind and what you explain makes perfect sense, but I guess it is just one of these unfortunate circumstances. I think on oval racing that might be good when there is a "big one" to have this, so the few marshals present on the place where the crash happens can rush to the critical driver first. Flashing light like that's on the planes would be enough to attract their attention I think.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Although technology is a great assistance most of the times, I balk at it being used to replace human intervention. If the technology fails or someone makes a mistake, a person could be overlooked or prioritized incorrectly.

Two cars could come together and wind up a hundred feet apart, one flashing a red light, and the other green. First responders may all go to the car that appears to be in distress, and 30 to 60 seconds may pass before someone notices the driver in the other car is bleeding to death.

For life-critical applications, procedures, common sense, and the Mark I eyeball should never be replaced by reliance on technology. To illustrate this weakness, for the first 4 races the telemetry has not been working as advertised, even in this day and age.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.