McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
smr
smr

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

I'm hoping there's a big improvement in Spa and Monza as well, the team have definitely found more performance in the car the last two races.

astracrazy
astracrazy

apparently they made improvements because they tried some 2014 parts and it improved this car. The only updates they will be bringing to the car will be 2014 test parts - if they improve this car then they'll stay on the car this year as well

trinidefender
trinidefender

astracrazy wrote:apparently they made improvements because they tried some 2014 parts and it improved this car. The only updates they will be bringing to the car will be 2014 test parts - if they improve this car then they'll stay on the car this year as well
Source?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

So now they seem to have more downforce at the back of the car, and given that Jenson was complaining of understeer, does that mean we can confirm that the wing on the Mclaren isn't up to the job?

JDC123
JDC123

i thought mclaren said last year they had more than enough downforce produced by the front wing and could produce more but were limited by the rear.

beelsebob
beelsebob

JDC123 wrote:i thought mclaren said last year they had more than enough downforce produced by the front wing and could produce more but were limited by the rear.
Yep, and it's clearly true, however, they're now in a situation where adding the downforce back onto the front wing will rob the rear of downforce, because their design is now entirely about flow under the nose.

gary123

JimClarkFan wrote:So now they seem to have more downforce at the back of the car, and given that Jenson was complaining of understeer, does that mean we can confirm that the wing on the Mclaren isn't up to the job?
it could be. im curious if they will bring a new front wing...

Huntresa
Huntresa

gary123 wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:So now they seem to have more downforce at the back of the car, and given that Jenson was complaining of understeer, does that mean we can confirm that the wing on the Mclaren isn't up to the job?

This is the new FW tho :D

gary123

Huntresa wrote:
gary123 wrote:

This is the new FW tho :D
Yes it is but the current front wing was create during the "Blackout" period :D now they said that have understood the problems :D

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

Martin Whitmarsh has already said 2 races ago, that they have a radically new front-wing in development which will have aspects that will carry over to next year.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... itmarsh-qa

Racer X

onewingedangel wrote:Martin Whitmarsh has already said 2 races ago, that they have a radically new front-wing in development which will have aspects that will carry over to next year.

When will we see this RADICALLY new front wing. Because the wings at Germany and Hungarian GP looked just about as radical as the front wing on the Sauber.

Lets wait and see.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

trinidefender
trinidefender

Racer X wrote:
onewingedangel wrote:Martin Whitmarsh has already said 2 races ago, that they have a radically new front-wing in development which will have aspects that will carry over to next year.

When will we see this RADICALLY new front wing. Because the wings at Germany and Hungarian GP looked just about as radical as the front wing on the Sauber.

Lets wait and see.
Not sure what you meant by that.....it is the same front wing that has been used for a few races now

astracrazy
astracrazy

trinidefender wrote:
astracrazy wrote:apparently they made improvements because they tried some 2014 parts and it improved this car. The only updates they will be bringing to the car will be 2014 test parts - if they improve this car then they'll stay on the car this year as well
Source?
Button said it on sky that 2014 test parts improved the car so they kept them on. I'm pretty sure it was an interview shown on the f1 show or it might have been on the race build up

edit: after looking at his interviews online i can only see him making reference to 2014 parts and future races. Maybe i miss heard. Oops!
Last edited by astracrazy on 31 Jul 2013, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

astracrazy wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Source?
Button said it on sky that 2014 test parts improved the car so they kept them on. I'm pretty sure it was an interview shown on the f1 show or it might have been on the race build up
Button only stated that the 2014 parts that were brought helped. Nowhere in that interview was it stated that the ONLY parts they will bring from now on are 2014 parts. If I missed that then please direct me to it

Pup
Pup

It is indeed interesting that the front wing has remained relatively unchanged since the start of the season - to the often-voiced chagrin of some here - especially now that we have Button's comments on the current state of the car's aero...
"We've completely changed the car aerodynamically. It's a completely different philosophy now, it's back to the idea that we had last year and the idea that most of the pitlane have," he said.

"It was bringing the airflow over the top of the sidepod to the rear end of the car, where you have the rear wing and the floor - where you really need the downforce.

"Now, if you look at the car, the sidepods cut in more trying to get the clean air to the rear of the car. It's working well but the development is behind the other teams.
One would think that the front wing is the primary driver of where the air does go - at least that's the party line here at F1tech; yet Button would have us believe that all the good stuff happens aft of the radiators. I wonder.