2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tim|away
tim|away

Re: Thoughts so far and some reflections.

@Vettel Maggot
It is all relative to what you have grown accustomed to. Someone a bit older than you could argue that your 80s and 90s cars had nothing on the sound of a BRM H16 and that you'd never experience the joy they had from F1.

I won't get into which engine sounds better, as this is all very subjective. I have a pretty open mind about 2014 and I'll tell you what I am looking forward to:
  1. Hissing sounds from the turbine spinning up and the whole power unit sounding different to what one might expect. The rather sophisticated energy recovery systems would kick in at times when one wouldn't usually anticipate it, especialy when compared to a traditional turbo-charged engine.
  2. More failures as a result of new technology. Even if someone is in the lead with 20 more laps to go, there is a good chance something can still go wrong.
  3. Different looks of that cars. Love them or hate them, their noses in particular look different and I think it's great that we see different solutions that are even visible for the casual watcher.
  4. Tactical Energy management and smart driving. The deployment of the stored energy as well as fuel management will make 2014 an extremely tactical year. I do hope that we and the commentators will get all the information to follow what is going on in detail with the engine settings.
  5. Reshuffling of the grid. With all this new technology (and the current crisis at Renault), it is completely unknown who will come out on top.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

I'm not too sure many would have complained about the noise coming from a V10 or V12? In comparison these new V6T sound muted but still racy in some way I guess.

I do agree about reliability, I am looking forward to the uncertain. And yes the BRM was a monster!

Kiril Varbanov

Honestly, I don't think we need to have a separeate thread for that, we've already been discussing the engine noise in the respective thread - http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 50#p480850

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Ok sorry I will keep quiet then

matt21

Lycoming wrote:Hell yea the 80's were awesome, but it's not the 80s anymore,
Just compare it with music. We all still listen to the songs from our youth and think that the radio nowadays is playing only rubbish.
If I´m just thinking about the discussions, if the Metallica albums from the 90´s and beyond are good or not.

The years as teenager are shaping you for your life. You do so much things for the first time, e.g. watching F1. Maybe this is the reason why so many people want the old cars back.

As this is "F1technical" we should be happy, that so much new technology is arriving in F1.

turbof1

Vettel Maggot wrote:Ok sorry I will keep quiet then
No don't stay quiet - just post in the correct topic. You obviously made quite an effort in that post and I do find it interesting.
#AeroFrodo

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

My mistake I didn't realize there was another topic I don't venture in that area normally!

Kiril Varbanov

Vettel Maggot wrote:My mistake I didn't realize there was another topic I don't venture in that area normally!
That's OK, you are new to the forum, obviously, that's why I merely expressed an opinion. As soon as mods spot the topic, they will either merge it or leave it like that.

radosav
radosav

Re: 2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

Actually new engines sound very bad! Sound of turbine is as loud as engine itself, and i don't know which sound is worse. Here is comparison of V8 and V6 engines (last half of video), you can hear that V6 is quieter than V8. I didn't like live sound of V8 engines cause of all of throttle blowing and engine maps, but V6 has same farting sound and sounds like old Lancia without exhaust.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2 ... detailpage[/youtube]

The_Mauler
The_Mauler

The new ruleset for 2014 with less aerodynamic efficiency, how will this affect disturbed air?
I assume with less aerodynamic efficiency there will be less disturbed air behind the car, which in best case scenario lead to easier overtaking? Or is it to little difference to make any obvious change in that perspective?

the EDGE
the EDGE

I know its a bit early to say this, but what a relief it is to hear every one talking about cars and engines as opposed to tyres

I hope Renault manage to sort out their issues, even as a McLaren fan I do not want to see other teams fail for reasons beyond their own control, we have had enough drama in F1 recently and it is a controversy we could do without

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

radosav wrote:Actually new engines sound very bad! Sound of turbine is as loud as engine itself, and i don't know which sound is worse. Here is comparison of V8 and V6 engines (last half of video), you can hear that V6 is quieter than V8. I didn't like live sound of V8 engines cause of all of throttle blowing and engine maps, but V6 has same farting sound and sounds like old Lancia without exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2 ... detailpage
thanks for the vid, it actually sounds very awesome. =D> 8)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

radosav
radosav

Manoah2u wrote:
radosav wrote:Actually new engines sound very bad! Sound of turbine is as loud as engine itself, and i don't know which sound is worse. Here is comparison of V8 and V6 engines (last half of video), you can hear that V6 is quieter than V8. I didn't like live sound of V8 engines cause of all of throttle blowing and engine maps, but V6 has same farting sound and sounds like old Lancia without exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2 ... detailpage
thanks for the vid, it actually sounds very awesome. =D> 8)
Ive been last time at Hungary GP this summer and that farting sound was awful !Mostly by renault engines! But on you tube videos it sounds ok! So i am afraid that V6 live will sound very bad!

lebesset
lebesset

I keep hearing about batteries and overheating ; having been convinced that the teams had shot themselves in the foot again by not accepting the tyres pirelli thought would be best for the job i expected the subject would be tyres again ...perhaps that is still to come ..the teams , of course , are NEVER at fault
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Paulington
Paulington

Re: Sound of the 2014 engines

In my opinion the new engines sound fantastic, even though they aren't at full chat yet. They are different, but that definitely does not mean bad.

I think once they are at full revs they will sound great and, personally, I like that you don't need to wear ear defenders when listening to them, it ruins it in my opinion so, I'm all for these new engines. :).