Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

I don't see Honda injecting that much money into the team other than engines and some engineering for powertrain integration. Maybe some help on the gearbox side of things, too?
Honda!

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I think Mclaren need an Alonso or Brawn type in badly.

Someone else mentioned it, but I think the sorest thing Mclaren lack is vision and leadership.

I believe either Alonso or Brawn will provide focus.

Pup
Pup

I thought this was interesting, not because they're confirming Alonso for McLaren (those articles seem to be a dime a dozen in the Spanish press), but rather that they hint that the new sponsor will be paying his salary. Perhaps that's the business model transformation McLaren is talking about?

Google translation...
Has been told exclusively F1 day, the Spanish rider will return to McLaren in the 2015 season. Today, the agreement would be more than sealing between both parties, which would be a win for Martin Whitmarsh, Team Leader Woking, who this year had made it clear on several occasions that he would like to have the champion in its ranks . The identity of the partner Alonso remains a mystery, but it seems that could be Jenson Button , who said this year it would be a dream to follow in McLaren when Honda back in 2015.

But the interest of McLaren and, above all, Whitmarsh does not end there. Betting that the Spanish team will arrive in 2015, the head of the Woking not throw in the towel and will try to get the driver for next year. Such a situation is brought about by a sponsor who would be willing to prepay for the Spanish fichara for McLaren in 2014. And it is not the Banco Santander, as the Spanish company has signed a new three-year agreement with Ferrari. This move would put at risk the continuity of Button or Sergio Perez at McLaren. A is for the Mexican company Telmex, as has been about this web, has made clear its intention to continue investing Perez in 2014.

Morteza

Red Bull aero chief Peter Prodromou set to join McLaren
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110552
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

KingHamilton01

Morteza wrote:Red Bull aero chief Peter Prodromou set to join McLaren
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110552
This is a good start and undoutbly know's a lot of secret's about the redbull set-up. Obviously he will be tied into the development of the 2015 car where Honda come in, time to get excited about being a McLaren fan, now just to convince Alonso to re-join and be number 1 driver!
McLaren Mercedes

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Nice, that is a good signing, and apparently there is more to come. Good news and a draw surely for alonso

Pup
Pup

No doubt, that is a big play, perhaps mostly because of the possible IP he brings.

mikeerfol

Besides Morris and Prodromou, has McLaren signed anyone else this year?

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Big signing. I believe Prodromou was one of the guys that Newey hand picked for Red Bull. I wish he had gone to Ferrari.

Pup
Pup

mikeerfol wrote:Besides Morris and Prodromou, has McLaren signed anyone else this year?
Someone said they've added a lot to the lower ranks. Of course, they say there's more to come. Their twitter suggested that Fry was headed back to the team, at least that's how many interpreted it.

mikeerfol

Pup wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Besides Morris and Prodromou, has McLaren signed anyone else this year?
Someone said they've added a lot to the lower ranks. Of course, they say there's more to come. Their twitter suggested that Fry was headed back to the team, at least that's how many interpreted it.
Interesting..

CjC
CjC

Prodromou is a fantastic signing for McLaren for all the reasons we already know and have discussed, hopefully there will be more 'headline' signings to come, either in the form of a driver(s) or engineers/management.

Honda are making the difference to McLaren already, financially mainly. I heard through a source (my dad lol) that on the BBC's Japanese qualifying coverage, Martin Whitmarsh in the incredibly diplomatic way (as the all do) said that an agreement has been reached between McLaren and Honda that Honda would give McLaren the best V6 Honda engine it could and in return McLaren had to provide the strongest team line up (you would assume the drivers are part of that too) and that Honda have given McLaren the recourses to attract the calibre of personnel of a top team.

This leads us to on Fernando Alonso, signing an engineer like Prodromou will help to convince Alonso back to Woking but failing in the pursuit of Alonso, McLaren's attention will just turn to Vettels management team and ask if there is a possibility of luring him to McLaren and failing in Vettel they'll just turn to the next top line driver and so on......

Honda seem to have high expectations for the 2015 and are aiming to 'hit the ground running' - true, they are seeming spending the money to be at the front but I'm less convinced, surely there will be a bedding in period of technical restructuring and personnel reshuffling so I cant see McLaren winning a tile of any sort in the next 2 and a bit seasons and that's coming from a die hard McLaren fan.
Just a fan's point of view

Joie de vivre

vettel has a passion for ferrari and vice versa. if they don't get alonso, they can still go after lewis.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

CjC wrote:Prodromou is a fantastic signing for McLaren for all the reasons we already know and have discussed, hopefully there will be more 'headline' signings to come, either in the form of a driver(s) or engineers/management.

Honda are making the difference to McLaren already, financially mainly. I heard through a source (my dad lol) that on the BBC's Japanese qualifying coverage, Martin Whitmarsh in the incredibly diplomatic way (as the all do) said that an agreement has been reached between McLaren and Honda that Honda would give McLaren the best V6 Honda engine it could and in return McLaren had to provide the strongest team line up (you would assume the drivers are part of that too) and that Honda have given McLaren the recourses to attract the calibre of personnel of a top team.

This leads us to on Fernando Alonso, signing an engineer like Prodromou will help to convince Alonso back to Woking but failing in the pursuit of Alonso, McLaren's attention will just turn to Vettels management team and ask if there is a possibility of luring him to McLaren and failing in Vettel they'll just turn to the next top line driver and so on......

Honda seem to have high expectations for the 2015 and are aiming to 'hit the ground running' - true, they are seeming spending the money to be at the front but I'm less convinced, surely there will be a bedding in period of technical restructuring and personnel reshuffling so I cant see McLaren winning a tile of any sort in the next 2 and a bit seasons and that's coming from a die hard McLaren fan.
Regarding Alonso, it was plain to see in todays race, and last weeks for that matter, that team orders are no more. The reason for that could be two fold, either Ferrari are no longer willing to allow Alonso to overtake Massa in the absence of a realistic chance of winning the title, or there has been a major fall out behind the scenes such that Alonso isn't going to be gifted positions anymore.

Edit - seems there are team orders, but Massa has decided he is ignoring them
Joie de vivre wrote:vettel has a passion for ferrari and vice versa. if they don't get alonso, they can still go after lewis.
wrong thread

Edit 2

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... ne-2366272

Jenson only signed for one year. Mclaren are keeping their options open.

Neale says they are not in talks with Brawn

CjC
CjC

I'm not suprised that they aren't in talks with Brawn. Brawn wants 'top dog' status and he can't be that at mclaren whilst Whitmarsh is there, it'll be harsh on whitmash to fire him a few months before the new mclaren era kicks off. After all he's playing his part in these signings and after all he lured Honda back which has kicked off these chain of events. It dôes happen to football managers though.
Just a fan's point of view