Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Holm86

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Thunders wrote:This was posted over at Autosport.

Apparently this Photo was shot in Tokyo:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9Zqtf9CIAABtEa.jpg

Not much so far except there should be an F1 Car underneath that blanket. ^^
And no reason to hide the MP4-30, unless it looks different from the one at the test.
My guess is new sponsor, and/or new livery.

Richard
Richard

Phil wrote:Too bad they are not racing against other teams with no previous experience, like all of them did last year. They are the only ones, so any comparison to how teams faired last year is IMO rather irrelevant. They've had a year to watch how others faired and to a degree learn from mistakes, show up prepared and ready, so by all means, they are supposed to do better and the expectations are higher and rightly so.
To be honest it's all swings and roundabouts.

Yes they have the advantage of observing how other teams faired last year, but observing is no substitute for actually doing.

Also this is a brand new partnership with a PU supplier who is new to modern F1. So Mclaren-Honda have to develop a working relationship from scratch. No matter what people know in theory, design & production co-ordination is always easier with people who have worked together before. Never underestimate that. For example the Abu Dhabi problems about the ECU-PU interface would be less likely (I imagine) in an established partnership because those interfaces would have developed over previous years.

IMHO, Mclaren Honda are within the bounds of reasonable exception considering how established teams struggled with the technology last year. It could have been a lot worse (ie RB last year) but could have been better (ie Merc last year).

The real test is whether they can rapidly develop a strong working relationship forged on the track. They'll only start to close the gap to the other teams once they're battle hardened.

mikeerfol

Slightly off-topic but hopefully it's going to be an announcement about Sony as a sponsor so we can get the MP4/4 on GT6 :P

Andres125sx

I bet for a new sponsor/livery

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

probably will announce just how stupid the negativity and haters are with their unfounded and biased claims.

in reality, could indeed be a livery reveal. hope so! it would be odd to still cover up that car after having been seen in the fullest at the tests.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Morteza

Let us all keep our expectations as low as possible. That way it will be a pleasant surprise if they announce a new livery :wink: I'm excited too, but I have to control these @%#%@$ emotions of mine :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

adrianjordan

I hope it's a title sponsor, whether that includes a new livery or not....if only to fill that space on the sidepod!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE
the EDGE

Good spot... There's a Honda/McLaren press conference... 5am tomorrow morning GMT (2pm JST)

it can be watched live here http://m.ustream.tv/channel/honda-news-channel-e (by those who can't sleep)

Macklaren
Macklaren

Surprised that there has been no mention of tomorrow's event in the media or even Mclaren 's own twitter feed... And we all know how promotional their social media team is. Makes me wonder if this is just some press call for local Japanese media.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Macklaren wrote:Surprised that there has been no mention of tomorrow's event in the media or even Mclaren 's own twitter feed... And we all know how promotional their social media team is. Makes me wonder if this is just some press call for local Japanese media.
Yer, I think your spot-on there

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

https://twitter.com/McLaren_Soul/status ... 2989652992 :P :P :P :P

omgomgomgomg the yellow helmet @ Mclaren!!! :P :P :P

and yes i know it's GT department
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Macklaren
Macklaren

Not making this the livery thread... But that would be the perfect color scheme for car and team gear...Including Gillette as main sponsor!

Redragon

alonso is on tokyo too

Holm86

Macklaren wrote:Surprised that there has been no mention of tomorrow's event in the media or even Mclaren 's own twitter feed... And we all know how promotional their social media team is. Makes me wonder if this is just some press call for local Japanese media.
Can't remember where. But I saw some F1 journo who mentioned that McLaren would have a press conference after the MP4-30 reveal. Where a new livery and sponsor would be reveled. I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
Found something here:
Autosprint, the respected Italian publication, predicted that McLaren is keeping something up its sleeve.

The report said McLaren is likely to do a "double media launch", starting with the public reveal of the MP4-30 on Thursday "with an anonymous livery".

The second launch, Autosprint speculated, could be to unveil the actual race livery of the 2015 car, following reports McLaren is dropping its familiar silver look at Honda's behest.

Spain's Marca said it has learned that the Jerez test livery will be all black, although Alonso himself 'tweeted' a photo on Monday of two historical McLarens in the British team's iconic orange.
Source

They were not correct about the all Black livery, but the current livery surely is anonymous, and they predicted a second press conference even before the launch of the MP4-30. So perhaps there's something to it??

zeph
zeph

the EDGE wrote:

Good spot... There's a Honda/McLaren press conference... 5am tomorrow morning GMT (2pm JST)

it can be watched live here http://m.ustream.tv/channel/honda-news-channel-e (by those who can't sleep)

Just watched it, don't bother, total schnooze. Nothing of substance, let alone anything new. Just an opportunity for the Japanese press to see the car, drivers and Ron Dennis up close.