McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Jackles-UK wrote:All of the rapid-prototyping I did at Uni was using a photosensitive resin that hardened once the laser beam had hit the CAD mapped out co-ordinates. The white end-plated wing at Barcelona looked very similar to the items I had a hand in designing. The end result was always a very resilient white (note similarities) polymer that was unbelievably accurate. My lecturer said that although the end product is fine for certain parts like wing-tips (he was more of an aviation fan than racing!) it couldn't really stand up to any great structural load. This makes me think that Ti may not have been the material used for an RP'd endplate - seems a bit strength/cost excessive!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kEWSrbhHuI[/youtube]
Metal can be rapid prototyped as well. It's like sintering. So you can't rule out a piece being metal.
For Sure!!

mikeerfol

stefan_ wrote:That's Checo.
Yup, it's Perez. Hard to tell who is who with his new helmet. :D

Racer X

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/191464/1/r ... elmet.html

He used to look like Hamilton (helmet) now he looks like Button (helmet)

Haha jp I guess hes going to auction this helmet for charity.
But this one is actually Black with the Mexican Colors on it I havent seen it thats what it Says in The Article.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

mikeerfol

Racer X wrote:http://www.crash.net/f1/news/191464/1/r ... elmet.html

He used to look like Hamilton (helmet) now he looks like Button (helmet)

Haha jp I guess hes going to auction this helmet for charity.
But this one is actually Black with the Mexican Colors on it I havent seen it thats what it Says in The Article.
:lol:

Yeah he mentioned it on twitter, it's for charity.

stefan_
stefan_

via @TheF1Poet
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pup
Pup

(Brief rant about F1 photography these days: I wish those guys would take it easy on the saturation and contrast settings - it's getting a bit ridiculous. I mean, just take a look at that first photo - who looks at that and thinks its good work apart from some hipster with an instagram fetish?)

KingHamilton01

New Font wing look's nice, balance seem's to be getting better race by race and Button confirming better race pace! just need to work on qualy pace now then :)
McLaren Mercedes

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Friday (24.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

marcush.
marcush.

rapid prototyping is a very broad field and does not really describe the method of manufacturing .
Stereolithogrphy laser points into a fluid solution and solidifies (polymerisates the fluid in the focus point-
another one is SLS -selective laser sintering is also a laser thod where a laser beam solidifies a powder layer for layer -there are many many materials available with surprising strength very close to a molded part -thermoplastic--carbonfilled is a match for the PA 30 (or similar) it is substituting.SLS is also available as a Metal sintering process for titanium (for example)
there is also 3d printing and and and

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Amazing how much better the MP4-28 is on harder side wall tyres.

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Amazing how much better the MP4-28 is on harder side wall tyres.
What harder sidewalls? To my understanding the Pirellis brought to Monaco are the exact same construction as previous.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Racer X

raymondu999 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Amazing how much better the MP4-28 is on harder side wall tyres.
What harder sidewalls? To my understanding the Pirellis brought to Monaco are the exact same construction as previous.
Yes they will bring in the revised tires im Canada but it will be only structural Not compound.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

aral
aral

Racer X wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Yes they will bring in the revised tires im Canada but it will be only structural Not compound.
Wrong! Structural changes have been disallowed, and the only change will be to compounds, and possibly improved bonding of tread. Apart from that, if there was to have been a structural change, it was to have been back to the SOFTER sidewalls.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Maybe Crucial_Xtreme refered to the intermediates which maybe have a different structure

Pup
Pup

gilgen wrote:Wrong! Structural changes have been disallowed, and the only change will be to compounds, and possibly improved bonding of tread.
No. Non-safety related changes have been disallowed, but it is yet to be seen what sort of changes would or would not be included in that. Pirelli is negotiating with the teams to determine what they would not object to, so as to avoid a confrontation with the FIA over the matter. They still want to change to back to a Kevlar belt.