Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Also is K mag the simulation driver? I mean in a way, the chap that's plodding around in the simulator the most is technically the person that's developing the car's balance, if anything.
Saishū kōnā

trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:So Peter Prodromou didn't leave RB until March or April last year, and he wasn't able to alert Honda that this was a problem even though "other manufacturers faced the same problem last year"?
PP is an aerodynamicist. He wouldn't have had anything to do with things like MGU seals.
I have no reason to bash PP, but to believe that he didn't know anything about a major flaw in the PU you would have to believe that it didn't come up in any meetings he was in, no emails, no coffee pot chatter? I am just surprised that it is being said that this was a known problem last year for multiple teams and yet Honda didn't get a handle on it? PP probably isn't even the only engineer poached from other teams by McHonda. I guess it makes me wonder about the validity of reports that this was a problem for multiple teams last year.
Yea I'm sure it probably did come up in meetings that a common problem last year may have been seals of various types. The problem was that it is impossible for McLaren-Honda to know how well their seals worked until testing actually started. It isn't like you can just go and say other teams had seal problems so make ours work. Not that simple. Facts only can you maybe shed some light on this?

crbassassin

Seems like Honda is not up to the job in providing the power unit.

trinidefender
trinidefender

crbassassin wrote:Seems like Honda is not up to the job in providing the power unit.
Judging by what?

outer_bongolia

trinidefender wrote:Yea I'm sure it probably did come up in meetings that a common problem last year may have been seals of various types. The problem was that it is impossible for McLaren-Honda to know how well their seals worked until testing actually started. It isn't like you can just go and say other teams had seal problems so make ours work. Not that simple.
Could you explain whether your "it is impossible" comment is based on anything?

Dyno tests could have shown some signals, even though they cannot not simulate all of the stresses that the car is exposed to during a normal run.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

crbassassin wrote:Seems like Honda is not up to the job in providing the power unit.
I, and likely many others, will agree with you that the Honda PU is behind schedule but it's far from a failure. 2015 was always going to be a right off for the WCC.

What they, in my opinion, need to focus on is by the end of the season, they MUST be on the same area of the development curve as Ferrari and Renault. It's only 2 cars running the PU so they are always going to be behind on mileage and distance. McLaren Honda just can't afford to start the 2016 season on the back foot again.

With Bernie on his quest for "1000 hp" cars for ~2017 Honda will need the best/earliest start once the regulations are hammered down and Honda can't be spending part of the 2016 season trying to catch the other engine manufacturers when they have already switched all development to the less fuel restricted engine.

However; Honda haven't failed anyone.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Totally unfounded and not useful to the thread. One quick look at the McLaren rear bodywork tells you quite something about what Honda can provide. Stunning packaging when you consider it doesn't self ignite at the end of every lap. Fixing the odd seal and reliability problem is exactly what testing is all about at this stage. Sure, it could have been better but please look objectively at the facts before posting such tosh. :wink:

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

ParkerArt wrote:
crbassassin wrote:
With Bernie on his quest for "1000 hp" cars for ~2017 Honda will need the best/earliest start once the regulations are hammered down and Honda can't be spending part of the 2016 season trying to catch the other engine manufacturers when they have already switched all development to the less fuel restricted engine.
Funnily enough, I believe Honda are at a slight advantage here because they have had a small window to provide for this in their design as words have been bounding about for quite a while now ref more powerful engines/more fuel. Anyone else thinking this?

GoranF1
GoranF1

I have a question that is only partly car related;will Alonso be allowed to set his gear ratios in AUS free practices since he can?t do it in the last test?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Rumours this morning that Alonso will sit out Melbourne, with his manager Abad unable to rule it out.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Things going from bad to worse now...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

adrianjordan

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Things going from bad to worse now...
Not really. McLaren were never expecting to win in Aus, a podium would seem very unlikely, so why risk Alonso's health by rushing his recovery.

Does anyone know if FA has had concussions in the past? I assume he probably got one in Brazil 2003, but any other times?

The reason I ask is that it can take longer to recover if you get repeated concussions even if they're years apart.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thunder

Any informations about that?

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mikeerfol

Check the testing thread ;)

Thunder

Oh thanks, didn't see that.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum