Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Random thought, that I don't really see a clear rule about... Is it allowed to use different wheel rims between qualifying and the race? I assume so, because park fermé ends as soon as you leave the grid, so as long as you use the same rims in the first stint as you did in qually, that seems like you should be able to change. Any thoughts?

Bomber_Pilot

This was introduced in 2010

28.7 a) One specification of each of the following parts must be homologated prior to the first Event of the Championship season:
– survival cell;
– principal and second roll structures;
– front, rear and side impact structures ;
– front wheel;
– rear wheel.
Once homologated, changes to the these parts will only be permitted for clear safety or reliability reasons following written approval from the FIA.

If this still stands today, I don't think you are alowed to have two different sets of wheel rims.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Bomber_Pilot wrote:This was introduced in 2010

28.7 a) One specification of each of the following parts must be homologated prior to the first Event of the Championship season:
– survival cell;
– front wheel;
– rear wheel.
Once homologated, changes to the these parts will only be permitted for clear safety or reliability reasons following written approval from the FIA.

If this still stands today, I don't think you are alowed to have two different sets of wheel rims.
Ah, thank you. I was wondering if Merc could run a qualifying (make the tyre hot) rim, and a race one, but apparently not. Interesting that Merc must have presented a safety case to the FIA for their old rim being unsafe.

Bomber_Pilot

@beelsebob I am going through current F1 tech reg, and I am not sure if my previous post is valid for this year since I cannot find anything about homologation for this year so far. The chasis deffinetly isn't homologated, since you can build an entirely new one, as long as it passes the chrash tests. I am not sure about the wheel rims though.

Richard
Richard

That homolgation clause no longer exists, which is why team can adjust the chassis & wheels mid-season.

SectorOne

It used to be no homologation, then there was, now it´s gone.
Ferrari had a rim that nobody else had and was alone the whole season with it, year after they removed the homologation.

Mercedes has introduced new wheel rims mid season this year.
If you can change during a race i can´t find anything that says you can´t.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Steven
Owner

SectorOne wrote:It used to be no homologation, then there was, now it´s gone.
Ferrari had a rim that nobody else had and was alone the whole season with it, year after they removed the homologation.

Mercedes has introduced new wheel rims mid season this year.
If you can change during a race i can´t find anything that says you can´t.
Indeed, I believe the only limitation on changing parts is that the new item may not be heavier than the previous one. This was originally introduced for nose cone changes, but may apply to wheels as well.

krisfx
krisfx

beelsebob wrote:
Bomber_Pilot wrote:This was introduced in 2010

– survival cell;
– front wheel;
– rear wheel.

Ah, thank you. I was wondering if Merc could run a qualifying (make the tyre hot) rim, and a race one, but apparently not. Interesting that Merc must have presented a safety case to the FIA for their old rim being unsafe.

Afaik there's a specification for the rim material as in a specific type of Magnesium, so wouldn't it be quite hard to control the heat with them?

SectorOne

I believe they can only use two types of Magnesium.

But i think what Belse is talking about is having one wheel with the heatsink and one without it depending on what compound is going on to the car.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:I believe they can only use two types of Magnesium.

But i think what Belse is talking about is having one wheel with the heatsink and one without it depending on what compound is going on to the car.
Exactly.

krisfx
krisfx

Ah okay,

I didn't know things like that could be done within the material spec, my bad :)

heimana
heimana

updates for singapour?

Mika1
Mika1

heimana wrote:updates for singapour?
And Korea.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Livingthedream
Livingthedream

by SectorOne » 14 Sep 2013, 13:17

I believe they can only use two types of Magnesium.

Nice insight to the heat sink here
http://f1times.co.uk/mobile/display/08027

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Merc is most likely creating a heat pump between the brakes and the inflation gases in the rear wheel. Paradoxically, using the heat from the brakes as the energy source to cool the rear tyres.

Genius.