McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

richard_leeds wrote:Also a full wet setup will change the suspension to give a greater ride height if they are concerned about aquaplaning on the plank.

I recall Brawn did that on one of those rain drenched races in Asia a few years ago. The race was stopped and the team changed the suspension setup on the grid while they waited for the restart.
Yes, that was the inaugural Korean GP I beleive.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Pup
Pup

From twitter...
RT: @janci1612: #McLaren has a new floor, new rear suspension, new front wing and rear wing. They expect an improvement of 0.4 seconds #F1
Fingers crossed.

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pup
Pup

Sam Michael...
"We have got two or three things to test on the car but we brought some upgrades here and they are all working; we know they work because we did some pre-tests in Montreal on Friday. When we did some aero testing earlier this week down in Spain, we signed loads of bits off. The only bits we have got to test on the car are tweaks rather than wholesale changes, which we have already signed off."
Good news.

Racer X

It really feels like this could be the race that the team truly pushes towards the midfield instead of being behind the midfield. So IDE say about 6-8th position rather then how it used to be more then 9-13th position this is good. I love all the new bits.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ebare
ebare

gloomyandy wrote:Do wet tyres give you a higher ride height? Seem to remember they do, but not 100% sure.
The car is setted to wet track, wich imposes higher ride height.

beelsebob
beelsebob

gloomyandy wrote:Do wet tyres give you a higher ride height? Seem to remember they do, but not 100% sure.
Yes they do, they have a slightly higher diameter than the dry.

trinidefender
trinidefender

New front wing looks to be more like what other teams are running. More downforce centred on the outside in front of the front tyre. While the inner section of the wing looks like it is more dedicated to controlling where the airflow goes afterwards

Pup
Pup

Or...it could be almost identical to the one they used in Canada. :P

Holm86

Did they use any of the new parts today?? Or do they have so much confidence that they are working properly, after their spain test so they didn't have to test them today?? Perhaps we will first see the new parts in quali??

trinidefender
trinidefender

Pup wrote:From twitter...
RT: @janci1612: #McLaren has a new floor, new rear suspension, new front wing and rear wing. They expect an improvement of 0.4 seconds #F1
Fingers crossed.
It does look different in one of the pictures but yea from that angle they look the same....although in tweet that was quoted they did say they had a new front wing

Pierce89

Racer X wrote:It really feels like this could be the race that the team truly pushes towards the midfield instead of being behind the midfield. So IDE say about 6-8th position rather then how it used to be more then 9-13th position this is good. I love all the new bits.
What are the new bits?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

What did you heared about Perez's gearbox? After a similar problem with exploded rear tyre, Hamilton had to change the gearbox in Bahrain. But Whitmarsh said only about the floor...

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Saturday (29.06.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 30 Jun 2013, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Racer X

At the McLaren website I read that Sergio is going to be using older spec floor for the race due to he tire incident I guess it's an opportunity to see all the new parts on Button with the NEW Floor and how they do and how the old floor works with the same new parts but . Old floor. More data room to grow.

McLaren needs to make the most of it. Somehow.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ