Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

mkay wrote:
Then, why isn't Mercedes setting its gears like RBR?
Probably because they fear it leaves them vulnerable in the race. We know what happened with SV in Hungary: couldn't get passed Button. Red Bull has a different philosophy on this. I also fear Red Bull has a more efficient diffuser then mercedes.
#AeroFrodo

theformula

Check this out, regarding the wheel rims: http://www.scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/09/0 ... heel-rims/
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

smlbstcbr
smlbstcbr

scarbs wrote:Mercedes have been running these rims at Monza with a black inner coating and a cross cut pattern forged into their inner face. Might be an aero or thermal solution...
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... _rim-s.jpg
Well, that should put an end to the speculation that the rims were hollow and that a black tape was used on the bottom of the former slot.

SectorOne

Looks like a heat sink on a graphics card almost. Very cool stuff.

Car looks fine to me, don´t get discouraged by being 1 sec of the red bull in FP2.
I think FP1 gives a much better indication of where people are at the moment.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob
beelsebob

scarbs wrote:Mercedes have been running these rims at Monza with a black inner coating and a cross cut pattern forged into their inner face. Might be an aero or thermal solution...
Looks very like a heat sink. I'd bet they're doing their best to draw the heat out of the tyres.

mantikos
mantikos

beelsebob wrote:
Looks very like a heat sink. I'd bet they're doing their best to draw the heat out of the tyres.

Actually if you read the article and think about it - the heatsink in this case is trying to draw the heat from the brakes into the rim where it would heat the tire to keep it warm between corners

The heatsink is taking heated air from the brakes into the rim...not the other way around - this is why it is black - and absorbent color

ltitus
ltitus

Hey guys, looking at Mercedes beam wing, could it be possible that they could be running a solution similar to red bull where they are blowing the beam wing to stall it?? I believe I read about red bull doing something like that.

atanatizante

Regarding DRD they were putting a lot of hopes that it could give them a good boost in top speed here (that`s why they brought this small RW because it runs in conjunction with DRD) but unfortunately they won`t use it in the prospect of a Sunday wet race ...
Sadly that was the last chance they could use this device, isn`t it?
Maybe Suzuka, Austin and Interlagos?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

adrianjordan

Completely off-topic, but seeing that I couldn't help but imagine the engineer sitting there making fake race car noises.... :P
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diego.liv
diego.liv

I thought ro recall Ross on DRD in Monza, this is from 2 seasons ago:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102447

"It's a passive system – and can only work in certain combinations of corners. With the Ascari chicane at Monza, it was a bit quick to be able to use it there.

Everyone agrees Ascari is too fast?? A possible explanation of this quote could be that they weren't perfectly aware about how tuning it?

tony77g
tony77g

Craig has already posted this picture yesterday. The Mercedes after the sealing strip test a knurled surface

atanatizante

What is the main reason Merc. has the smallest RW main plain in whith compared to RBR who has the largest one?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

David1976
David1976

Can anyone explain to me why the Merc rear wing was vibrating like crazy at Monza?

It looked like it was about to disintegrate at any moment...

mikeerfol

David1976 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why the Merc rear wing was vibrating like crazy at Monza?

It looked like it was about to disintegrate at any moment...
Rosberg complained about it on the radio, the team told him it was because of the turbulance from other cars' tows.

MacX