Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Bredd
Bredd

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1308/pirell ... f1-tyre-si[/quote]
So have i understood this right, the teams themselves can choose to for example run soft fronts and hard rears?

Or is it Pirelli who are allowed to have different compound mixes that still are classified under the same category like Mediums.[/quote]

I think it is very similar to today's tyre layout where Pirelli will choose 2 compounds. However you can mix and match those two compounds for eg. Hard and soft are provided by Pirelli. Red bull have gone for all softs. Merc have gone soft fronts and hard rears.

Helios

Bredd wrote:
I'm actually pretty sure although the wider tyre got turned down. The different compounds in the fronts and rears are allowed next year. Pirelli have also confirmed they would go conservative next year with tyre wear and deg.

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1308/pirell ... f1-tyre-si
This german article claims something different: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 01412.html
Die Herausforderung, die stärkere Motorenpower auf die Strecke zu bekommen, könne man definitiv lösen, ist man sich sicher. Doch daran würden sich wieder weitere Probleme anschließen, weswegen man der FIA kürzlich den Vorschlag unterbreitet hat, dass die Teams vorne und hinten unterschiedliche Mischungen einsetzen könnten - vorne eine weichere, hinten eine härtere. Bislang hat der Weltverband der Nachfrage nicht zugestimmt, und man darf nicht damit rechnen, dass dies noch passieren wird.

dren

Huntresa wrote:
diego.liv wrote:We heard/have been told about the more noise made by Mercedes downshifting, could this be something related to 2014 project? Braking will be more important next year, recharging ERS etc..Also, in the way you use the engine like a brake while downshifting (i miss the english technical term)
But they will charge ERS from Turbo aswell so braking wont be that much more important next year.

Also its just called Engine Braking as far as i know.
It will be more important next year. The regulations in 2014 allow for rear electronically controlled brake circuits.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

100 bhp yin yang moved to a better place :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

stefan_
stefan_

Abu Dhabi 2013 - Thursday (31.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dans79

Is it looks like they are playing with some aero concepts for next year. The engine cover looks new, and its round and about the right size for where the exhaust will exit next year.
201 105 104 9 9 7

stefan_
stefan_

They used it before if I remember well. That's to get some downforce onto the central part of the beam wing (like Red Bull).
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123
wesley123

It's for cooling, it doesn't give any aero advantage other than keeping the exits lower down smaller.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

diego.liv
diego.liv

Mmh, i agree with stefan
More volume-surface means more air attached-> more downforce, createf by the body of the car itself. In low drag tracks Merc brought a cleaner rear, a la Ferrari

heimana
heimana

diego.liv wrote:Mmh, i agree with stefan
More volume-surface means more air attached-> more downforce, createf by the body of the car itself. In low drag tracks Merc brought a cleaner rear, a la Ferrari
no it's just for cooling, if you looked at all the pictures of the season, mercedes used this engine cover only on GP with high heat (malaysia, bahrain, Hungary, Singapore, India)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Almost every team brings some sort of wider and bigger and more open engine cover to the warm races unless they have rly good cooling but its rare to not bring this.

wesley123
wesley123

That air that comes from the cooling hole is heated and went through a lot of packaging. The air is of lesser quality than normal air that flows around the car, it doesn't help downforce.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SectorOne

heimana wrote:
no it's just for cooling, if you looked at all the pictures of the season, mercedes used this engine cover only on GP with high heat (malaysia, bahrain, Hungary, Singapore, India)
They have one engine cover without nozzle, and two with a nozzle. (big and small)

Japan, no nozzle, Hungary big nozzle, India small nozzle.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

Abu Dhabi 2013 - Friday (01.11.2013)

DRD mounted.

atanatizante

Two questions:
1.Why they are setting up the car with shorter 7th and lack of top speed, at least for the last 3 races?
Tyre management is the answer? or they have just a limited (I don't remember how many: 5, 6?) race gears combination?
2.Why they have so fragile RW end-plates? They wobble a lot compared to other cars and ruin their back aero hence top speed, IMHO ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus