2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Would like to see the flow limit dropped but the 100kg total limit maintained.

Will add to the show allowing drivers / teams to turn their engine up for a short burst of power and for more exciting qualifying laps.

PlatinumZealot

I like the Honda proposal. More aligned with efficiency since more energy is to be had from the front brakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wuzak
wuzak

mrluke wrote:Would like to see the flow limit dropped but the 100kg total limit maintained.

Will add to the show allowing drivers / teams to turn their engine up for a short burst of power and for more exciting qualifying laps.
I prefer the opposite.

Cap the power with the fuel flow limit and let them run full power the whole race (but they'll probably underfuel anyway).

Keeping the max fuel will mean more fuel saving - which fans whinged about last year, even though not much was actuallu going on (well, no more than 2013).

gruntguru
gruntguru

mrluke wrote:Would like to see the flow limit dropped but the 100kg total limit maintained.

Dropping the flow limit would allow too much power (and fuel usage). They could use the entire 100kg in 1/2 the race!

F-one economy run.
je suis charlie

dero
dero

PlatinumZealot wrote: [...] more energy is to be had from the front brakes.
Available energy is not the problem with its recovery.
It is the short time in wich you would have to store it that makes things difficult.

cheers

Juzh

gruntguru wrote:

Dropping the flow limit would allow too much power (and fuel usage). They could use the entire 100kg in 1/2 the race!

F-one economy run.
That's why you lift both. problem solved.

wuzak
wuzak

Juzh wrote:
gruntguru wrote:

F-one economy run.
That's why you lift both. problem solved.
Hmmm....They will be slightly more powerful than the 1000hp they are asking for....

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

& the increased output - although making the racing of greater interest..
..may well cruel carefully figured/predicated TBO longevity outcomes.. Oh dear, it really IS an economy run..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Nickel
Nickel

I'd also prefer fuel flow limit removed, 100kg total retained. They'd probably use the whole 100kg instead of 90-95kg, and it would be used only strategically in the race. Same as I wish the drs functionned. A fixed number of uses or duration of use for the gp, to be allocated as the driver best see's fit. In this case the fixed duration would be their ability or theoretical ability to run flat out within total fuel. Probably no more than a lap or two total, or 8-10 passing attempts?

mclaren111

And remember to Increase Sound !!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vital in F1 - IMHO :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1000bhp + engines must sound loud & powerful :D :D :D :D

Vary
Vary

wuzak wrote:

I prefer the opposite.

Cap the power with the fuel flow limit and let them run full power the whole race (but they'll probably underfuel anyway).

Keeping the max fuel will mean more fuel saving - which fans whinged about last year, even though not much was actuallu going on (well, no more than 2013).
This wouldn't do any difference sito this year... Fuel flow is what is limiting power, and also in mano races in 2014 they didin't used all the 100 kg allowed

Fuel flow limit has to be dropped, but probably we need a boost pressure limit

wuzak
wuzak

Vary wrote:
wuzak wrote:

I prefer the opposite.

This wouldn't do any difference sito this year... Fuel flow is what is limiting power, and also in mano races in 2014 they didin't used all the 100 kg allowed

A boost limit (in concert with a rpm limit) achieves the same thing as the fuel flow limit - a cap (though not a hard one) on power.

Before these rules came in the teams would typically run less fuel than was required to run the race at full potential speed., even there was no limit.

This is probably still the case, but I guess they are using less fuel than allowed to make sure they don't get disqualified.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

The finite fuel flow - perhaps - is seen as an efficiency/performance limit/incentive - that is easier to regulate?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Vary
Vary

wuzak wrote:
Vary wrote:
wuzak wrote:
I prefer the opposite.

A boost limit (in concert with a rpm limit) achieves the same thing as the fuel flow limit - a cap (though not a hard one) on power.

Before these rules came in the teams would typically run less fuel than was required to run the race at full potential speed., even there was no limit.

This is probably still the case, but I guess they are using less fuel than allowed to make sure they don't get disqualified.

I express my self badly (excuse me, was very early in the mornig :) ) : i meant that if the FIA drops the fuel flow limit and wants to limit power, then has to set a max boost

wuzak
wuzak

Vary wrote:I express my self badly (excuse me, was very early in the mornig :) ) : i meant that if the FIA drops the fuel flow limit and wants to limit power, then has to set a max boost
I understood you.

But tell me why a boost limit is better than a fuel flow limit?

One limits the air flow, whilst the other limits fuel flow. Two ways to skin a cat.