Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

For me it's a ray of hope that they begin the development of next year car so early. We saw Mercedes lat year when they used W03 only for development of the W04 in the second half of the year and they made a good car. It's the best posible information that the resources will be directed for mp4-29 :D

Racer X

RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Pup
Pup

I think Button would be a more likely choice if Vettel is doing the picking. Otherwise, they'd be fools not to get Kimi imo.

Then again, a Button/Vettel pairing would be much the same dynamic that they're used to and there's something to be said about that.

Button's been a bit of a whiner this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to make the move...and then changed his mind...then changed it again...

Holm86

Would'nt mind Button to RedBull. Kimi back at McLaren could be awesome :)

markc

Interesting dimension to the Honda McLaren 2015 relationship; I imagine Button was a contributing factor as the Japanese love him...

If true of course!

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

So Button finally becomes team leader, the position he has wanted at Mclaren for years, finally gets it and now wants to leave for Red Bull..

Holm86

Who says he wants to leave?? His contract expires next year. I personally don't see why McLaren would want to extend it.

akshat21
akshat21

Holm86 wrote:Who says he wants to leave?? His contract expires next year. I personally don't see why McLaren would want to extend it.
I agree. McLaren needs a leader. Someone like Kimi or lewis.

Button is a really nice guy. He won the championship once because he had a car that outclassed the field. But I don't think he can wrestle a bad car into a good result.

And Perez, at least for me, has not proven himself yet.

ScottB
ScottB

akshat21 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Who says he wants to leave?? His contract expires next year. I personally don't see why McLaren would want to extend it.
I agree. McLaren needs a leader. Someone like Kimi or lewis.

Button is a really nice guy. He won the championship once because he had a car that outclassed the field. But I don't think he can wrestle a bad car into a good result.

And Perez, at least for me, has not proven himself yet.
Such a calibre of driver is not easy to come by. Vettel, Lewis and Alonso are off limits, can't see why Kimi would go for a return to Mclaren, and in any case he's not much of a long term option.

Of those available, Button is probably the best bet as a safe pair of hands team leader, then they can devote the second seat to trying to unearth a gem. As you say, Perez has not proven himself to be that as yet.

Racer X

Perez definitely has not proven himself yet I agree. If button does leave if so who does McLaren take in'? Lets assume he goes to redbull. Would Kimi return NO he would re-sign with Lotus. Then who Kimi will either go to RedBull or stay at Lotus.

So if Button leaves who do we get'?

No Alonso
No Hamilton
No Kimi

Who then'? I dont think Button will leave but if he does then who'?

Paul' ,Hulk? Or Sutil? Hes driving well ,or perhaps an x F1 driver'?

Who'?

ringo

The Hulk, and if things get awry in mercedes Rosberg may come over.
Mclaren really do need experience with some speed. Hard to find nowadays with the current driver landscape.
The experienced guys with speed have moved on becuase of the pay driver reality in the sport.

Perez isn't really bad still. Button has more experience in the team and is able to work the team strategy and the setups better as he's more familar with the system. Perez is in fact doing quite well with the exception of his qualifying.
Hulkenberg i feel is probably the right kind of driver they need. Di resta is a lso a good option, even though i find him a bit boring.
For Sure!!

akshat21
akshat21

ringo wrote:The Hulk, and if things get awry in mercedes Rosberg may come over.
Mclaren really do need experience with some speed. Hard to find nowadays with the current driver landscape.
The experienced guys with speed have moved on becuase of the pay driver reality in the sport.

Perez isn't really bad still. Button has more experience in the team and is able to work the team strategy and the setups better as he's more familar with the system. Perez is in fact doing quite well with the exception of his qualifying.
Hulkenberg i feel is probably the right kind of driver they need. Di resta is a lso a good option, even though i find him a bit boring.
I still would prefer McLaren offer kimi what he needs to be in McLaren. Be it money or freedom.

They will be among the big spenders again from 2015 onwards as Honda returns. In the short run (three to four years) kimi is a good option. I don't see him going to Ferrari because of Alonso and Red Bull because it will always be Vettel centric (Helmut Marko).

Lotus is a good car this year, but with the loss of Allison, I don't see them becoming a top team any time soon.

gary123

i would prefer Stoffel Vandoorne. he is doing very well in the formula renault 3.0 he is beating Kevin Magnussen. im a little bit nostalgic :D

Racer X

I'm actually a Perez fan but some one with less experience then Sergio would be bad for McLaren.
I'm a realist tho I don't play the fan boy game I'm a Perez fan but when he doesn't drive well I don't appreciate that from him.

I'm a fan not a fan boy.

But I'm a bigger McLaren fan and McLaren needs a man like Kimi. If they do get him I would be happy. If Button stays I would also think this is a good move since Button would cary over alot of experience into the MP4-29 McLaren need some stability to be better off in the long run.

Paul is a bit boring between him and say Hulk or the STR Drivers I pick any of the other guys. I can't how ever see Lotus letting to of Kimi.

But like yuve said guys. HONDA and McLarens Works partnership does make McLaren a big target for future world championships. The opportunity they present is there for future growth. Maybe with this Kimi would go. Who will join Sergio the Yound 23 year old for 2014 and onwards'?

This season just became interesting.

Also Ferrari will maybe let go off Massa...... What if Massa was allowed to race what if Massa is amazing but he's been stuck a number 2 all his career. What if MASSA lol just kidding guys. But really this is

Chuckjr

In the imaginary land where Kimi does not go to RB, and Macca lands a mighty big fish in Kimi, I think Button should be the one to go. Cheko could observe Kimi and learn from that. Jenson can play the Barichello game and work his way around the grid for years if he wants to stay in...maybe even get lucky at Lotus. Jenson is a good team partner and would be an asset to any lesser team. It will be interesting to see what Macca does though. They have moved into the position of setting up for a long term winning future so its a critical time for sure. Reminds me when Ferrari was building a new team after the dry early 90's. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Macca, but I do wish them well. The sport is better absolutely with them in the mix.

In all reality, Kimi is on his way to RB imo, and it will be fantastic to see him against Vettle. No bs, just get in and drive. Should be great for spicing up the sport.
Watching F1 since 1986.