Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Anon123
Anon123

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

atanatizante wrote:Two questions:
1.Why they are setting up the car with shorter 7th and lack of top speed, at least for the last 3 races?
Tyre management is the answer? or they have just a limited (I don't remember how many: 5, 6?) race gears combination?
2.Why they have so fragile RW end-plates? They wobble a lot compared to other cars and ruin their back aero hence top speed, IMHO ...
They obviously feel the need to have such wobbly RW end-plates, who knows it might be to create dirty air for the following cars.

rssh

Anon123 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:Two questions:
1.Why they are setting up the car with shorter 7th and lack of top speed, at least for the last 3 races?
Tyre management is the answer? or they have just a limited (I don't remember how many: 5, 6?) race gears combination?
2.Why they have so fragile RW end-plates? They wobble a lot compared to other cars and ruin their back aero hence top speed, IMHO ...
They obviously feel the need to have such wobbly RW end-plates, who knows it might be to create dirty air for the following cars.
They are running more downforce than others (look at S3 times) and they don't want to be easy meat early in the race with heavy fuel load so that other DRS them easily, hence short ratio for better accleration.

About the wobbly rear wing I understand that Redbull were told (for RB2 or RB3 donno) to stiffen the rear wing for excessive wobbling which gives advantage (ala flexi front wings). Also I don't think a car can ever be engineered to create dirty air for a car behind w/o any gain in performance for itself.

Joie de vivre

how does DRD work and why are they only testing it and never run it in race? are they intend to use it in 2014?

Juzh

Joie de vivre wrote:how does DRD work and why are they only testing it and never run it in race? are they intend to use it in 2014?
It stalls rear wing which in turn produces less downforce than it usually would. Less DF --> more acceleration.

wesley123
wesley123

The point is less drag, not less downforce. And it is not for acceleration as those speeds are too low, it is just for a higher top speed.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

Essentially it's just another set-up option: the same downforce for less drag, or more downforce for the same drag, and everything inbetween.

Atleast that is the theory behind it. In reality both the placed pipes and the fact the additional drag, which will not be shedded until speed is above the passive activation point, from running a higher df rear wing will still be there.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Those are the described effects of it but none really explain how it works ;)
I´m not smart enough to tell you how it actually works other then a fluid switch channelling air differently over a certain speed but the reason they haven´t raced it is because it does not work as it should.

Frankly i´m at that point where i think it´s just wolf tickets.
Keep other teams think you are heavily developing something you pretty much know will never properly work.

The parts are already made, just do two laps in practice and get it off again.
Might make other teams spend some R&D on a dead end.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

theWPTformula

For those unsure about how DRD works, I did a post a while back (hence why there are few images/drawings) - http://thewptformula.wordpress.com/2013 ... on-device/

The Mercedes system is quite unique. They have a supporting strut just in front of the periscope that attempts to block oncoming airflow beneath the front wing disturbing the stalling flow coming from out of the periscope itself. They also don't appear to have a "bleed" system like Lotus has. These are the small holes at the base of the periscope that let some of air within the system bleed off at certain pressures, allowing the stalling effect to occur within a more accurate range of speeds.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Joie de vivre wrote:how does DRD work and why are they only testing it and never run it in race? are they intend to use it in 2014?
The 2014 dont allow anything attached or under the rear wing, no monkey seat so also no DRD if am correct. So i really don't know they are still pursuing it. But maybe they want use the mechanics to stall another part of the 2014 car. The rear wing is no option for 2014. Which area will be beneficial to stall for 2014?

Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Huntresa
Huntresa

kooleracer wrote:
The 2014 dont allow anything attached or under the rear wing, no monkey seat so also no DRD if am correct. So i really don't know they are still pursuing it. But maybe they want use the mechanics to stall another part of the 2014 car. The rear wing is no option for 2014. Which area will be beneficial to stall for 2014?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i7gC3y3hCgY/U ... 014RW2.jpg
You can still use the middle 15 cm like the pic shows, the green area.

theWPTformula

kooleracer wrote:

Monkey seats are still permitted and will probably be mounted to the top of the diffuser with the exhaust pipe exiting beneath. DRD is still an option for 2014 and hence the continuing testing during practice sessions.

Joie de vivre

it's interesting that only them and lotus are trying this system ... at least on track

kooleracer
kooleracer

Huntresa wrote:
kooleracer wrote:

You can still use the middle 15 cm like the pic shows, the green area.
Oke, so its still a relevant development. Hope to see them racing with it in 2014, because i think this R&D project is taking a lot of resources. Hope it will pay off next season.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Huntresa
Huntresa

Joie de vivre wrote:it's interesting that only them and lotus are trying this system ... at least on track
And Sauber.

ringo

What's up with the poor downforce efficiency?
It's seems the car can't have good downforce and a decent top speed.

Look on Webber's car in contrast. He can have a good combination of DF and tall 7th gear.
For Sure!!