Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zack!
zack!

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

"LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**"

Did the 2013 "Company Name" Enstone already contain the menteon of "Renault" ? Or is it a clue that Renault is taking a new role in Enstone (no just engine supplier) ?

the EDGE
the EDGE

zack! wrote:"LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**"

Did the 2013 "Company Name" Enstone already contain the menteon of "Renault" ? Or is it a clue that Renault is taking a new role in Enstone (no just engine supplier) ?

The inclusion of Renault has nothing to do with the team name, they are merely mentioned as the rules require both the team name and the engine supplier to be listed on the entry form, obviously GBR refers to the location of where the team is based

FrukostScones

the EDGE wrote:
zack! wrote:"LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**"

The inclusion of Renault has nothing to do with the team name, they are merely mentioned as the rules require both the team name and the engine supplier to be listed on the entry form, obviously GBR refers to the location of where the team is based

at least check with your own eyes what you are talking about

@zack! last year it said:
Lotus F1 Team Limited (GBR)
but all this should actually be in the team thread
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zack!
zack!

@FrukostScones : thank you. And you're right, we should put this in team thread...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

OmniCorse reports Lotus failed FIA has rejected Lotus nose due to tech regs

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33752/ ... della-e-22

@frukos that's what I meant to say. Apologies
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 12 Jan 2014, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.

FrukostScones

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:OmniCorse reports Lotus failed FIA crash tests in their 2014 nose.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33752/ ... della-e-22
sounds more like the nose failed to meet the tech. regulations
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wesley123
wesley123

Fits in rather well with them missing the first winter test. Could be that they anticipated this possibility and/or were having more problems with the nose cone.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ecapox

Big talk about the new lotus from that Omnisport article. Interesting.
Omnisport wrote: LA FIA BOCCIA LA PUNTA DEL MUSO? Lo stesso direttore tecnico nel comunicato emesso il 6 gennaio scorso ha ammesso che la E22 dovrà ancora essere sottoposta al crash-test anteriore. Come mai? Si dice che il “naso” studiato dagli aerodinamici di Enstone sarebbe stato bocciato dalla FIA nell'interpretazione di legalità del muso in fase di omologazione. Se la scocca 2014 nella parte anteriore deve avere un’altezza di 525 mm (contro i 625 mm del 2013), la punta del muso deve spiovere a 185 mm. I creativi della Lotus si sono inventati una sorta di naso alto con un manico di scopa sulla punta e piloni destinati a reggere l’ala anteriore molto spessi. Il “punteruolo” sarebbe stato molto più piccolo di quello finora mostrato nelle animazioni che prefigurano le vetture 2014 e sarebbe stato considerato pericoloso da Jo Bauer e colleghi in caso di urto. Gli ingegneri, quindi, avrebbero dovuto ridisegnare il muso per superare il test frontale. Si capisce, quindi, perché ci sia un ritardo…
Translation of bolded part:
If the front of the crash structure must be 525mm high (compared to 625mm on 2013) the point of the nose must fall to 185mm. The creative minds at lotus invented a type of tall nose with a "broom handle" on the tip with very thick pylons designed to hold the front wing. The "point" (punteruolo) is said to be a lot smaller than those that we have seen in animations of 2014 cars and was deemed to be dangerous by Jo Bauer and his colleagues in urge event of a crash.

So I'm thinking the nose looks like a sideways Y with the bottom piece being very very thin with really thick pylons connecting to the wing. Just an extreme version of what we have already seen or possibly something different?

It was also said in the article that lotus has gotten back to the same levels of downforce of 2013 with the 2014 car.

Neno
Neno

Lotus again will be damaged by FIA, two years ago was because of innovated ride-height system now this sh?t. ... And i wouldnt complain if Red Bull didnt have similar system with their ride-height tea tray this year. It's seems rules are not same for everyone. :|

I think it's quiet clear FIA that dosen't want another Brawn GP with new regulations. :wink:

Juzh

ecapox wrote: It was also said in the article that lotus has gotten back to the same levels of downforce of 2013 with the 2014 car.
I find this extremely hard to believe. And how could anyone outside lotus possibly know something like that?

lio007

ecapox wrote: It was also said in the article that lotus has gotten back to the same levels of downforce of 2013 with the 2014 car.
I wonder how they can achieve the same level of downforce as in 2013

the article also claims
net of the effect of the lack of the exhaust blowers
This means, "overall" or "rear" E21 downforce minus downforce created by the exhaust blown diffusor equals E22 downforce?

lio007

Dominic Haines / Mechanical Design Engineer is involved in a "Active ride height system for straight line testing" (source: LinkedIn)

Is this "FRIC"? (but AFAIK this system has to be passive)

Tim.Wright

Sounds like an active vertical actuator system which allows a quick change in ride height for the purposes of straight line aerodynamic testing. It would allow you to run many different ride height combinations to build up a lift and drag matrix without having to return the car to the box each time for a mechanical change.

So its only used in testing not racing. Nothing to do with FRIC either.
Not the engineer at Force India

ecapox

I would also highly disagree that they are already at 2013 downforce levels. Not only that, but how the heck would anyone other than inside lotus people know this?

Well the good thing is that this will be easy to see on track once they get the car up and running. You can't easily hide 10+ points of downforce more than everyone else. (I'm guessing 10+ point of df...no sources)

Anon123
Anon123

ecapox wrote:Big talk about the new lotus from that Omnisport article. Interesting.
Omnisport wrote: LA FIA BOCCIA LA PUNTA DEL MUSO? Lo stesso direttore tecnico nel comunicato emesso il 6 gennaio scorso ha ammesso che la E22 dovrà ancora essere sottoposta al crash-test anteriore. Come mai? Si dice che il “naso” studiato dagli aerodinamici di Enstone sarebbe stato bocciato dalla FIA nell'interpretazione di legalità del muso in fase di omologazione. Se la scocca 2014 nella parte anteriore deve avere un’altezza di 525 mm (contro i 625 mm del 2013), la punta del muso deve spiovere a 185 mm. I creativi della Lotus si sono inventati una sorta di naso alto con un manico di scopa sulla punta e piloni destinati a reggere l’ala anteriore molto spessi. Il “punteruolo” sarebbe stato molto più piccolo di quello finora mostrato nelle animazioni che prefigurano le vetture 2014 e sarebbe stato considerato pericoloso da Jo Bauer e colleghi in caso di urto. Gli ingegneri, quindi, avrebbero dovuto ridisegnare il muso per superare il test frontale. Si capisce, quindi, perché ci sia un ritardo…
Translation of bolded part:
If the front of the crash structure must be 525mm high (compared to 625mm on 2013) the point of the nose must fall to 185mm. The creative minds at lotus invented a type of tall nose with a "broom handle" on the tip with very thick pylons designed to hold the front wing. The "point" (punteruolo) is said to be a lot smaller than those that we have seen in animations of 2014 cars and was deemed to be dangerous by Jo Bauer and his colleagues in urge event of a crash.

So I'm thinking the nose looks like a sideways Y with the bottom piece being very very thin with really thick pylons connecting to the wing. Just an extreme version of what we have already seen or possibly something different?

It was also said in the article that lotus has gotten back to the same levels of downforce of 2013 with the 2014 car.
So they've lost the blown diffuser which is worth a huge amount of time, they are struggling for money, Allison is gone, they've had to backtrack on a front wing design but they have the same level of downforce. It will be interesting to see how they do in next month's tests.