Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

I wonder if they're planning a deal where Honda has entire control of the livery. $150m in total wouldn't be too much of a stretch from where they are now. McLaren Earth Car anyone?

Anyone? :?

(As an aside to that link, I also think that McLaren Auto pays the team for use of the name.)

gary123

Pup wrote:I wonder if they're planning a deal where Honda has entire control of the livery. $150m in total wouldn't be too much of a stretch from where they are now. McLaren Earth Car anyone?

(As an aside to that link, I also think that McLaren Auto pays the team for use of the name.)
The Honda earth livery was awful. So i hope that a thing like that to not happen.
Regard the link, they put only the sponsors that they have official sources, about the amount of money.

astracrazy
astracrazy

dren wrote:
Funny how a few months ago everyone thought Lauda was trying to force Brawn out.
just shows no one knows what the f**k there on about sometimes
Pup wrote:I wonder if they're planning a deal where Honda has entire control of the livery. $150m in total wouldn't be too much of a stretch from where they are now. McLaren Earth Car anyone?

i can't see honda putting that much into f1 again soon (apart from the engines obviously).

CHT
CHT

gary123 wrote:http://www.blackbook.biz/teams/mclaren/
Here we can see how much money the sponsors pay to McLaren.At least only a few :)
here you can see the situation of every team. http://www.blackbook.biz/teams/
thanks.

Does it mean that Mclaren will be left with a $75m hole to fill when Vodafone quit their sponsorship after this season?

FoxHound

What on earth?!! :wink:

I don't see that green disaster returning anytime soon.
However, I do envisage a honda white car with mclaren l'orange.

And I swear, I've seen a McLaren-Honda like that before.
Maybe Phillip Morris will supply the 150 million as thanks for the homage?
JET set

Pup
Pup

Alas, two more years remain on their Ferrari contract. :cry:

ScottB
ScottB

FoxHound wrote:
Pup wrote:But who knows who might be tempted to the team. Martin is practically running around the paddock waving $100 bills. "Money!!! Have you heard?!? We've got Money!!!"

And so they have. Not only from Honda - let's not forget the mystery title sponsor, now rumored to be in the $150M/year range :shock: .
150M a year?
I'm trying....but I cannot believe McLaren will get anywhere near that. Maybe half, if they're really lucky.
Vodafone alleged to have paid them 70million a year, and if they found bigger backers having gone backward since then, I would be mighty impressed.
But to more than double that figure? Nah
If it's a sponsor that would also be involved in Mclaren Applied Technology projects, for example GSK, then the 150M could be a combined figure of sponsorship cash and project investment?

Can't think of any other way that such a high figure could be reached...

Pup
Pup

Ferrari's Marlboro sponsorship was said to be $100-$130m by F1racing. This - http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 66#p234566 - says it was much more at one point. No idea of the source of that. That was back before Santander and the removal of the bar code logo.

Pup
Pup

Coincidentally, this news from last week...
McLaren Racing, the Formula One division of the overall McLaren Group, has reported a loss of $5.03 million (U.S.) for the calendar year 2012.

Although F1 teams aren’t necessarily geared to show a profit, in 2011 the team had recorded a surplus of $36.19 million in 2011.

The team’s newly released annual accounts confirm that its costs increased and its turnover last year was down from $279.6 million to $268.9 million, which the team says is “wholly due to the changing business relationship with former shareholder Daimler.” In 2011 Daimler and associated companies put $61.6 million into the team, and in 2012, the figure was zero.

Meanwhile overall costs rose by $38.9 million, which it says is “mainly due to increased driver costs, racing at more events and the increased travel, as well as the associated costs of conducting wind tunnel testing away from the company’s headquarters.” Costs are listed at $200.2 million.

Regarding the loss of Vodafone at the end of this season, the team says “we are well into our search for a new title partner.” Tellingly it adds that “looking forward the Honda arrangement will transform our business model.”

The team employed 597 people in 2012, up by just one on the previous year.

With Daimler now gone, the shareholding is split between Bahrain’s Mumtalakat (50 percent), Ron Dennis (25 percent) and TAG Group (25 percent).
That from actual financial statements, rather than a Mr Sylt, so the numbers have a fighting chance of being real. I'd like to know where they made up (almost) the $62 million from Merc.

How does one go about getting access to these Companies House reports? - Nevermind, apparently one pays a dollar and downloads them.

FoxHound

Higher revenues from bernie perhaps?

The tell tale sign of that is the increase in costs which McLaren attributes to more race venues.
More races = more cash
I could be wrong.
JET set

wunderkind
wunderkind

Perhaps Honda is already providing financial support to the team.

astracrazy
astracrazy

or could Mclaren just of funded that themselves? the article says that its related to the racing division which is just part of the group. or could that not happen?

dren

A new business model...Kickstarter anyone? Ha!
Honda!

dren

Pierce89 wrote:
Pup wrote:
gary123 wrote:Though Brawn is probably best described as equal parts engineer and manager.

Brawn is not really an engineer in the motorsports sense of the word. His only engineering training that I can find was as a "trainee" with the UK Atomic Energy Authority. He started in F1 as a machinist. I'd call Brawn more of a manager who also happens to have a good technical mind, but definitely better at management than any technical position. I don't think he'd actually be qualified to work as an actual engineer.
He doesn't have an engineering degree, but he did R&D work and worked as an aerodynamicist for Williams. He was also a lead designer of a Jaguar that won the WSC (got that off of Wikipedia). He certainly has the experience, more so than most engineers I graduated with, including myself.
Honda!

Pup
Pup

dren wrote:A new business model...Kickstarter anyone? Ha!
That may be how Caterham is funded. McLaren's comment about the Honda deal "transforming" their business model is interesting though. They could in fact mean that in the literal sense.

It would be interesting to compare their budget to other teams for 2012. It was reported last year that RB's 2011 budget was approaching $300 million. If they hit that mark last year, then McLaren is still being outspent 3:2 - possibly more efficiently, too, since RB isn't paying Toyota for wind tunnel time. Certainly cause for a transformation.