2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Holm86

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Töm87 wrote:Guys there's really one thing i don't undrstand. All the time Red Bull (Marko) are complaining about their lack of 50-80 Hp to Mercedes.
Yet, if this was true how come Torro Rosso can match the Mercedes top speeds and is constantly some 15km/h faster on top speeds than Red Bull.
So is the Renault engine really that inferior?
Have you heard of aerodynamics??

Töm87
Töm87

Holm86 wrote:
Töm87 wrote:Guys there's really one thing i don't undrstand. All the time Red Bull (Marko) are complaining about their lack of 50-80 Hp to Mercedes.
Yet, if this was true how come Torro Rosso can match the Mercedes top speeds and is constantly some 15km/h faster on top speeds than Red Bull.

Sure but i have a very hard time believing that Torro Rosso has a chasis that is able to balance a 50-80Hp disadvantage to Mercedes.

Holm86

Töm87 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

Sure but i have a very hard time believing that Torro Rosso has a chasis that is able to balance a 50-80Hp disadvantage to Mercedes.
If they had then they would be just as fast as Mercedes. They are not! They run lower downforce which makes them able to have higher topspeeds but they're just not fast enough in the corners. Looking at topspeed isolated does not tell how much HP the engines are making.

Töm87
Töm87

Of course, but why would Torro Rosso run such a low downforce setup if it hurts them that much in the corners.
Especially on a track like Barcelona? Doesn't seem to make much sense in my opinion.

SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

Töm87 wrote:Of course, but why would Torro Rosso run such a low downforce setup if it hurts them that much in the corners.
Especially on a track like Barcelona? Doesn't seem to make much sense in my opinion.
Maybe because their car balance is better that way due to the nature of the car? Maybe because going for a high downforce setup would hurt them even MORE in top speed, where it would not be possible to make it up in the corners?

Set-up is about compromise.

OO7
OO7

Töm87 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

Hi Töm
I think its a case of Toro Rosso having a lower drag car due to them simply not being able to create enough downforce efficiently, as well as Red Bull setting up their cars with more downforce as they have traditionally done.

Töm87
Töm87

Ohhh boy the new exhaust makes the engine sound like gang of 15 years old his coming up the road with their 50cc^3 motorcycles :wtf: :wtf:

ringo

I don't think you can conclude they have take off 80HP worth of drag. We don't know if there is a deficit or not.
In some ways the top speed is indicative of the engine's power. It's more difficult to think that Torro Rosso has that much less than the Mercedes powerwise, yet it was competing well with the other Mercedes powered teams.
For Sure!!

Blackout

RBR top-speed has increased in Spain compared to the best, it seems. AMuS says the new total fuel/oil brought 12hp. The Renault PU was 40hp behind the Merc in China according to AMuS.

rjsa
rjsa

So the lab rats are making a difference...

alemos24
alemos24

With power units software updates do you think that we will see higher RPM ?
Last sunday from Mercedes Onboard I saw that they reached 13,4 k RPM .
While during the Australian Grand Prix ,mercedes reached only 11,5/12 k RPM

mrluke
mrluke

alemos24 wrote:With power units software updates do you think that we will see higher RPM ?
I dont think it will be much of an upgrade if it doesnt improve something ;)

Edax
Edax

Töm87 wrote:Of course, but why would Torro Rosso run such a low downforce setup if it hurts them that much in the corners.
It may not only be the setup, but also the car construction. I think Force India is pretty clear in that. They make a car that is tailored for a few tracks only.

I think that is a decision you have to make as a team when you don't have unlimited resources. Do you want to be average everywhere or do you want to have a shot at a good position at certain tracks only.

And then it is easier (cheaper) to choose the less technical high speed tracks than a track as Barcelona. That also might be the case for Toro Rosso.

Besides I always find top speed comparison a bit dodgy. It says nothing about acceleration or average speed on the straight.

Juzh

alemos24 wrote:With power units software updates do you think that we will see higher RPM ?
Just a spike. They usually revved to 12.5k in spain.

Kiril Varbanov

Renault don't think that Mercedes' split turbo concept is a game changer - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114013