Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Embedded picture here, looks pretty cool.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Huntresa
Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:Embedded picture here, looks pretty cool.

http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... flussi.jpg
What is cool about this old FW?

SectorOne

Huntresa wrote:What is cool about this old FW?
The flow-wiz not the actual front wing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

marcush.
marcush.

isit flow viz or some sort of pressure sensitive paint?
http://www.dlr.de/as/desktopdefault.asp ... ead-13334/

unfortunatelly these coatings have a response time of around .5s so your results are quite a bit filtered but precision of +/-1,5mbar (!) is not too shabby ....and it is REAL -so you can actually test the real thing on the (dark?)track and in the tunnel...it does rely on the presence of O² so maybe it would be a bit dodgy with coanda exhausts?

another intriguing technique:
http://www.dlr.de/as/desktopdefault.asp ... ead-13863/

you put a complex pattern on the measured surfaces and monitor the change of these patterns to correlate actual deformations of the surface .... if the car does not deform on track as it does in the tunnel you might get an answer why it does not perform as in the lab..

aleks_ader

THX Marcush for informaiton about PSP colour. Here english

If Mercedes really use it in fullscale test on track then I had 2 problems with that:

1 Firstly Is UV spectrum from daily light enough to "activate" or exited the special sensitive PSP layer?
2 Secondly how get imaging or collect data from it?

EDIT: Picture is just for illustration. I dont look for other possibilities for others PSP colours cuz i never work with it, so i may ask experts first.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Huntresa
Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:
Huntresa wrote:What is cool about this old FW?
The flow-wiz not the actual front wing.
Didnt see the paint... Thought it was a shadow.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Shrieker wrote:That somewhat explains why he was complaining "no grip" some time during the race. It was very Buttonesque and was disappointing to hear from Ham.
Hmmm, would it be preferable to see a driver drive 1 second off the pace and not complain?

Kiril Varbanov

Not a PSP - here's an old article I've done with some knowledgeable people - Pressure Sensitive Paint at F1 Framework.

To me, it looks like the flow-viz recipe that Lotus and Mclaren were using - mostly visible under ultraviolet light.

BTW, I've done flow-viz myself with diesel and/or paraffin, some Titanium dioxide powder, color of your choice and some acid (wetting agent) to supplement the flow.

theWPTformula

Tried getting hold of PSP for my physics coursework. Absolute nightmare and costs a fair bit...

This flo-viz was first adopted by Red Bull, I think, before McLaren used it at the YDT to analyse their exhaust/floor flow structures this year. Why use this paint? Secrecy? More accurate?

SectorOne

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Not a PSP - here's an old article I've done with some knowledgeable people - Pressure Sensitive Paint at F1 Framework.

To me, it looks like the flow-viz recipe that Lotus and Mclaren were using - mostly visible under ultraviolet light.

BTW, I've done flow-viz myself with diesel and/or paraffin, some Titanium dioxide powder, color of your choice and some acid (wetting agent) to supplement the flow.
How would you go about painting that on and get not only so uniform look but also so straight lines?

This is quite the difference from the above which to me looks like a either a film or actual paint.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

I think mclaren use special akebono brakes which only they get and no one else. Merc would surely switch to them already if they could.

Coefficient
Coefficient

SectorOne wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Not a PSP - here's an old article I've done with some knowledgeable people - Pressure Sensitive Paint at F1 Framework.

How would you go about painting that on and get not only so uniform look but also so straight lines?

This is quite the difference from the above which to me looks like a either a film or actual paint.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 853.36.jpg
I believe they mask off the area and use a diffused spray like a car sprayers air brush. The flow vis on the Mclaren is of a different sort and is applied to the car with something akin to a weed killer spray and is just squirted on quite liberally.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

SectorOne

Any examples you can show me?

stefan_
stefan_

Probably one of the last batches of tech pictures regarding the W04.

Brazil 2013 - Thursday (21.11.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985