Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Frafer wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:I dunno, I'd think if it really made that much of a difference, they'd have been using black (or bare/clear coated carbon) much more historically. Plus McLaren, Force India, and apparently Merc are not doing unpainted carbon, but actual black paint. And mclaren's black is on the wings, nowhere near any heat.
It's not that much of a difference, but it's a difference. For historic part, do you know why mercedes are called silver arrows? :wink: And in the 70s, 80s, 90s the blanket was definitely less narrow than nowadays..
Force india we dunno, it's a rendering, and mclaren is black in the wings because lack of main sponsor and indeed there is some weight saving (let's say 200 grams more in the ballast?)
yes, I realize why Merc was called silver arrows, which is why I said "much more historically". If that's the only example of a paintless car in 60+ years, it's an exception rather than a rule.

And why would there be weight savings on a wing painted black as opposed to any other color? That just doesn't make sense.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Hmmmm ... the origin of the name "silver arrows" is dubious at best. Unfortunately, many motor racing historians now believe the paint-scraping story to be a myth, as the race where the livery first appeared was actually a Formula Libre event with no weight limit!

http://www.motorsportmusings.co.uk/2010 ... rows-myth/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows#Story
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Frafer
Frafer

acosmichippo wrote: And why would there be weight savings on a wing painted black as opposed to any other color? That just doesn't make sense.
To me there is no paint in the wings of mclaren, only the sticking in RW. Just like suspensions arms, floor, brakes cooling devices..
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

Helios

Undead_Mud wrote:Pic from Mercedes BBM:

http://postimage.org/
kostenlos bilder hochladen

Black in the livery looks good! Apart from that, it doesn't give away very much. The thin black vertical extensions to the wing mirrors were there before, right? What are those?
I see they went for the Lewis Hamilton-mirrors again, which is pretty cool to see. =D>

Morteza

Mercedes F1 on their Facebook page says that if the teaser they posted today gets 20,000 likes, they will post another one. Until now in 5 hours the picture has got more than 12,000 likes.
Last edited by Morteza on 26 Jan 2014, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

theformula

Helios wrote:

Black in the livery looks good! Apart from that, it doesn't give away very much. The thin black vertical extensions to the wing mirrors were there before, right? What are those?
I see they went for the Lewis Hamilton-mirrors again, which is pretty cool to see. =D>
How do you mean the "Lewis Hamilton-mirrors"?
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Helios

theformula wrote:
Helios wrote:

How do you mean the "Lewis Hamilton-mirrors"?
The mirrors used on the McLaren MP4-27 and last years Mercedes. I remember that during the launch of the MP4-27 Hamilton mentioned that he had been very keen on the design and placement of the mirrors being the way it was back in 2012. In his opinion it was much easier to use them this way.

Multi21

Hello I've been following threads on this site for a couple of years now but finally got around to make an account. I'm not going to have as much mechanical knowledge as most here but I'm passionate about f1, ever since I accidentally switched on to the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix. Regarding the W05,where it's mentioned that teams have to select their ratios for the year, does that mean the cars will have the same gearing for Monaco as for monza(I.e all season long) for example or does it mean the chosen ratios for all tracks have to be announced before the season starts?

RicerDude

Multi21 wrote:Hello I've been following threads on this site for a couple of years now but finally got around to make an account. I'm not going to have as much mechanical knowledge as most here but I'm passionate about f1, ever since I accidentally switched on to the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix. Regarding the W05,where it's mentioned that teams have to select their ratios for the year, does that mean the cars will have the same gearing for Monaco as for monza(I.e all season long) for example or does it mean the chosen ratios for all tracks have to be announced before the season starts?
You choose your ratios at the beginning of the year and you cannot change them until the beginning of next year so yes you will have the same ratios in Monaco as you would at Monza.

Mr.G

actually you are permitted to have one change during the season...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Multi21

Does that mean then that the lower gears will be meant for acceleration with 7th and 8th perhaps rarely being used around a street circuit like Monaco or Singapore?

Mr.G

Means exactly that. The last two gears wont be used on some tracks... BTW I think RBR will be the first team who will use the permission to change the gears.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Multi21

Mr.G wrote:Means exactly that. The last two gears wont be used on some tracks... BTW I think RBR will be the first team who will use the permission to change the gears.
I'm guessing right after spa and monza?

mikeerfol

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though #-o ) that in most tracks the cars will use 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear. 8th will be used in Spa and Monza. 1st, 2nd, 3rd for start/pitstops only.

Multi21

mikeerfol wrote:I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though #-o ) that in most tracks the cars will use 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear. 8th will be used in Spa and Monza. 1st, 2nd, 3rd for start/pitstops only.
I could definetly see the lower gears being used somewhere like in canada with the two hairpins