Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Engine cover fin like Ferrari and Williams ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

turbof1

That's quite a big fin, meaning they must have a very very tight packaging at the back.
#AeroFrodo

AMG.Tzan

I think this is the 2013 car with 2014 nose, rear wing and livery!! Sidepods,air conditioners,engine cover and chassis height all look the same as on the 2013 w04! Let's wait and see tomorrow!! :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

atanatizante

Gearbox air intake or just a shadow? ...
Jesus

daveyrace
daveyrace

Only the end of the nose will be narrow, the main body will probably just slope off like the mclaren and ferrari.

This is a very rough thought on how it goes, camera winglets in green.

atanatizante

AMG.Tzan wrote:I think this is the 2013 car with 2014 nose, rear wing and livery!! Sidepods,air conditioners,engine cover and chassis height all look the same as on the 2013 w04! Let's wait and see tomorrow!! :wink:

Yeah, from this angle it`s looking the same ...
Maybe last year they sacrificed everything and went to a mule car to be better prepared for 2014?
Jesus

beelsebob
beelsebob

daveyrace wrote:Only the end of the nose will be narrow, the main body will probably just slope off like the mclaren and ferrari.

http://i.imgur.com/FS6EoP9.jpg
I'm almost 100% confident that this outline is wrong. Those camera pods would be illegal.

I am slightly less confident (but still pretty confident) that we're looking at a Ferrari style vacuum cleaner nose, but with a narrower tip.

daveyrace
daveyrace

beelsebob wrote:
daveyrace wrote:Only the end of the nose will be narrow, the main body will probably just slope off like the mclaren and ferrari.

http://i.imgur.com/FS6EoP9.jpg
I'm almost 100% confident that this outline is wrong. Those camera pods would be illegal.

I am slightly less confident (but still pretty confident) that we're looking at a Ferrari style vacuum cleaner nose, but with a narrower tip.

These are clearly camera winglets, what else could they be? Unless they have been put on for their filming run at Silverstone?
As for the outline, it is purely a guess, I am 100% certain I did it, quite a bit less certain it is even remotely accurate, but thought it might get some other ideas going.
Yes a ferrari style vacuum on the end would fit, I just followed the dark section in the photo.
Last edited by daveyrace on 27 Jan 2014, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

heimana
heimana

AMG.Tzan wrote:I think this is the 2013 car with 2014 nose, rear wing and livery!! Sidepods,air conditioners,engine cover and chassis height all look the same as on the 2013 w04! Let's wait and see tomorrow!! :wink:
I exactly think the same thing!! sidepods are the same, they did not change.

theformula

One thing I can't understand is why they would go with a Ferrari style nose instead of say a McLaren style nose? Surely the ferrari style nose would not maximise the airflow to the underside of the car, whereas the McLaren one is likely to get more airflow underneath? I'm no aerodynamicist, but seeing as technical experts keep banging on about how important it is to maximise the airflow in that area, why would a team go with a ferrari style solution?

Having said that, i don't know what each individual team are trying to achieve and what the numbers in the windtunnel say.
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Faustino
Faustino

Adjusting the colour/contrast levels in Photoshop doesn't reveal too much unfortunately. Here's best i could do though.

Predator

The fly-by looks like a McLaren nose:

simple
simple

i don t think that these were camerawinglets, relating to that pic that must be the suspension.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3529_n.jpg
Last edited by simple on 27 Jan 2014, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Faustino
Faustino

The rule changes will definitely reign in some of the advantage Red Bull had in terms of exhaust blowing, they still have a huge advantage over all the other teams in their work on the floor of the car though, it can't just have been a lucky break when the tires were changed?!

From the scant details on the W05 so far, it appears they have a nice tight package at the rear. The front is what they seem to be trying to disguise the most so perhaps they have something special there?

geraldix
geraldix

The shitty bulge is only featured in one side of the car, so it's surely a sensor, right?