Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

India 2013 - Thursday (24.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Mercedes's front wheel. Inner surface like Suzuka:

mikeerfol

SectorOne

#PirelliProblems
that tire looks like a warzone. Is that blistering? Looks like small nukes have went off on the tire.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

smlbstcbr
smlbstcbr

SectorOne wrote:#PirelliProblems
that tire looks like a warzone. Is that blistering? Looks like small nukes have went off on the tire.
Yes, that's definitely blistering. I fear the quality of next year's tyres will be the same and drivers will have to pit ten times for tyres.

Huntresa
Huntresa

smlbstcbr wrote:
Yes, that's definitely blistering. I fear the quality of next year's tyres will be the same and drivers will have to pit ten times for tyres.
Next year we will have hard tyres, so no.

heimana
heimana

mercedes tried two differents front wing friday?

Rybo

Huntresa wrote:
smlbstcbr wrote:
Next year we will have hard tyres, so no.
It was my understanding that Mercedes presented that their engines would make more torque and therefore stress the tires more, but were shot down in their petition to Pirelli to strengthen their tires.

Helios

Rybo wrote: It was my understanding that Mercedes presented that their engines would make more torque and therefore stress the tires more, but were shot down in their petition to Pirelli to strengthen their tires.
Afaik the compunds will definitely be harder from next year on. Mercedes were hoping for wider rear tyres and as soon as it was clear that this wouldn't happen they were keen to make sure that they could use different sets of tyres at the front and at the rear (softer tyres for the front, harder tyres for the rear). That was also turned down.

Bredd
Bredd

Helios wrote:
Rybo wrote: It was my understanding that Mercedes presented that their engines would make more torque and therefore stress the tires more, but were shot down in their petition to Pirelli to strengthen their tires.
Afaik the compunds will definitely be harder from next year on. Mercedes were hoping for wider rear tyres and as soon as it was clear that this wouldn't happen they were keen to make sure that they could use different sets of tyres at the front and at the rear (softer tyres for the front, harder tyres for the rear). That was also turned down.
I'm actually pretty sure although the wider tyre got turned down. The different compounds in the fronts and rears are allowed next year. Pirelli have also confirmed they would go conservative next year with tyre wear and deg.

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1308/pirell ... f1-tyre-si

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Saturday (26.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diego.liv
diego.liv

We heard/have been told about the more noise made by Mercedes downshifting, could this be something related to 2014 project? Braking will be more important next year, recharging ERS etc..Also, in the way you use the engine like a brake while downshifting (i miss the english technical term)

Huntresa
Huntresa

diego.liv wrote:We heard/have been told about the more noise made by Mercedes downshifting, could this be something related to 2014 project? Braking will be more important next year, recharging ERS etc..Also, in the way you use the engine like a brake while downshifting (i miss the english technical term)
But they will charge ERS from Turbo aswell so braking wont be that much more important next year.

Also its just called Engine Braking as far as i know.

SectorOne

Bredd wrote:
Helios wrote:
I'm actually pretty sure although the wider tyre got turned down. The different compounds in the fronts and rears are allowed next year. Pirelli have also confirmed they would go conservative next year with tyre wear and deg.

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1308/pirell ... f1-tyre-si
So have i understood this right, the teams themselves can choose to for example run soft fronts and hard rears?

Or is it Pirelli who are allowed to have different compound mixes that still are classified under the same category like Mediums.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

rssh

diego.liv wrote:We heard/have been told about the more noise made by Mercedes downshifting, could this be something related to 2014 project? Braking will be more important next year, recharging ERS etc..Also, in the way you use the engine like a brake while downshifting (i miss the english technical term)
Merc definitely makes the most noise (followed by RB and Marrusia) but as seen this year both the merc driver downshift very late and this may give them off-throttle blowing on the over-run (20% for Merc and 10% for others).