Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mui
Mui

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

GrandAxe wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:Talking about the Merc rims, I noticed that Lewis tyres cooled under braking off the start line, while Massa's heated up.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Probably the difference between front and rear tyres under braking.
No, off the start line Massa's rears were relatively cool compared to Lewis, then at the first corner, you could see Massa's rears heat up as he braked. At that precise moment, strangely, Lewis red hot tyres cooled down.

I posted almost immediately I observed it during the race, so my observation might be off mark, but I doubt that it is.
Does anyone have the recording?
1. It could be that Massa's brake bias was more on the rears and Hamilton's more on the front. This can also explain why Massa had oversteer all weekend long

2. Massa braked harder. I'm thinking this is more likely

raymondu999

It would make sense if Lewis's tyres heated up LESS - but GrandAxe is saying that Lewis' tyres COOLED under braking. Which makes no sense to me.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:It would make sense if Lewis's tyres heated up LESS - but GrandAxe is saying that Lewis' tyres COOLED under braking. Which makes no sense to me.
It doesn't sound like it's necessarily something you'd want either, but video proof would be nice so we can see the effect. If they are doing that then could it be there's a changed in airflow as the car dives under braking that then blows air in a different manner through the wheels? If they were to cool the wheels as braking load was being put through them then there could be an advantage when they then get heated during the subsequent acceleration. Still sounds weird though.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Ok, I found a video. Notice how Lewis rears go from easily being the hottest around to a duller orange/purple as he brakes and runs wide, then heat up again as he accelerates - Massa's glow briefly as he brakes.
Also, Lewis front rims glow orange under braking, while Massa's don't (cutting out the brake bias theory). The picture is not as dramatic as my mind's eye maintained it, nevertheless its there - when they get off the brakes, Lewis tyres are cooler than Massa's, even though he started with much hotter tyres:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQLXu5mlKU[/youtube]

myurr
myurr

Okay what you're seeing is Lewis getting wheelspin off the line that overheats the tyres, and then getting off the brakes earlier when he runs wide where the track / air is likely to be cooler anyway due to the lack of other cars out there.

Nothing unusual.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Yup, he just lights up the rears at the start, then runs off track and loses tyre temps relative to everyone else as he's going straight over an unused/dirty surface of the track instead of navigating the corners.

SectorOne

As said above, lights up the rear tires to temps higher then what you would get during braking into T1,
net result: rears cooling down.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

gray41

Was there a report that Korea would be last place we see updates?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

stefan_
stefan_

Korea 2013 - Wednesday (02.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Ferraripilot

Is that Geoff Willis I see back there?

stefan_
stefan_

Korea 2013 - Thursday (03.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

elf341
elf341

Ferraripilot wrote:Is that Geoff Willis I see back there?
I don't think that's Willis.

emmepi27
emmepi27

They have 3 slot now (like Red Bull and Ferrari)

turbof1

Updates we'll probably see next year too; especially since the exhaust can't be used anymore for sealing off the diffuser, so tyre squirt will be more critical.
#AeroFrodo

SamH123
SamH123

Tobias Grüner ams F1
"According to Mercedes calculations @nico_rosberg lost 1,7 secs per lap in Singapore due to rubber stuck in frontwing after restart."

Do you guys reckon that's possible?
It doesn't make sense to lose that much time in my mind