2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
langwadt
langwadt

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Nickel wrote:
langwadt wrote:
if you mandated that they start with more than they need they would just run extremely rich for the first few laps to burn
off the excess weight
Right. Or some variation of that.
langwadt wrote: Just like when they had to start the race with the same amount of they fuel put in before in qualifying

You lost me. In the format where quali was done with fuel for the first stint, I remember a lot of drivers trying to stretch the first stint. Not always, sometimes it played out the opposite, but I wouldn't say they over-fuelled for quali just to burn it off as excess running ritch at the start.

they were running laps just to dump fuel in quali so they could start with more fuel for the first stint

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

langwadt wrote:
Nickel wrote:
langwadt wrote:
if you mandated that they start with more than they need they would just run extremely rich for the first few laps to burn
off the excess weight
Right. Or some variation of that.
langwadt wrote: Just like when they had to start the race with the same amount of they fuel put in before in qualifying

You lost me. In the format where quali was done with fuel for the first stint, I remember a lot of drivers trying to stretch the first stint. Not always, sometimes it played out the opposite, but I wouldn't say they over-fuelled for quali just to burn it off as excess running ritch at the start.

they were running laps just to dump fuel in quali so they could start with more fuel for the first stint
The 'fuel burning phase' if I remember rightly. Ah, for the good old days of F1 when not a lot happened an awful lot of the time.

ringo

Why the arguement?
The 2015 spec engine will look almost like the 2014 engine. The general dimensions is probably not changed, and the mounting points are standardized by the regulations, so i'm not sure what's the big fuss about 2014 chassis and what not.

In fact a 2014 chassis built for a renault engine can take a mercedes engine. The most you would need to change is the sidepod and other clipped on body panels, no big deal.
For Sure!!

Moose
Moose

ringo wrote:Why the arguement?
The 2015 spec engine will look almost like the 2014 engine. The general dimensions is probably not changed, and the mounting points are standardized by the regulations, so i'm not sure what's the big fuss about 2014 chassis and what not.

In fact a 2014 chassis built for a renault engine can take a mercedes engine. The most you would need to change is the sidepod and other clipped on body panels, no big deal.
"almost identical" can have big impacts for packaging. Move the occasional attachment point for cooling lines, increase the cooling requirements 10% of a certain part, cause another part to move because you made the engine block slightly larger. Any one of these on its own (and more so all these subtle changes that will add up over time) will completely change how you have to go about packaging the car, and result in you not being able to put a 2015 engine in a 2014 chassis.

wuzak
wuzak

Moose wrote:
ringo wrote:Why the arguement?

"almost identical" can have big impacts for packaging. Move the occasional attachment point for cooling lines, increase the cooling requirements 10% of a certain part, cause another part to move because you made the engine block slightly larger. Any one of these on its own (and more so all these subtle changes that will add up over time) will completely change how you have to go about packaging the car, and result in you not being able to put a 2015 engine in a 2014 chassis.
What about the different requirements for inlet air between the 2014 Renault and the 2015 Mercedes? Surely that would be a significant change.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Just found this on the SF15T thread, seems to support my idea of the turbo layout based on analysis that I have done, that the MGUH is at the front and not in the middle of the turbo.

Compared to my model:

"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

What imaginary miniature size is that?

a 160 hp mgu with a length of 2 inches?

Facts Only
Facts Only

WilliamsF1 wrote:What imaginary miniature size is that?

If you had read the original post its just a rough model to demonstrate layout. Why are you so abrasive and critical? its unnecessary and unhelpful.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

Facts Only wrote:

If you had read the original post its just a rough model to demonstrate layout. Why are you so abrasive and critical? its unnecessary and unhelpful.
Your Model pretty much illustrates what is present at Ferrari

The engine is about 400 mm in length, the inter cooler in about 300 mm in length without the connector piece. You have the intake come in to the front of the turbo, just saying what is left is quiet insufficient for a MGU (which will also require its own water jacket)

GoranF1
GoranF1

Renault V6 Turbo 2015 Power Unit

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

lio007

So really any obvious changes on the external parts. The PU looks very similar to 2014.

matt21

For me it looks like it IS the 2014 engine

gandharva

There are no official pics of the 2015 power unit! Those pics are from Energy F1 2014.

http://www.renaultsportf1.com/The-new-power-units.html

Blackout

lio007 wrote:

So really any obvious changes on the external parts. The PU looks very similar to 2014.
It IS the 2014 'showengine'*
Which is not the real engine; the 2014 'showengine' ICE is very close, if not identical to the real 2014 ICE, but the turbo, it's airbox, the exhausts and the oil tank (a V8 oil tank) are mock-ups or old protoytpes, not race specs.

Facts Only
Facts Only

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:

Your Model pretty much illustrates what is present at Ferrari

The engine is about 400 mm in length, the inter cooler in about 300 mm in length without the connector piece. You have the intake come in to the front of the turbo, just saying what is left is quiet insufficient for a MGU (which will also require its own water jacket)

Firstly the MGU-H is not necessarily 160bhp, that's the max output of the MGU-K. We believe Ferrari are lacking in MGU-H recovery anyway so likely it will be much smaller than the MGUK

Secondly it wont necessarily have a water jacket, I know for a fact that 'in stator' water tubes are now being used in F1 so an outer water jacket is not needed and even if it was they add very little to the diameter.

Thirdly just throwing some guestimated numbers into a post and saying that there is no space from an MGU-H isn't information, its just random speculation. Do you have any pictures/drawings/photos or first hand experience to back this up?