McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Just out of curiosity what was jensons fastest lap, average lap time and qualifying lap time in the mp4-28 this year compared to last years mp4-27 at monaco?

ringo

I noticed this year that the monaco package isn't as extreme on any of the cars. Must be to do with the low limits of the pirelli tyre. The tyre can't take the downforce maybe?
For Sure!!

Kiril Varbanov

ringo wrote:I noticed this year that the monaco package isn't as extreme on any of the cars. Must be to do with the low limits of the pirelli tyre. The tyre can't take the downforce maybe?
I'm more inclined to think that teams don't care that much about Monaco, except for the shiny new helmets on the drivers. I mean, it's hardly worth investing in high downforce package if you know you can't overtake anyone?

Huntresa
Huntresa

Has anyone done a proper monaco package after 2009 rules?

adwebb22
adwebb22

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
ringo wrote:I noticed this year that the monaco package isn't as extreme on any of the cars. Must be to do with the low limits of the pirelli tyre. The tyre can't take the downforce maybe?
I'm more inclined to think that teams don't care that much about Monaco, except for the shiny new helmets on the drivers. I mean, it's hardly worth investing in high downforce package if you know you can't overtake anyone?
with these new rules the teams just can't put more downforse on the car , they already put everything they have , in the past they used to put an extra wings somewhere on the cars , today the rules just don't let them do so !!

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i disagree, the team can put the have specific wings that work best at maximum AOA and have a large DRS flap, no they cant just slap wings on but they can optimise the car for maximum downforce

adwebb22
adwebb22

allstaruk08 wrote:i disagree, the team can put the have specific wings that work best at maximum AOA and have a large DRS flap, no they cant just slap wings on but they can optimise the car for maximum downforce
yes they can put on wings that give them maximum downforse . but it is not specific for monaco . the wing and set up they use here are used on all high downforce circuits more or less , the teams don't waste time doing any part that work only on one circuit , with no in season testing i think the teams can't afford to waste any track time on parts that work just for gp .. i think probably the only gp they do spesific parts for is monza

myurr
myurr

With the resource restrictions the possible benefit probably isn't worth the expense in terms of wind tunnel and CFD time. They're better off working on the package as a whole.

SectorOne

You´d probably gain more by extracting as much mechanical grip from the car as possible.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cam

SectorOne wrote:You´d probably gain more by extracting as much mechanical grip from the car as possible.
Looks like Whitmarsh agrees with you:
After Monaco comment: "The interesting thing coming here was we actually had reasonable stability under braking, and reasonable traction, which is basically where we were being killed previously.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Pup
Pup

I think you guys have it backwards. The Monaco package seems less extreme because they pretty much run it everywhere now. With DRS and the cars not running full tilt, drag isn't as much of a penalty as it has been, so downforce reins supreme probably everywhere but Monza I'd thnk. In fact, I was really surprised at the amount of wing McLaren ran at Monza last year.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Pup wrote:I think you guys have it backwards. The Monaco package seems less extreme because they pretty much run it everywhere now. With DRS and the cars not running full tilt, drag isn't as much of a penalty as it has been, so downforce reins supreme probably everywhere but Monza I'd thnk. In fact, I was really surprised at the amount of wing McLaren ran at Monza last year.
Didnt they run more RW on Button then Hamilton or was that in 2011?

turbof1

That was Spa 2012.
#AeroFrodo

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

Huntresa wrote: Didnt they run more RW on Button then Hamilton or was that in 2011?
Monza 2010 - Button with big wing with F-duct, Hamilton skinny wing without.

SectorOne

2011 i think both ran the same wing but had more AoA then most other teams.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"