McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Young Drivers Test 2013 Day 2 (Silverstone) - 18.07.2013

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

trinidefender
trinidefender

Can anybody give more info about the lines in the floor? Or have any other pictures of that area.....looks kinda odd but very interesting.

Also is it just me or did they move the exhausts further back, closer to where they were on the launch spec car?

Carmack

Those lines, I belive, are for temperature measurements.

marcush.
marcush.

trinidefender wrote:Can anybody give more info about the lines in the floor? Or have any other pictures of that area.....looks kinda odd but very interesting.

Also is it just me or did they move the exhausts further back, closer to where they were on the launch spec car?

Tempilaq
http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilaq ... g-liquids/

it´s available for almost every temperature you would be interested in .The stuff is applied with a paint brush and changes from glossy to dull colour when specified temperature is reached .so you can actually draw a map of surface temperature distribution with this .Accuracy 1%,and the pricing is also ok .As always you be interested where and when things happen so
the question is why they are happy with this approach .
I would simply build the test pieces with integral thermocouples and get accurate time plots for surface and ambient temps
at modest investment compared to this rather amateurish attempts.

adrianjordan

I can't help but wonder whether they are hoping that their original design for the rear airflow will work now with the new tyres...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

wesley123
wesley123

adrianjordan wrote:I can't help but wonder whether they are hoping that their original design for the rear airflow will work now with the new tyres...
It's not the original design, it is the updated one with the bump removed
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marcush. wrote: the question is why they are happy with this approach .
I would simply build the test pieces with integral thermocouples and get accurate time plots for surface and ambient temps
Maybe they just want to check that a certain threshold temperature isn't exceeded. E.g. you might want the floor never to be subjected to a temperature above XdegC so you can easily paint X-temp paint on the floor and see if it changes. Much simpler and cheaper than setting up thermocouples etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

Just_a_fan wrote:
marcush. wrote: the question is why they are happy with this approach .
Maybe they just want to check that a certain threshold temperature isn't exceeded. E.g. you might want the floor never to be subjected to a temperature above XdegC so you can easily paint X-temp paint on the floor and see if it changes. Much simpler and cheaper than setting up thermocouples etc.
that seems rather short sighted ...as a temperature exposure is always time dependand and a max temperature does not really tell you anything at all apart from there is this and that temp not exceeded ..
It seems odd we are talking about a few € to save compared with the information you could possibly gain in terms of reliability of data and machinery compared to this approach.
It´s not like they could not afford a few thermocouples ...the temp range in question would set you back 10or 15 bucks per piece ...so nothing realy to worry about ...it may be the labour especially when considering the time to scrape through all the generated data ..eg you´d need someone to write scripts to transform your data in useful plots for the boffins to rethink their latest creations .

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

marcush. wrote: ...it may be the labour especially when considering the time to scrape through all the generated data ..eg you´d need someone to write scripts to transform your data in useful plots for the boffins to rethink their latest creations .
nah, you can buy inexpensive interface modules and software to input the tc output right into an artsy-fartsy PC graph with dates and times and such. I did this at university for a composite cure cooling study. the tcs, modules, and software is really cheap.

trinidefender
trinidefender

marcush. wrote:
trinidefender wrote:Can anybody give more info about the lines in the floor? Or have any other pictures of that area.....looks kinda odd but very interesting.

Tempilaq
http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilaq ... g-liquids/

it´s available for almost every temperature you would be interested in .The stuff is applied with a paint brush and changes from glossy to dull colour when specified temperature is reached .so you can actually draw a map of surface temperature distribution with this .Accuracy 1%,and the pricing is also ok .As always you be interested where and when things happen so
the question is why they are happy with this approach .
In aviation we use things called "teletemps" simply little strips that are on most aircraft on areas such as gearboxes and clutch units etc. they start off white and change colour to a dark grey according to the maximum temperature reached. With these a pilot/mechanic can check the maximum temperature from a previous flight and after each flight obtained. Note however that once these teletemps change to a certain colour they do no revert back. There are also many for different temperature ranges....explains how it would be useful around the exhaust gas flow area...can easily and discreetly tell McLaren where exactly the majority of their exhaust gases are going

Forza

Silverstone YDT- Day 3 - 19/07/13
‏@tgruener- AMuS
#F1 Tech update: @McLarenF1 running new nose with wider pillars. Friday
Last edited by Forza on 19 Jul 2013, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

akshat21
akshat21

Forza wrote:
‏@tgruener- AMuS
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 704642.jpg
Is it me or is the pylons making the wing look to close to the ground??

gary123

akshat21 wrote:
Forza wrote:
‏@tgruener- AMuS
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 704642.jpg
Is it me or is the pylons making the wing look to close to the ground??
the front wing is not on the the car ;)
edit: you're right! i can see the tire... :D
Last edited by gary123 on 19 Jul 2013, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

Those temp indicators are to indicate the exhaust flow. I suspect they are not interested in the actual temperature of the floor, they just want to know the distribution of the hot gasses.

Having said that, the static sensors only indicate the envelope or range and have single use. Using electronic sensors gives scope to repeat the tests and see different patterns, for example different speeds for each lap.

stefan_
stefan_

via Jennie Gow
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985