McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
snorri788
snorri788

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Looks like they have gone back to the U sidepods from 2011! Are these to help the direction of the coanda exhaust flow?

Henning
Henning

<sarcasm> I agree, the sidepod inlets in this picture are absolutely massive </sarcasm>

Clue: reflections
FrukostScones wrote:Image

snorri788
snorri788

Henning wrote:<sarcasm> I agreem, the sidepod inlets in this picture are absolutely massive </sarcasm>

Clue: reflections
The reflections do make them look big, but they are still massive compared to any other team.

astracrazy
astracrazy

FrukostScones wrote: McLaren copying Mercedes, well...it looks like art.
really? looks a mess from the pictures you posted tbh.
snorri788 wrote:Looks like they have gone back to the U sidepods from 2011! Are these to help the direction of the coanda exhaust flow?
No quiet. They have followed Mercs root which is similar to previous Ferrari's

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

balalev
balalev

wesley123
wesley123

Interresting slot on the rear end of the rear wing. Similar to Ferrari only there is only 1 instead of 2 and there are massive vanes
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Shakeman

I noticed in FP1 a gallon of flowvis being sprayed under the floor before a run.

Blackout

May
Februar

Pup
Pup

While I'm laughing a bit that McLaren have done the opposite in many ways from what a lot of people have been clamoring for, I do think it's interesting that they've chosen to bring more air over the side pods than around. They must feel that the exhaust flow was too weak in relation to the air coming around the side and was getting blown off course. So they're strengthening that flow and weakening the other. But you'd think that they'd at least have looked at a RB style solution in that case, so there must be a reason they don't want to do that.

Pup
Pup

It's a pretty thing. I wonder what's the point of running the old front wing with the new aero? Seems like it would just produce garbage data.

ringo

"Right now we have changed the way the platform works, and there are a lot of new parts coming [in the next races] based around that," he said.

"If you look at the philosophy we have had for the first few races then clearly it is not where we need to be. So we took a decision to change where we are operating a couple of months ago."
Change the way how the platform works, that sounds like how the maximize their downforce is changed completely.
What kind of rear suspension and floor have taken place? Anyone see anything?
For Sure!!

trinidefender
trinidefender

Pictures of the upgraded front wing were posted yet all the pictures of the car after while running show it running with the old front wing. Does anybody know why this is?

ringo

Pup wrote:http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 494584.jpg

It's a pretty thing. I wonder what's the point of running the old front wing with the new aero? Seems like it would just produce garbage data.
Maybe because they want to compare both wings with the new changes.
Old wing + new changes vs new wing + new changes.
It's quite likely the front wings wont behave differently, or cause different downstream behavior.
Front wing influence is highly over exagerated in the forums.
Note also the wing still has the same number of elements, Just that more air is pass between the wheels on the new wing, and based on the "elliptical shape", 8) it will be more efficient under different orientations. New wing may make subtle changes for the handling i guess.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

trinidefender wrote:Pictures of the upgraded front wing were posted yet all the pictures of the car after while running show it running with the old front wing. Does anybody know why this is?
Probably back to back testing.

Their new front wing finally follows the trend on the front wings. Are there any more pictures of it?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender