McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

What's in that housing on the rear crash structure? are they sensors? :?:

Sevach
Sevach

Perez FW vibrates a lot.

stefan_
stefan_

Germany 2013 - Saturday (06.07.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 06 Jul 2013, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

So the old 2012 compounds come into force from Hungary onwards, certainly by Spa if you are to believe what Paul Hembery said. Lets see if that correlates with better performance for Mcl.
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 06 Jul 2013, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pilatus

stefan_
stefan_

Indeed, seems like I mixed up some links. Sorry.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

adrianjordan

JimClarkFan wrote:So the old 2012 compounds come into force from Hungary onwards, certainly by Spa if you are to believe what Paul Hembery said. Lets see if that correlates with better performance for Mcl.
2012 construction, 2013 compounds.

But as McLaren seem to be able to work with the 2013 compounds anyway it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

WhiteBlue

adrianjordan wrote:..as McLaren seem to be able to work with the 2013 compounds anyway it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement...
Don't bet on it. A slow car will remain a slow car. The change of construction only means that some teams will figure out the tyres quicker than others and optimize their car around it. The 2012 construction primarily has different aero properties but those are well known. So it will take neither Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari nor Lotus very long to adapt to them.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Holm86

Really don't believe that tires is the problem by now. Perhaps the new tires gave them some problems in the beginning. But if they still haven't figured the new tires out they need some new engineers. It shouldn't take so long.

So I really don't expect them to get any sort of boost performance wise with the tires used from next race onwards.

Their real problems is that they lost Lowe. Its hard understanding issues with the car when the guy who designed the car isn't there anymore. And I also think that Hamilton has been a bit underestimated when it comes to giving feedback to the engineers. I really think that he has been giving good feedback that the engineers could use to improve the car previous years. Button don't seem like he has any clue when it comes to feedback. He often has big trouble finding a setup that works for him. Always complaining about what is wrong with the car. Don't know about Perez but don't think he's that good at feedback either.

And then it becomes hard to sort out issues with a car.

Racer X

Warning I might be incredibly wrong and I hope I am. This is just something that got me thinking.
With the whole feedback talk And car Development.

We cant really judge Perez. But Sergio said something That bothered me during the presentation of the car.

Do you guys remember when he insinuated that he had been "doing all the work" at the MTC while Button was off running in Hawaii.

Well button said that but. What if thats true. What if the engineers had a guy (Sergio) the NEW guy as the guy doing all the feedback. With the Simulator. This guy new to the team was probably of no use due to his trying to learn the car.
Also Button couldnt have phoned it in. We all know he was in Hawaii. His and his gfns Twitters kept us updated on how well he was doing on his long runs..... Sooo I have to be a fan boy here and believe that Hamilton probably did do more for the engineers then Button in the last few years I mean how much help could Button have been in Hawaii. The guys really nice and loves to talk and play the politics game but. Dam I just dont think he was of much help during the winter break in Hawaii.

It does bother me because he maid such a big deal about how this MP4-28 would be built to suit him as Sergio would be of no help because new guy and hes young and its true not experienced enough new team new car new system. How ever then when did he take the time to make the MP4-28 a 'Pure Button' car. If he phoned it in.... It shows.

I hope Perez has a better season next year and spends little time in Mexico. I hope Button Spends a little more time in this winter break at the MTC.

I hope im wrong and just being a crazy fan boy.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Racer X wrote:Warning I might be incredibly wrong and I hope I am. This is just something that got me thinking.

We cant really judge Perez. But Sergio said something That bothered me during the presentation of the car.

Do you guys remember when he insinuated that he had been "doing all the work" at the MTC while Button was off running in Hawaii.

Well button said that but. What if thats true. What if the engineers had a guy (Sergio) the NEW guy as the guy doing all the feedback. With the Simulator. This guy new to the team was probably of no use due to his trying to learn the car.
Also Button couldnt have phoned it in. We all know he was in Hawaii. His and his gfns Twitters kept us updated on how well he was doing on his long runs..... Sooo I have to be a fan boy here and believe that Hamilton probably did do more for the engineers then Button in the last few years I mean how much help could Button have been in Hawaii. The guys really nice and loves to talk and play the politics game but. Dam I just dont think he was of much help during the winter break in Hawaii.

It does bother me because he maid such a big deal about how this MP4-28 would be built to suit him as Sergio would be of no help because new guy and hes young and its true not experienced enough new team new car new system. How ever then when did he take the time to make the MP4-28 a 'Pure Button' car. If he phoned it in.... It shows.

I hope Perez has a better season next year and spends little time in Mexico. I hope Button Spends a little more time in this winter break at the MTC.

The first thing I want to know is, do you have any articles are videos that prove what you are saying?

Peter Piper

Racer X wrote:Warning I might be incredibly wrong and I hope I am. This is just something that got me thinking.

I'm by no means an expert in the field, but would a drivers feedback from January in a simulator (is that when he joined the team?) be able to derail over a years worth of data-driven work on this years car?

Also, Buttons been driving for McLaren for 3 years now. Presumably the team know his requirements and would be keen to make sure Sergio was comfortable in the car?

I'm no expert but if a driver has as much clout in car development as you suggest you'd have to ask what all the engineers are being paid for!

stefan_
stefan_

I think the car was probably 99% complete when Checo joined the team and his input was minimum, probably in terms of minor setup guidances of what he likes or not likes the car to do when he's driving. So no.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Well 6th and 8th sounds better than usual this season. The car also looked a lot more on the pace that previous races. Any changes on the car between the British Grand Prix and the German prix?

Javert

trinidefender wrote:Well 6th and 8th sounds better than usual this season. The car also looked a lot more on the pace that previous races. Any changes on the car between the British Grand Prix and the German prix?
I think the car is better when softer tires and tires management is enabled :mrgreen:

In Silverstone they weren't too bad, running in 7° and 8° position before Vettel parked on the straight
After the SC Perez exploded the tyre and Button had finished his tires