Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph
zeph

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Excellently detailed article by Mark Hughes about the MP29's design choices and why they didn't work:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/le ... r-mclaren/

charlex

We have to wait the new pu updates (next test? I dont think so) cuz im pretty sure that it's too premature to say anything about this pakage

windwaves
windwaves

I disagree.

We can certainly say the package is a disaster, I think that is pretty clear.

We all understand on the other hand that hopefully the embarassing showing is not likely representative of the potential of the car.

But starting this badly is scarey my friends.

Andres125sx

When a car is 6 seconds slower than one of his competitors (McLaren compared to Ferrari) you can certainly say the british team was on a completely different program, never tried to do a fast lap, and probably his PU was running on a map with no ERS at all, or very limited

Or you really think McLaren is 6 seconds slower than Ferrari?

Heck, you just need to hear Honda engine to realice they´re far from a race configuration

Xero

Disaster in what way exactly? Feedback from the drivers has been generally positive, on a car which was running 50% power (as reported by the BBC) on a development engine. They completed all of their planned programmes, bar a couple of small aero tests. Hardly a disaster! I'd call it acceptable under the circumstances.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Xero wrote:Disaster in what way exactly? Feedback from the drivers has been generally positive, on a car which was running 50% power (as reported by the BBC) on a development engine. They completed all of their planned programmes, bar a couple of small aero tests. Hardly a disaster! I'd call it acceptable under the circumstances.
its not a complete disaster yet but they have no clue if their pu is reliable.. they have no clue what parts will fail under load... i can go on about what else they have no clue about since they havent ran their pu at anything close to a competitive pace.... they have about a month to get it all right....i highly doubt they will be competitive

mrluke
mrluke

If they had done 300 laps most people would be saying that was a really great achievement and definitely a successful test. Ergo only achieving 30 laps is not making the most of a limited testing opportunity.

Richard
Richard

Seriously have some people forgotten that Mclaren have done more laps in this test than Red Bull last year? They were the only team to win races other than Merc last year. Oh, and at least Mclaren aren't hacking holes in their chassis

So once again, Honda are testing a brand new PU, it is pointless to compare them to the established teams. If you must do comparison then look back at the 2014 testing.

Also Honda are new to F1, that's a very steep learning curve in itself. When an established team and PU supplier with 4 consecutive championships struggles with the new formula, what would you expect of a team who barely know each other?

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:
Xero wrote:Disaster in what way exactly? Feedback from the drivers has been generally positive, on a car which was running 50% power (as reported by the BBC) on a development engine. They completed all of their planned programmes, bar a couple of small aero tests. Hardly a disaster! I'd call it acceptable under the circumstances.
its not a complete disaster yet but they have no clue if their pu is reliable.. they have no clue what parts will fail under load... i can go on about what else they have no clue about since they havent ran their pu at anything close to a competitive pace.... they have about a month to get it all right....i highly doubt they will be competitive
But they are going to try 3 different engines and two complete test are left. Enough time to check reliabilty and performance. Plus no one expects to see Mclaren fighting for the victory in Melbourne. His performance will increase more than in the other teams, due to the greater room for improvement.

Avocado
Avocado

windwaves wrote:I disagree.

Ahahahaha! :lol:

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Vasconia wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
But they are going to try 3 different engines and two complete test are left. Enough time to check reliabilty and performance. Plus no one expects to see Mclaren fighting for the victory in Melbourne. His performance will increase more than in the other teams, due to the greater room for improvement.
I'm sure they'll have a better time in the following tests. What some people fail to notice that this is the first time McLaren and Honda have worked together outside the usual restrictions and with a car specifically designed for the power unit. They've got a long hard struggle ahead of them, but I don't think the first test was too much of a disaster. We'll only know how successful the tests have been once the cars hit Q1 down under and if they finish the race.
The race specification power unit is 2-3 steps ahead of what they've used so far if you believe Ron Dennis.

windwaves
windwaves

Avocado wrote:

yes, I am sure Alonso is ahahahahah'ing as well.

Avocado
Avocado

windwaves wrote:
Avocado wrote:

Absolutely. He knows he made the right decision.

MOWOG

Most experienced observers know that the pre-season is of absolutely no use in predicting in season performance. At this stage, lap times mean nothing and any conclusions drawn from them are equally useless.

When you think back to the myriad issues that beset the new engines last year at this time, particularly Renault, the Honda PU is actually AHEAD of the curve! :twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

windwaves wrote:
Avocado wrote:

if he'd read your reply, yes indeed, he'd be hahahaha-ing with tears of laughter.

There have been infinite explenations as to why you see things going as they go during testing, for clear, logical and normal reasons. There actually is enough evidence to support Mclaren-Honda to be in a far better position than previously expected. Again, you only have to go back one year and compare. the Honda powerplant actually is in a better position than the Mercedes powerplant was last year at the very first test - apart from performance levels that is, because there simply is no base for comparison there untill the Melbourne Q3.

So yeah, go ahead, give more reason to get laughed upon even more.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"