McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

ajdavison2 wrote:Is it legal to run one driver with the 2012 car and one with the 2013 car?
I don't see why it wouldn't? Though the 2012 chassis needs to pass more stringent test then it used to last year. I would also imagine running 2 different cars would be a nightmare for the engineers concerning set up.
#AeroFrodo

henra
henra

shelly wrote:Yes it was the front suspension, but because of its aero effect!
Hmmm, are we really convinced that this is really the one and only Problem?
Just a slightly different arrangement of the Suspension arms and they have absolutely no way to get the airflow to work any more?
Honestly, I have some difficulties believing this. How did Ferrari solve this?

Before I really belive this theory I would like to see a tighly packaged rear/sidepods or ramp/tunnel coming close to the top contenders and maybe -just to make sure it is not the problem- a FW similar to the other Top Dogs.

adrianjordan

I wish they would run the MP4-27...just so that we can really see whether it would be as quick or faster/slower than the 28...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Coefficient
Coefficient

turbof1 wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Is it legal to run one driver with the 2012 car and one with the 2013 car?
I don't see why it wouldn't? Though the 2012 chassis needs to pass more stringent test then it used to last year. I would also imagine running 2 different cars would be a nightmare for the engineers concerning set up.
Ferrari did it at Brazil in 2002. Barrichello in the F2001 and Schumacher in the F2002.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

turbof1

Yes, but back then they had much more resources and a bigger team. They were capable of doing that. It was also a necessity for ferrari, as they were only able to finish one f2002 in time.
#AeroFrodo

mikeerfol

Will the 2012 tyres from Hungary onwards help McLaren?

wesley123
wesley123

doubt it
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Coefficient
Coefficient

turbof1 wrote:Yes, but back then they had much more resources and a bigger team. They were capable of doing that. It was also a necessity for ferrari, as they were only able to finish one f2002 in time.
I'm sure it's quite within their capabilities still today if they had a mind to do it. It won't happen though, it would be like adding insult to injury. They will plod on with the 28 for the rest of the year, perhaps not scoring at all or maybe scraping the odd point through attrition here and there. They will have a similarly barren 2014 whilst they are being kept in the dark by Mercedes. I think they are looking to 2015 really so a lot of Mclaren engineers will be seconded to the Honda testing program in order to hit the ground running in Australia 2015.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

smr
smr

The thing with last year's tyres is that they are more of a known quantity. And Mclaren were performing like a beast on them. They had properly gotten around to know the tyres.

This weekend especially in the race Jenson was struggling on the tyres a lot - and his race was spoiled in Canada because the team underestimated the longevity of one of the compounds and as a result Jenson was told to drive to target. A target delta which they realised after the race was far too slow for the compound he was driving on.

He could have perhaps therefore achieved a much better result than the one that he did.

I don't see why going back to a known quantity won't help Mclaren improve their performances this year tbh.

radosav
radosav

could they use mp4-27?

wesley123
wesley123

Cause the problem isnt the tires.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

smr
smr

wesley123 wrote:Cause the problem isnt the tires.
I know that but it doesn't help when you don't understand the tyres and can't switch them on. That furthers the problems that the car has in terms of aero etc.

smr
smr

radosav wrote:could they use mp4-27?
Yes, but they need to work the problem out with the MP4-28 to be able to attack next season properly.

radosav
radosav

smr wrote:
Yes, but they need to work the problem out with the MP4-28 to be able to attack next season properly.
what MP4-28 has with next season spec car?

smr
smr

radosav wrote:
smr wrote:
what MP4-28 has with next season spec car?
If they don't understand the problem what's going to prevent it from occurring again, for one ?