Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

You have a black belt? In Karate? Mercedes has got one on its tires - http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2013/09 ... zzato.html

Cristiano Sponton gives an insight on the Polysil.

emmepi27
emmepi27

They have new diffuser since Spa. Have you notice of this on old diffuser?

Cocles

Kiril Varbanov wrote:You have a black belt? In Karate? Mercedes has got one on its tires - http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2013/09 ... zzato.html

I wonder if this was the radical heating solution they mentioned they were working on with an American company at the beginning of the season.

diego.liv
diego.liv

Cocles wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:You have a black belt? In Karate? Mercedes has got one on its tires - http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2013/09 ... zzato.html

I wonder if this was the radical heating solution they mentioned they were working on with an American company at the beginning of the season.

Nope, target to reduce radiator size by 30%

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 55931.html

"Möglicherweise werden die Seitenkästen später noch verkleinert. Mercedes arbeitet mit einer amerikanischen Firma zusammen, die ein völlig neues Kühlkonzept entwickelt hat. Im Moment besteht noch ein Risiko mit der Zuverlässigkeit. Sollte der Durchbruch erzielt werden, könnte man die Kühler bei gleicher Wärmeabgabe um 30 Prozent verkleinern"

diego.liv
diego.liv

Cocles wrote:

Nope, target to reduce radiator size by 30%

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 55931.html

"Möglicherweise werden die Seitenkästen später noch verkleinert. Mercedes arbeitet mit einer amerikanischen Firma zusammen, die ein völlig neues Kühlkonzept entwickelt hat. Im Moment besteht noch ein Risiko mit der Zuverlässigkeit. Sollte der Durchbruch erzielt werden, könnte man die Kühler bei gleicher Wärmeabgabe um 30 Prozent verkleinern"

diego.liv
diego.liv

Is it possible that they changed engine map-blowing philosophy to "adapt"/help Hamilton late-braking driving style?
There were various discussion on the blog about Merc's noise in downshifting, downshifting way, carrying more speed into the corner etc and then having sometimes problems with traction.

Ok they were good in slow corner (FRIC etc...) but think of this Suzuka-Hulkenberg-teamradio by Hamilton; i recall also Malaysian GP (even if you have to consider drying truck+wet-ish set-up maybe?+beginning of the year...Merc were fast mostly in sector2 but in the first half of both the back-to-back straights the RBs were flying away.

This brings back to the discussion 'carrying more speed into corners vs (mostly vettel's/rb's) giving the gas before'

SamH123
SamH123

Were people surprised that Mercedes were so mediocre in sector 1 in South Korea?

Hamilton was comfortably in the upper half of top speeds but the whole race weekend they were dropping 2tenths+ in sector 1 (Hamilton was 12th in s1 in quali)
Lotus were dropping time in s1 as well but that's expected because they were 6km/h+ down in top speed

Not sure if I've missed it but I don't think Mercedes have had poor acceleration away from slow corners all season? On my live timing app there seems to be another s1 speed trap quoted (I assume it's half way down the long straight) and Mercedes were very slow in it...

They're probably not got much chance of pole in Suzuka if they are going to be so slow away from the chicane

mkay
mkay

SamH123 wrote:Were people surprised that Mercedes were so mediocre in sector 1 in South Korea?

Hamilton was comfortably in the upper half of top speeds but the whole race weekend they were dropping 2tenths+ in sector 1 (Hamilton was 12th in s1 in quali)
Lotus were dropping time in s1 as well but that's expected because they were 6km/h+ down in top speed

Not sure if I've missed it but I don't think Mercedes have had poor acceleration away from slow corners all season? On my live timing app there seems to be another s1 speed trap quoted (I assume it's half way down the long straight) and Mercedes were very slow in it...

They're probably not got much chance of pole in Suzuka if they are going to be so slow away from the chicane
I think it's clear that Mercedes was pretty poor out of T1 (and that's for both drivers), compared to Sauber and RBR, but even compared to Ferrari.

Fortunately, aside from the Casio Triangle and the Hairpin, there isn't much to worry about for Mercedes. Pole will be hard but not out of reach. They did very well in S2 of Korea so would expect a good S1 / S2 from Mercedes, especially through the off-camber parts of the track.

They do need to fix the race pace, as they had no answer to Lotus.

EDIT: Also, choice of compound will help Mercedes (Medium, Hard); it's no secret that Mercedes has not been as successful on the supersoft.

emmepi27
emmepi27

Big difference here

dans79

any one know what updates are coming? I think I'll vomit if I have to hear the commentators go on & on about how great Vettel is for another race.
201 105 104 9 9 7

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

from AMuS

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2013 - Thursday (10.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diego.liv
diego.liv

Friday 11/10/2013

Hamilton with DRD

AMuS

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2013 - Friday (11.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Difference about inner surface of front rims between Monza and Suzuka