Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

adrianjordan wrote:I thought Brawn had confirmed he was continuing with Mercedes?

Any thoughts on other names that would be "headline grabbing"??

Brawn has suggested that he could be leaving in 6 months
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/07/r ... -handover/

Some people have mentioned Adrian Newey, though I highly doubt that.

Brawn has clout, who knows who he could bring with him.
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 05 Oct 2013, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

gary123

I think that Brawn could come to McLaren. He has been a Honda men, and maybe the Japanese want him.

astracrazy
astracrazy

gary123 wrote:I think that Brawn could come to McLaren. He has been a Honda men, and maybe the Japanese want him.
not next year, he has been working to get merc to the top and next year is where they expect the team to ripen. He will be there to see it first. maybe 2015 though (as the 'next' challenge in his career)

Huntresa
Huntresa

astracrazy wrote:
gary123 wrote:I think that Brawn could come to McLaren. He has been a Honda men, and maybe the Japanese want him.
not next year, he has been working to get merc to the top and next year is where they expect the team to ripen. He will be there to see it first. maybe 2015 though (as the 'next' challenge in his career)
Doesnt the Honda in the sentence mean 2015 ? :P

astracrazy
astracrazy

i was backing him up :roll:

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 00706.html

Apparently, Brawn gone by the end of the year, not denied by Mercedes, but not confirmed either.

Lauda seemingly wants him to stay (autosport article)

gary123

astracrazy wrote:
Brawn has already said that Lowe will take hes place after 6 months, so if Mercedes wins next year Lowe will take the credit not Brawn.
Still i dont think McLaren needs Brawn, they need qualified engineers. If some one at the Red Bull Racing is sick by working behind Newey,they should get it.

Kiril Varbanov

Pup
Pup

gary123 wrote:Still i dont think McLaren needs Brawn, they need qualified engineers.
I've argued, and still do, that McLaren's problem is just the opposite - bad management, not engineering. Their problems - engineering, strategy, reliability, trackside operations, employee retention, etc. - are too systemic to be anything but. Brawn would be a shot in the arm to the team in that respect, even if Martin's comments seem to be pointing the other direction. Though Brawn is probably best described as equal parts engineer and manager.

But who knows who might be tempted to the team. Martin is practically running around the paddock waving $100 bills. "Money!!! Have you heard?!? We've got Money!!!"

And so they have. Not only from Honda - let's not forget the mystery title sponsor, now rumored to be in the $150M/year range :shock: .

dren

Any idea who the title sponsor will be, and perhaps a tie-up with Honda?

Also, I agree about Mclaren's needs. They need a strong technical head leading them in the right direction.
Honda!

dren

JimClarkFan wrote:http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 00706.html

Apparently, Brawn gone by the end of the year, not denied by Mercedes, but not confirmed either.

Lauda seemingly wants him to stay (autosport article)
Funny how a few months ago everyone thought Lauda was trying to force Brawn out.
Honda!

Pierce89

Pup wrote:
gary123 wrote:Though Brawn is probably best described as equal parts engineer and manager.

Brawn is not really an engineer in the motorsports sense of the word. His only engineering training that I can find was as a "trainee" with the UK Atomic Energy Authority. He started in F1 as a machinist. I'd call Brawn more of a manager who also happens to have a good technical mind, but definitely better at management than any technical position. I don't think he'd actually be qualified to work as an actual engineer.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FoxHound

Pup wrote:But who knows who might be tempted to the team. Martin is practically running around the paddock waving $100 bills. "Money!!! Have you heard?!? We've got Money!!!"

And so they have. Not only from Honda - let's not forget the mystery title sponsor, now rumored to be in the $150M/year range :shock: .
150M a year?
I'm trying....but I cannot believe McLaren will get anywhere near that. Maybe half, if they're really lucky.
Vodafone alleged to have paid them 70million a year, and if they found bigger backers having gone backward since then, I would be mighty impressed.
But to more than double that figure? Nah
JET set

Pup
Pup

Admittedly, the only place I've seen that number is on TJ13. But he got it from somewhere and while no one knows if he's anybody, he does seem to have the inside line quite often. (And he really get's under Joe Saward's skin, which pleases me.) We'll see - one thing for certain, Martin is a good bit more upbeat these days than present performance should allow - quite a change from his defeated tone earlier in the season.

Perhaps he's only come to accept his doom.

gary123

http://www.blackbook.biz/teams/mclaren/
Here we can see how much money the sponsors pay to McLaren.At least only a few :)
here you can see the situation of every team. http://www.blackbook.biz/teams/