Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

mikeerfol wrote:I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though #-o ) that in most tracks the cars will use 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear. 8th will be used in Spa and Monza. 1st, 2nd, 3rd for start/pitstops only.
That's from Andy Green, it is in the thread for the Force India car, and was provisional and only for some tracks.
And we are waaay off topic here.
Rivals, not enemies.

AMG.Tzan

so more black for the new mercedes
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

PlatinumZealot

Yeah the engines are more low end torque which also spread very flat across a wide rpm range so in theory you don't need as many gear ratios.... Hence one gearbox with eight gears is more than adequate for all the tracks unless a team really gets it wrong.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Holm86

hollus wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though #-o ) that in most tracks the cars will use 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear. 8th will be used in Spa and Monza. 1st, 2nd, 3rd for start/pitstops only.
That's from Andy Green, it is in the thread for the Force India car, and was provisional and only for some tracks.
And we are waaay off topic here.
And I said it half a year ago ;-)

Faustino
Faustino

The revealed photos are quite misleading, fully designed that way. Very clever marketing though, Merc have been the kings of building hype over a reveal for the last 3 years now. Yes there will definitely be more black in the livery but nothing to make it look radically different from last year i'm guessing.

I'm also expecting a conservative nose, somewhere between the Sauber and Lotus solution?

Multi21

I was hoping for more of a f14t style conventionalish nose, but definetly not the full e22 twin sausage. In any case I hope the rule makers come to their senses soon and stop ruining the looks of those cars.

thomin

Faustino wrote: I'm also expecting a conservative nose, somewhere between the Sauber and Lotus solution?
I don't think it gets much more different than Sauber (anteater) and Lotus (tusks) in terms of nose design. Actually, something in-between would probably the Ferrari...dunno if that's conservative...

thomin

Multi21 wrote:I was hoping for more of a f14t style conventionalish nose, but definetly not the full e22 twin sausage. In any case I hope the rule makers come to their senses soon and stop ruining the looks of those cars.

When I heard for the first time that the noses had to be lower in 2014, I thought it was a great decision in terms of making the cars better looking...turns out I was wrong. The problem is that once a better solution was found (in this case high noses), engineers will always try to salvage as much of the benefits as possible and work around the legal requirements.

FW17

Looks like the car does not have the regular airbox from the roll hoop, instead a thin shark fin to comply with (some dumb) regulation

Or

The the airbox is really wide

slimfitcasual

WilliamsF1 wrote:Looks like the car does not have the regular airbox from the roll hoop, instead a thin shark fin to comply with (some dumb) regulation

Or

The the airbox is really wide
Not any different from 2013...

Per ardua ad astra

BorisTheBlade

Yes but it looks little as if they also had the twin channels Ferrari has.

Multi21

Are the Ers systems going to be specific to each constructors or will there be costumer cars buying say the merc ERS?

Marc.W

Multi21 wrote:Are the Ers systems going to be specific to each constructors or will there be costumer cars buying say the merc ERS?
From what I understand they will engine specific, I.e Mercedes ERS on Mercedes engine and same for the rest, most likely to do with now using heat from the turbo to harvest energy too, though I could be wrong!

Bredd
Bredd

Phil

I am really getting hyped and nervous. I so want this to look good. [-o<
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter