McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

turbof1 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:The sidepods on this car look quite peculiar in certain angles. I took one myself but found one above as well.

http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 725481.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x6EqYdO.jpg

Rather odd looking shape for a sidepod. Looks like a tumor growing outwards.
Surely that must affect CoG quite badly to have that weight so high up and so far out.
The reasoning behind it is they want a "u-shaped" sidepod to better direct air down under. Essentially they copied this from mercedes. In almost all the cases, teams are more then willing to sacrifice CoG for aero advantages.
I'm not convinced that you could effectively argue that McLaren copied U shaped side pods from Merc, and not the reverse ;P

turbof1

If you are referring to the 2011 car, it isn't like the idea originated at the brilliant mind of a mclaren employee; it got featured on a ferrari in the 90's, and perhaps even before then.

Mercedes used this sidepod style from the start of winter testing. Mclaren copied to somewhere along the road (China or Malaysia, not sure).
#AeroFrodo

michl420
michl420

Also the bulge itself is just there for air directing (inside and outside) and weights practically nothing. But i agree, sometimes it looks weard.

SectorOne

So there´s pretty much nothing in that huge bulge? i thought they packed in electronics and all other stuff in there.
Other teams shrink-wrap their sidepods and engine covers around the internals from what i understand.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Racer X

I heard that they have a new front wing on Jensons car but not Sergios can you guys confirms this?

Also does Perez car also have that huge bulge or is it just on Buttons car.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

gary123

Racer X wrote:I heard that they have a new front wing on Jensons car but not Sergios can you guys confirms this?

Here the front wing at omnicorse http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/31311/ ... are-carico
for the rest i have no source.

iotar__

Racer X wrote:I heard that they have a new front wing on Jensons car but not Sergios can you guys confirms this?

Yes only Button, he won a coin toss (s.: AMuS)
(then they repeated it ten times and it was always Button ;-))

trinidefender
trinidefender

That looks exactly like the wing they have been using for a while. Can anybody spot the difference?

wesley123
wesley123

The inner edge of the front wing is slightly different. Normally the slot between the first and second plane continued over the whole width of the wing, now it stops a little short inboard
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

shelly
shelly

henra wrote:Yep, exactly that is what I assume as well. If my assumption is correct the outer strake is just used to properly push/direct the air (displaced by the tyres) over the inner strake (which seems to have toe-in) and create local high pressure between the strakes, thereby initiating a vortex which is rotating clockwise (left side of the car) when seen from behind and counter- clockwise on the right side of the car, respectively.
I agree on that. In my opinion the strakes work like the series of winglets on top of the sidepod, only being the flow angle very different in few cms width the outer one is very angled and gives the shape that resembles a funnel.

2 converging strakes does not mean that flow would be accelerated in between - no venturi or nozzle or funnel in my opinion. The strake that has been "added" is the outer one: the inner one is similar to what other teams are running, with exhaust flowing inside of it, the outer strake pushes the flow around the inner more. Still, given that @f1_aero thinks differently, I am more likely wrong than not
twitter: @armchair_aero

Spacepace

I believe McLaren are changing there philosophy of rear wing. The last two years they have been running with what seems to me the biggest rear wing. This weekends Rw however is more or less like everyone else's; smaller but with less strakes on the endplates to maybe compensate for less downforce.

henra
henra

shelly wrote: 2 converging strakes does not mean that flow would be accelerated in between - no venturi or nozzle or funnel in my opinion.
I think we're in violent agreement here.
Even though the flow between the strakes will be very slightly accelerated at the exit but that is IMHO not the desired effect itself, it simply cannot be avoided. Upstream between the strakes the flow will be significantly slower and that is in my opinion the much more important aspect.
I think the real trick is the resulting increased static pressure between the strakes. inward of the inner strake you have low pressure caused by the fast exhaust gases. This will cause a rotating movement over the inner strake due to the pressure differential (similar to how the footplate vortex is created). This rotation will force the exhaust gases to rotate too, thereby further increasing velocity/energy and stabilising/bundling them.
The strake that has been "added" is the outer one: the inner one is similar to what other teams are running, with exhaust flowing inside of it, the outer strake pushes the flow around the inner more.
Again: We are in full agreement with the tiny exception that I think the inner strake is mounted slightly different to the regular ones in that it seems to have a slight toe- in, thereby creating more opposing force on floor level to the inward flow in front of the tyre which is directed/supported by the added outer strake.

stefan_
stefan_

Korea 2013 - Saturday (05.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

The Pj
The Pj

Rear wing for Suzuka Circuit Vs Monza
https://twitter.com/Pjdona/status/387919111193239552

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2013 - Thursday (10.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985