Indy finish

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
beelsebob
beelsebob

Indy finish

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA[/youtube]

Have fun :D

garygph
garygph

Re: Indy finish

Thank you thank you for posting something awesome like this finish that I would have missed! Did you notice that while watching that it did not matter that they were the "lights" or not F1 or not having 1000hp etc etc. It was just good close racing and, in my opinion, good brave driving. Oh how I wish we could get away from the massive influence of aero in F1 (even though it is my favourite thing to read about). It just does not make for good racing.

Tim.Wright

garygph wrote:Oh how I wish we could get away from the massive influence of aero in F1 (even though it is my favourite thing to read about). It just does not make for good racing.
Fun fact: In oval racing with an average laptime at Indy of 300km/h, aero is much much more important than in F1.
Not the engineer at Force India

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Tim.Wright wrote: Fun fact: In oval racing with an average laptime at Indy of 300km/h, aero is much much more important than in F1.
reposted
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 26 May 2013, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

garygph
garygph

Tim.Wright wrote:
garygph wrote:Oh how I wish we could get away from the massive influence of aero in F1 (even though it is my favourite thing to read about). It just does not make for good racing.
Fun fact: In oval racing with an average laptime at Indy of 300km/h, aero is much much more important than in F1.
There is a discussion to be had about that statement I think :D, your aero requirements on the average oval is very very different to a twisty circuit, but on both aero is massively important to win!

However I was not comparing aero importance but how much of a negative impact it has had on close racing in F1.

hollus

In that video I see aero actually deciding the race. Do you mean downforce in particular by any chance?
Rivals, not enemies.

garygph
garygph

hollus wrote:In that video I see aero actually deciding the race. Do you mean downforce in particular by any chance?
You are right I was alluding to that. My mistake for not being more precise with my wording. It just seemed to be such a well discussed fact on this forum that I did not need to be. Lesson learned :wink:

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote: Fun fact: In oval racing with an average laptime at Indy of 300km/h, aero is much much more important than in F1.
this seems the time to ask my perennial question ......
do drivers brake for the turns at the Indianapolis motor speedway, or just throttle back ??

if there's no braking now, was there in pre-aero times ??
(the track was designed for zero lateral g at 90 mph, banking angle 9' 42")

Sombrero
Sombrero

I found this about about brakes in the "500" pre-aero.

http://www.techshopmag.com/Article/1001 ... rakes.aspx

And don't forget today it's the time of the greatest spectacle in motorsport...

Happy motoring !

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

many thanks for that !

also liked your footage a while ago (especially Freddie Agabashian in the Cummins diesel)

Sombrero
Sombrero

You may also enjoy this... The Firestone Roadster Tires.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1952433

Tires without stagger...

abw

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
this seems the time to ask my perennial question ......
do drivers brake for the turns at the Indianapolis motor speedway, or just throttle back ??

if there's no braking now, was there in pre-aero times ??
(the track was designed for zero lateral g at 90 mph, banking angle 9' 42")
At one point, ABC was on-board with the race leader, showing the (phony?) telemetry and discussing it. He was 100% throttle, 0% brake, and penultimate gear through every turn. The commentator noted the flat-outness and said something to the effect of that's how it's supposed to work when you have the car dialed-in correctly/luckily.

jamsbong
jamsbong

Yes, those oval race cars are designed to turn around the oval. The cars have larger wheels on the outer side. as a result, it will not go straight.

Regarding the winner of the video clip, he was the last guy to come out of the slip stream. That patient planning gave him the win.
Reminds me of those sprinters in Tour De France cycling. The ones who come out from slipstream last has the best chance of winning.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

It was a good finish..but the 500 seems to be a shadow of it's former self.

*awaits flaming* but it seems to be of such a dumbed down level that even driver skills make smaller gains than they should. It is totally machine limited.

Saying that, great skills shown and respect too. Be good when they get serious with Indycars again..
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Sombrero
Sombrero

It was a good finish..but the 500 seems to be a shadow of it's former self.
Curiously I have exactly the same feeling for F-1, it's only a very pale shadow of its former glory.
*awaits flaming* but it seems to be of such a dumbed down level that even driver skills make smaller gains than they should. It is totally machine limited.
No flaming, but I prefer to watch a racing serie that is totally machine limited than a one that is tire limited...