Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

n smikle wrote:...for sure.
sorry, but with that pic nothing is for sure. If it was, the sidepod would have a bayonet.

Joie de vivre

the only thing sure about this picture is the car will most likely have tires ... and maybe a front wing

just effin wait for official photos and stop analyzing it

gary123

NathanOlder

Anyone signed up to Mercedes BBM page? As they have just revealed a new photo on there
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Undead_Mud

Pic from Mercedes BBM:

kostenlos bilder hochladen

Black in the livery looks good! Apart from that, it doesn't give away very much. The thin black vertical extensions to the wing mirrors were there before, right? What are those?

SectorOne

This livery is gonna look good i think. And properly black this time and not just a spraycan black on the headrest.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

LightningLewis
LightningLewis

It looks like the green Pretronas is more blue now?

diego1960

And the teal looks slightly different in the pic above, more towards light blue than the one they had last year on the sidepods. Let's hope it looks better, problem is though that these colors simply do not match.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Seems odd to me how all these teams are adding black to their liveries. Was cool for the first couple, but now... I hope the whole grid isn't speckled in black.

Frafer
Frafer

acosmichippo wrote:Seems odd to me how all these teams are adding black to their liveries. Was cool for the first couple, but now... I hope the whole grid isn't speckled in black.
Black is cool for two reasons:
1: small weight saving (for instance ferrari's back seems to be unpainted, pure carbon fiber only polished and enameled, this save a little because indeed paint weights)
2:less problem in managing heat burns around exhausts and thermal units.

So yes i expect a lot of black cars this year
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

I dunno, I'd think if it really made that much of a difference, they'd have been using black (or bare/clear coated carbon) much more historically. Plus McLaren, Force India, and apparently Merc are not doing unpainted carbon, but actual black paint. And mclaren's black is on the wings, nowhere near any heat.

diego.liv
diego.liv

Would it be of any purpose to mount an oblique sidepod opening? In the last pic, the sidepod mouth doesn't seem straight as usual, like the lower part is backward to the rear of the car

Frafer
Frafer

acosmichippo wrote:I dunno, I'd think if it really made that much of a difference, they'd have been using black (or bare/clear coated carbon) much more historically. Plus McLaren, Force India, and apparently Merc are not doing unpainted carbon, but actual black paint. And mclaren's black is on the wings, nowhere near any heat.
It's not that much of a difference, but it's a difference. For historic part, do you know why mercedes are called silver arrows? :wink: And in the 70s, 80s, 90s the blanket was definitely less narrow than nowadays..
Force india we dunno, it's a rendering, and mclaren is black in the wings because lack of main sponsor and indeed there is some weight saving (let's say 200 grams more in the ballast?)
Last edited by Frafer on 26 Jan 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

gridwalker
gridwalker

It was Mercedes who were historically called Silver Arrows; McLaren didn't even exist back in that era ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

daveyrace
daveyrace

diego.liv wrote:Would it be of any purpose to mount an oblique sidepod opening? In the last pic, the sidepod mouth doesn't seem straight as usual, like the lower part is backward to the rear of the car
I think that they have been not just blurring sections of the pictures but also skewing and swirling them before hand so nothing is as it seems.