McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Monaco 2013 - Saturday (25.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bhall
bhall

Pup wrote:(Brief rant about F1 photography these days: I wish those guys would take it easy on the saturation and contrast settings - it's getting a bit ridiculous. I mean, just take a look at that first photo - who looks at that and thinks its good work apart from some hipster with an instagram fetish?)
I've always liked shots like these. Because art.

aral
aral

Pup wrote:
gilgen wrote:Wrong! Structural changes have been disallowed, and the only change will be to compounds, and possibly improved bonding of tread.
No. Non-safety related changes have been disallowed, but it is yet to be seen what sort of changes would or would not be included in that. Pirelli is negotiating with the teams to determine what they would not object to, so as to avoid a confrontation with the FIA over the matter. They still want to change to back to a Kevlar belt.
That is basically what I am saying! Changes to revert to Kevlar belting will not go ahead as it is not a safety related issue, and both Ferrari and Lotus have vetoed any change. Pirelli have already confirmed that there will be NO constructional changes, but that compounds will be improved, and bonding issues will be improved.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Amazing how much better the MP4-28 is on harder side wall tyres.
What harder sidewalls? To my understanding the Pirellis brought to Monaco are the exact same construction as previous.
The super softs are the same from last year, no changes whatsoever. I believe the intermediates are the same as well but I'm only sure about the SS's. Therefore the sidewalls are the same from last year and don't deform under load the way the 2013 tyre does.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Amazing how much better the MP4-28 is on harder side wall tyres.
What harder sidewalls? To my understanding the Pirellis brought to Monaco are the exact same construction as previous.
The super softs are the same from last year, no changes whatsoever. I believe the intermediates are the same as well but I'm only sure about the SS's. Therefore the sidewalls are the same from last year and don't deform under load the way the 2013 tyre does.
Nope, the SS is softer than all tyres last year. The Soft this year is the same as the SS from last year.

Pup
Pup

gilgen wrote:
Pup wrote:
gilgen wrote:Wrong! Structural changes have been disallowed, and the only change will be to compounds, and possibly improved bonding of tread.
No. Non-safety related changes have been disallowed, but it is yet to be seen what sort of changes would or would not be included in that. Pirelli is negotiating with the teams to determine what they would not object to, so as to avoid a confrontation with the FIA over the matter. They still want to change to back to a Kevlar belt.
That is basically what I am saying! Changes to revert to Kevlar belting will not go ahead as it is not a safety related issue, and both Ferrari and Lotus have vetoed any change. Pirelli have already confirmed that there will be NO constructional changes, but that compounds will be improved, and bonding issues will be improved.
I don't mean to argue, but you're wrong. Pirelli are still pushing for a Kevlar belt. And it's Force India who vetoed the most recent proposal. That's as of yesterday per TJ13.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

beelsebob wrote: Nope, the SS is softer than all tyres last year. The Soft this year is the same as the SS from last year.
Yep, I was wrong. Apologies. +1

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
I never read/heard about these differing constructions. Source?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kiril Varbanov

bhallg2k wrote:
Pup wrote:(Brief rant about F1 photography these days: I wish those guys would take it easy on the saturation and contrast settings - it's getting a bit ridiculous. I mean, just take a look at that first photo - who looks at that and thinks its good work apart from some hipster with an instagram fetish?)
I've always liked shots like these. Because art.
Off topic:
So do I, very art, unlike what Pup pointed out. Every race I use team's official images to do some graphics and comparisons, and I can certainly tell that Mclaren's are not always in best shape for showing them, I mean, I have to apply some light fill and various fixes to get it right.
On a related note, Ferrari and Red Bull ones are also not always good, unlike Sauber's and Lotus, for example.

On topic: I've re-listened the radio channel messages for Q - Button said he had engines issues, but could not understand exactly what - does anybody know?

oT v1
oT v1

Kiril Varbanov wrote:On topic: I've re-listened the radio channel messages for Q - Button said he had engines issues, but could not understand exactly what - does anybody know?
zdrasti!

He said after qualifying that it was a fuel pump issue
The Power of Dreams

foxivan
foxivan

it seemed to me that now the car has quite good acceleration, traction and braking, which are all mechnical. The problems must be rooted in the aero side.

KingHamilton01

foxivan wrote:it seemed to me that now the car has quite good acceleration, traction and braking, which are all mechnical. The problems must be rooted in the aero side.
Not so sure about this, Car is bound to look better at a slower track like Monaco, Think we should wait to see how McLaren go in the Canadian Gp as this is high speed and good mix of corner's!
McLaren Mercedes

wunderkind
wunderkind

foxivan wrote:it seemed to me that now the car has quite good acceleration, traction and braking, which are all mechnical. The problems must be rooted in the aero side.
I hope McLaren does find a solution to their problem very soon. It's been tough to see the McLarens languishing in the mid field.

Pup
Pup

I agree that Canada will be the true test of their progress. Still, I can't help but think that the major issues with the car have been resolved and that now it's a question of making up for all that lost development time. I think what we saw this weekend is what the car was supposed to be in Australia.

KingHamilton01

It will be interesting to see what updates McLaren bring to Canada now they have concentrated on there sidepod and front wing design.
McLaren Mercedes