Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

marcush. wrote:what´s wrong with butons driving? you guys forget he outscored master Hamilton 672 /657 over 3 years and over these seasons he kept Hamilton who is considered one of the top three drivers in check .
Now come up with luck or circumstances and I´m sure both of them had similar strokes of bad luck and issues ...the current form of Mclaren has nothing to do with button and Hamsy would not score any better over a season.Button has done enough to prove his worth.
I would not so much look to the points. Hamilton was marginally better then Button in 2010; Button was better then Hamilton even though on ultimate pace the latter stayed the better, but had issues keeping his cool, and in 2012 Hamilton utterly and completely destroyed Button on track. If it wasn't for mclaren constantly screwing up races for Hamilton, he would have had an additional 75 points in check on Button.

Hamilton would have atleast qualified better then Button this year in the same car. He is used to throwing his car around, ideally for such an unstable car. Button needs a car that runs very smooth.
#AeroFrodo

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

marcush. wrote:what´s wrong with butons driving? you guys forget he outscored master Hamilton 672 /657 over 3 years and over these seasons he kept Hamilton who is considered one of the top three drivers in check .
Now come up with luck or circumstances and I´m sure both of them had similar strokes of bad luck and issues ...the current form of Mclaren has nothing to do with button and Hamsy would not score any better over a season.Button has done enough to prove his worth.
Its a shame that you pretend you didn't actually watch Formula One for the last three years and quote total points scored as if it is any kind of reliable indicator of their overall performance. Especially in a place like this which is supposed to care about attention to details.

Like I said earlier, if Button was the fastest driver in McLaren last year, you would probably also saying that his being lost at sea for so much of the season was nothing to do with his driving and was McLarens fault.

turbof1

At this point, what is keeping them from pulling out last year's car? They said they roughly had half a season of development potentional in it; if they start doing that now they'll get near the end of the season with it.

They have nothing to win with this car. Much of its current philosophy will be thrown in the garbage can next year.
#AeroFrodo

ringo

The car doesn't look too bad on track. But it's still nowhere.
The uncertain strategy for all teams somewhat masked their poor pace.
Ferrari, Lotus and Redbull are in another league, the performance gap is going to be a mountain to climb.
Mercedes is a better car on pace and even for them i think it will be very difficult to win a race this year.
For Sure!!

Pup
Pup

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Whitmarsh throws a bone to the orange lovers of the world...
“I really like the idea. Orange is a great colour, especially for McLaren,” he told the Russian website f1news.ru.

“We use it for our racing GT and it looks great, and we’ll continue to move in this direction. F1 is a bit different: the modern business model is one of the main tasks of the team — to promote the brands of our partners. But if we’re lucky enough to find a sponsor who likes orange, you could see that colour again in formula one,” added Whitmarsh.

Sig
Sig

ringo wrote:The car doesn't look too bad on track. But it's still nowhere.
The uncertain strategy for all teams somewhat masked their poor pace.
Ferrari, Lotus and Redbull are in another league, the performance gap is going to be a mountain to climb.
Mercedes is a better car on pace and even for them i think it will be very difficult to win a race this year.
I wouldn't say they are necessarily in another league. At least not Ferrari and Lotus. Take a look at last season, for example (or any number of seasons prior). McLaren was right in the hunt. Whats different this year? Well, they did lean more towards innovation in design than improvement on design when compared with the likes of Ferrari, Red Bull and Lotus. Coming back to bite them in the ass though.

Unless I totally missed your point and you were talking about another league strictly in the sense of this season.....

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/13 ... 009-n1.htm

Sorry for the japanese link.... this is all over the news here but cant find anything in english.

Hail22

gixxer_drew wrote:http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/13 ... 009-n1.htm

Sorry for the japanese link.... this is all over the news here but cant find anything in english.

Translation of linked article:

The 15th, I found that Honda's decision formally the pinnacle of auto racing, a return to the F1 series. I announce Takanobu Ito president is a press conference in the week as well. Expected to compete in a manner that provides prestigious British racing team in the "McLaren" a new engine from a series of 2015. Return the fourth first time in seven years.

To proceed with the "McLaren Honda", to from 91 to 1988, and is home to such as Ayrton Senna, it is since the "golden period" superimposed won the overwhelming strength.

World sales of the 2012 fiscal year and to break the mark of 4 million units for the first time, Honda, strong sales mainly in North America market mainstay. At the prospect extending over 10% even 13 year, performance is also rapid recovery in tailwind also weaker yen effect. You go to war again, decided that in addition to this background, the fight to stage the F1 car manufacturers in the world compete for the performance of the engine is not essential for technological upgrading. Seen side you want to connect to the morale of employees in F1 return also large
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

lebesset
lebesset

should McLaren revert to the 2012 car ?

it seems that the forthcoming pirelli tyres from canada onwards will revert to 2012 profiles with modified tread compounds

this will mean considerable modification to the 2013 cars

no one would dispute that McLaren have had a disastrous start to the season , and clearly have show very little sign of progress ; even so they decided to continue to try and develop the car , especially as the 2012 car was never designed for the 2013 tyres ; no argument with that , they clearly know best

but now the game has changed ..the 2012 car was a proven race winner , and optimised for a similar tyre to what is now going to be used ; is it not likely that developing that car is likely to produce better results than continuing with the car they have used so far this season ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Sig
Sig

Re: should McLaren revert to the 2012 car ?

I think they'll have to revert, or at least go to something similar. That will be true of every team though, to a certain extent, considering that the 2012 tires warp differently than the 2013s, thus changing the way air flows over them.

wesley123
wesley123

What makes anyone think that they would have better performance with their old car? Doesnt anyone know that the tires have changed, the MP4-27 was made for the 2012 tires, not the 2013 tires, which are different.

The best outcome they would have from this is that they would run the same pace, for now, and the 28 has more scope for development than the 27 so switching back would only shoot themselves in the foot.

Out of the desperate choices they can make, just not doing anything and screw this year would be the best move they could make out of the desperate options they have.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

lebesset
lebesset

wesley123 wrote:What makes anyone think that they would have better performance with their old car? Doesnt anyone know that the tires have changed, the MP4-27 was made for the 2012 tires, not the 2013 tires, which are different.

The best outcome they would have from this is that they would run the same pace, for now, and the 28 has more scope for development than the 27 so switching back would only shoot themselves in the foot.

Out of the desperate choices they can make, just not doing anything and screw this year would be the best move they could make out of the desperate options they have.
haven't you missed something here ?....that as from canada they are going back to 2012 type tyres ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

wesley123
wesley123

From the article from F1technical;

"The new range will combine elements from the 2012 and 2013 tyres to have both durability and performance."

That's a lot different than "2012 tires"
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

According to James Allen the steel reinforcement could change back to the kevlar ones from last year. So its not just compounds that will change.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/05/w ... will-mean/

Pup
Pup

According to Hembry himself, there will be aero implications...
“We’re going to give teams a lot more data tomorrow. We’re finalising the precise specification. Really, it’s a little bit of a mix of what we’ve been using this season and some of the structural stuff we had last season – which will help minimise the impact for the teams.

As you can imagine, there’s a lot of work to be done on aerodynamics and tyres can impact on that – the way they deform – so teams will be keen to have that data asap so they can all start working towards Canada. From an aero point of view, that can have an impact. That’s why we’d like to give them something that they’ve used a little bit in the past – so they’ve already got some data.

It’s also probably as well the way the compounds will work with the car: they’ll be less aggressive from some points of view which will slightly modify the strategy of how they use the tyres during the race.”
Any reason why this discussion is in the team thread and not the car thread?