Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Racer X

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 20281.html

Sergio Perez Rates himself 6/10 on his performance so far this year's season.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Racer X

Kiril Varbanov

Mclaren are going to conduct an aero test at Vairano this week - confirmed to Jennie Gow.

mikeerfol

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Mclaren are going to conduct an aero test at Vairano this week - confirmed to Jennie Gow.
Yeah, Jenson said they had an aero efficiency problem they wanted to sort out before Monza.

Holm86

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh says Kimi Räikkönen "is determined" to leave Lotus for the 2014 Formula 1 campaign, and has revealed that he last season made attempts to bring the former World Champion back to the Woking-based outfit.

Although talks have not been held so far this year, with Whitmarsh stating his ambition to keep Jenson Button and Sergio Pérez onboard for at least another term, he admits he has been interested in re-signing the Finn, whom he ultimately expects to stay put.

Räikkönen previously raced for McLaren from 2002 to 2006, where he secured his first nine F1 victories and finished runner-up in the 2003 and 2005 campaigns.

"Yes, we have," Whitmarsh told the official Formula 1 website when asked if he has thought about securing the Finn. "Kimi has always been great and I am a big fan of him. There is a lot of speculation out there at the moment, so let’s see what happens.

"Obviously Kimi is determined to go somewhere else and I sense that he will not succeed in that goal, so let’s see how he gets on there."

He added: "I probably shouldn’t be, but I’m completely open - last year we had talks with him, but for various reasons it didn’t happen. This year we’ve had no talks - yet."

Whitmarsh went on to explain that it "could be" possible for discussions over a future seat to be held, but claimed Button and Pérez both "deserve another go" in 2014.
Source:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2994 ... d-to-move/

Racer X

Yes I read this too basically they have not talked but theirs a chance they might. Does Sergio have a multi-year contract.

Is Button leaving'?

This would all depend on Button staying? Or will Perez leave?

I still see Kimi more in redbull then McLaren but what I wonder is will Button extend his contract'?

Pup
Pup

A bit late to start talking about talking, isn't it? Sounds to me like McLaren weren't invited to the party and Martin is feeling a bit left out. Why on earth haven't they talked to Kimi, if only to test the waters? They have telephones in Woking, Martin, it's not like you have to sit around waiting for Kimi to ask you to the prom.

*sigh*

While I'm on it, I snipped this from the car thread, only to add support to my argument that McLaren's problems are and have been management related. From the man in charge...
“The weakness of McLaren - and this is probably my fault - is that we have not switched [enough] resources to the next year,” he revealed, “We fought and battled on for this season, as we are racers - that is our weakness. In the past, often we've been a bit late - we've come out slow and then put a foot on the gas. Often we've been in a situation where we've made a mistake, then we rectified that mistake and jumped forward. But, this year, the problem that we have with this car is that we are behind in development. You then push hard to accelerate development, you lose correlation from the wind tunnel to the track, you lose your way and it becomes difficult to make the progress that you want.”
Martin tries to make this all sound noble, but it's really just plain old mismanagement - a failure to allocate resources properly for the long term.

I'm also beginning to think he's out and knows it - he gives these interviews and it sounds like he's pleading his case to Ron more than anything else.

Holm86

I'm pretty sure that if Raikkonen comes to McLaren it would be instead of Button. If I remember correctly Perez deal was a multi-year deal. And Buttons contract ends by the end of this season.

And I also do believe that Perez has something to do with the new sponsor which is reveled in December.

Racer X

So next year we will likely see a Button Perez. But there's a chance we see Kimi Perez. How would that work out....

akshat21
akshat21

Holm86 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if Raikkonen comes to McLaren it would be instead of Button. If I remember correctly Perez deal was a multi-year deal. And Buttons contract ends by the end of this season.

And I also do believe that Perez has something to do with the new sponsor which is reveled in December.
Contracts in F1 are never set in stone. Best example of this is kimi when he was at Ferrari.

A driver like Perez wouldn't have cost them too much to hire in the first place.

As for the sponsorship side. Remember McLaren has GSK and they are increasing their involvement with McLaren.

I always believed that button is a great no 2 driver. So I would much rather see a kimi/button partnership at McLaren.

gary123

In another interview Martin said that McLaren is happy with their drivers line up, and they want to keep it even next year.
edit:sorry i didn't read the last part of the article that Holm86 posted :D

Racer X

Last edited by Racer X on 11 Sep 2013, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

mikeerfol

Can someone confirm that besides Red Bull, McLaren are doing a Pirelli test as well this week?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... Eheadlines

Whitmarsh confirming there will be a (potentially several) headline signings to bolster their technical capabilities, and possibly a change in management? Badly needed if you ask me, macca have been a bit down on brain power recently.

I could see someone coming in to replace whitmarsh, potentially brawn.

adrianjordan

I thought Brawn had confirmed he was continuing with Mercedes?

Any thoughts on other names that would be "headline grabbing"??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️