Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

I'm going to miss this car. When pushed and developed, it beat the Red Bull. Hopefully it's a springboard to even greater cars.

diego.liv
diego.liv

stefan_ wrote:Probably one of the last batches of tech pictures regarding the W04.

Brazil 2013 - Thursday (21.11.2013)
Thank You stefan_
and probably one of the best we've had this season

elf341
elf341

Ferraripilot wrote:I'm going to miss this car. When pushed and developed, it beat the Red Bull. Hopefully it's a springboard to even greater cars.
Indeed. It was really nice to see Red Bull - the qualifying kings - get humbled in the early season qualifying battles.

aral
aral

Ferraripilot wrote:I'm going to miss this car. When pushed and developed, it beat the Red Bull. Hopefully it's a springboard to even greater cars.
Unfortunately that is not what the results show! Which car won the last 7 races? Which car won the wcc?

SectorOne

gilgen wrote:
Unfortunately that is not what the results show! Which car won the last 7 races? Which car won the wcc?
Read it again.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Philledan
Philledan

gilgen wrote:
read again buddy....btw, its 8 races in a row

astracrazy
astracrazy

this car was by far the quickest car at one point in the season getting 8/9 poles . Unfortunately it just wasn't the best race car

turbof1

The car was astonishing around Hungary, beating the red bull. Unfortunaly the time that mercedes stopped developing the car was the same time red bull made a big development push. The W04 probably had some potentional unused.

Red Bull ultimately is the best this year, but not as black and white as gilgen make it look like. And red bull might regret doing that late development work next year.

I think it also deserves attention that mercedes almost completely got on top of its tyre issues. They had a big disadvantage to get rid of, a disadvantage haunting them since silverstone 2009.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy
astracrazy

i think it was a good decision to drop development when they did. I think they knew the tyre changes was going to aid red bull so it was a lost cause.

still no matter what, a fantastic season for the team. hopefully they continue on the up - i'm expecting big things next year

mrluke
mrluke

Agreed.

They would have been hard pushed to win the WCC and it would have compromised next year where Mercedes are tipped to do well.

As it is they should still manage to secure 2nd in the WCC but have started developing next years car much earlier so win win really.

aral
aral

SectorOne wrote:
Unfortunately that is not what the results show! Which car won the last 8 races? Which car won the wcc?
Read it again.[/quote]

My English is obviously different to yours! I have re read, and you clearly claim that when pushed and developed, it did beat the red bull. and as I said, no it didn't! might have got a few poles on one lap pace, but it was developed and did not beat the bulls.

sorry for my slip on race numbers, they come so fast that I overlooked one!

Ferraripilot

At the peak of its development, W04 was faster than RB9. Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, qualifying, it was faster. Qualifying is the ultimate indicator of outright speed, and W04 was indeed faster, it just had some tire growing pains which were thankfully fixed in a rather genius manner. RB9 was the overall better racing car, but when MB kept the car in development, it was indeed faster.

Joie de vivre

Ferraripilot wrote:At the peak of its development, W04 was faster than RB9. Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, qualifying, it was faster. Qualifying is the ultimate indicator of outright speed, and W04 was indeed faster, it just had some tire growing pains which were thankfully fixed in a rather genius manner. RB9 was the overall better racing car, but when MB kept the car in development, it was indeed faster.
After Hungary tires were changed ... then others fell behind rbr

SectorOne

Ferraripilot wrote:At the peak of its development, W04 was faster than RB9. Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, qualifying, it was faster. Qualifying is the ultimate indicator of outright speed, and W04 was indeed faster, it just had some tire growing pains which were thankfully fixed in a rather genius manner. RB9 was the overall better racing car, but when MB kept the car in development, it was indeed faster.
And then when taking into account last year and from there to the point where they are now, the step they took is insane.
To finish second this year (hopefully) is an incredible achievement.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

I think we're going too far if we say the W04 was faster than the RB9. In qualifying yes, they took some poles from RB, but they were falling back like rocks in the race and the fact that they were the quickest in qualifying didn't mean much and I think RB weren't really worried by that.
The W04 was a big step from what happened in the last years, it was something they had an enourmous amount to learn from and if they take it to the next level in 2014 that'd be great.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985