Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Clew

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Racer X wrote:HONDA Return thats amazing.

Sergio Perez: “Of course, Ayrton is my hero, as he’s a hero to many millions of people living in Central America and South America. So today’s announcement not only rekindles all the fantastic memories of that successful era, but it also starts a new age – which can be even more exciting."

As a fan I think this is great the historic relevance to this announcement is a good one.
But on a more technical side.

Honda makes great turbo units and I hope they can make an engine that's efficient and powerful like the one that last raced on a McLaren in the Ayrton Prost era.
Looking forward to turbo coming back, but hesitate to agree Honda will produce a unit far in excess in performance above the other teams.

I still think major differences between teams performance will be due primarily
1. aero related
2. how well tyres are managed throughout the race.
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Pierce89

Racer X wrote:HONDA Return thats amazing.

Sergio Perez: “Of course, Ayrton is my hero, as he’s a hero to many millions of people living in Central America and South America. So today’s announcement not only rekindles all the fantastic memories of that successful era, but it also starts a new age – which can be even more exciting."

As a fan I think this is great the historic relevance to this announcement is a good one.
But on a more technical side.

Honda makes great turbo units and I hope they can make an engine that's efficient and powerful like the one that last raced on a McLaren in the Ayrton Prost era.
Other than their old f1 engine, what great turbo units has Honda built? When I think of Honda, I think of high revving NA units.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Jonathan Neale said that Mclaren has the most developed system of promoting young engineers from their internal organisation. I searched and I found that a lot of young engineers from Mclaren Racing are implicated in the business shortly after they graduated. .... Mclaren's culture is to develop and promote their young people.

And what do you think, which route is more sustainable for a strong technical staff? Mclaren's approach to attract young engineers or other team's approach of offering high salaries? :)

McG

Brilliant news and a long time coming IMO.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Racer X

mclaren_mircea wrote:Jonathan Neale said that Mclaren has the most developed system of promoting young engineers from their internal organisation. I searched and I found that a lot of young engineers from Mclaren Racing are implicated in the business shortly after they graduated. .... Mclaren's culture is to develop and promote their young people.

And what do you think, which route is more sustainable for a strong technical staff? Mclaren's approach to attract young engineers or other team's approach of offering high salaries? :)

Both I think the pros and cons are strong for both I guess it just depends on talent the young engineers you bring in. Their talent VS the old proven War Horses that we see switching sides for more money. It depends you know what you're in for with the latter that's an advantage but. The young ones might bring in ideas that an old horse might not consider. But maybe those ideas haven't been done for a reason. So when a young engineers ideas are tried out and fail. What then its alot but building up for the future is a definite pro. But I say keep the department head positions filled by the old War horses that know how the game is played.

For me I think Balance is key.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

@Racer X

Thank mate for the reply :D

lebesset
lebesset

no going back to 2012 car for McLaren...no 2012 type tyre construction to be allowed

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107487
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Pup
Pup

I'd think that construction change could easily be argued to be safety related, while the compound changes perhaps not so much. Though they could argue that one requires the other. Actually, they can argue pretty much whatever they want - who's going to tell them they're wrong? The FIA is probably just covering their tushie here.

Clew

Racer X wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:Jonathan Neale said that Mclaren has the most developed system of promoting young engineers from their internal organisation. I searched and I found that a lot of young engineers from Mclaren Racing are implicated in the business shortly after they graduated. .... Mclaren's culture is to develop and promote their young people.

Both I think the pros and cons are strong for both I guess it just depends on talent the young engineers you bring in. Their talent VS the old proven War Horses that we see switching sides for more money. It depends you know what you're in for with the latter that's an advantage but. The young ones might bring in ideas that an old horse might not consider. But maybe those ideas haven't been done for a reason. So when a young engineers ideas are tried out and fail. What then its alot but building up for the future is a definite pro. But I say keep the department head positions filled by the old War horses that know how the game is played.

For me I think Balance is key.
I see a lack of balance within McLaren with the massive exodus of proven "old war horses" to Merc. I'm beginning to think the old McLaren engineering model will come to fruition at Merc.
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Pup
Pup

That, or they'll export their troubles to them. After years of watching this team be almost great, I have no problem seeing the old guard leaving. But only if they can bring fresh talent in, of course. Hopefully the new Honda deal will present ample enough opportunity/challenge to potential replacements.

Gridlock

Pup wrote:Hopefully the new Honda deal will present ample enough opportunity/challenge to potential replacements.
The challenge aspect shouldn't be overlooked. With Mercedes VMM are a customer team, a secondary consideration, and there isn't the pressure from the engine manufacturer to succeed (in fact the opposite may be true - do you think Dr Zetsche is enjoying seeing Force India where it is?)

With Honda there is pressure, and resource, to win that is now absent with MB.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

I found what Niki Lauda told yesterday: Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda said: “We will only give Mclaren information about our engine that they desperately need.”
What can mean?

Neno
Neno

mclaren_mircea wrote:I found what Niki Lauda told yesterday: Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda said: “We will only give Mclaren information about our engine that they desperately need.”
What can mean?
Mercedes dont want share any secrets for new engine, because they could use in Mclaren that informations for Honda engine devoloping. You know that from next year there will be no partnership between mercedes and mclaren? Mercedes is on former contract with Mclaren obligied to deliver engines to them and nothing more else. Mclaren will not anymore with Mercedes engineers create chassis around their engine to maximize performances, they will only get datas about engine just like any other team who will be supplied from not their main team. For next year Mercedes is only supplier to Mclaren, just like Force India is.

Neno
Neno

It's seems my post hurted someone's felllings...

Richard
Richard

The deal to release Lowe earlry is interesting alongside Lauda's comments.

At least McLaren & Merc have established working practices so it'll be easier to define the sort of input & data that is deemed to be part of the engine supply arrangements.