2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

WilliamsF1 wrote:An interesting article on turbine design

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1401,d.c2E

IHI has also designed the most efficient compressor (claimed by them) for a chiller (a 2 stage design) for Daikin. The COP figures are amazing for an aircooled machine.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 1401,d.c2E

atanatizante

In this AMuS article : https://translate.google.ro/translate?s ... edit-text= , they said Merc PU could deploy full electric power "consistently" even for the race ...
Now besides the fact that English isn`t my first language could I understand that 2015 Merc PU has the "ability" to deploy 160HP throughout the entire race?
Hence, let`s say, for a 90 sec lap now they have 160HP for 33 sec. coming from MGU-K and remaining 57 sec. the also have 160HP coming out from MGU-K via MGU-H? (so MGU-H power equals MGU-K power?)
OR IN OTHER WAY OF SPEAKING, NOW THEY HAVE MAX. ELECTRIC POWER (AKA160HP) FOR THE ENTIRE LAP?
Is this possible? Or I`m not updated with the news? :)
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

FW17

atanatizante wrote:In this AMuS article : https://translate.google.ro/translate?s ... edit-text= , they said Merc PU could deploy full electric power "consistently" even for the race ...
Now besides the fact that English isn`t my first language could I understand that 2015 Merc PU has the "ability" to deploy 160HP throughout the entire race?
Hence, let`s say, for a 90 sec lap now they have 160HP for 33 sec. coming from MGU-K and remaining 57 sec. the also have 160HP coming out from MGU-K via MGU-H? (so MGU-H power equals MGU-K power?)
OR IN OTHER WAY OF SPEAKING, NOW THEY HAVE MAX. ELECTRIC POWER (AKA160HP) FOR THE ENTIRE LAP?

I think it is better to conclude that Merc harvests 12 MJ of energy a lap; 2 MJ coming from the brakes and the remaining 10 MJ from the turbocharger

atanatizante

WilliamsF1 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:In this AMuS article : https://translate.google.ro/translate?s ... edit-text= , they said Merc PU could deploy full electric power "consistently" even for the race ...

I think it is better to conclude that Merc harvests 12 MJ of energy a lap; 2 MJ coming from the brakes and the remaining 10 MJ from the turbocharger
Good joke dude! Could you send me a link (or something) in order to prove that?
Aaaah ... If a do the math it`s only necesary to harvest 6,9 MJ for the remaining 57 sec., is it? :wink:
Jesus

ian_s

on a 90 second lap the cars aren't at full throttle the whole time, so its even less than that

FW17

atanatizante wrote: Good joke dude! Could you send me a link (or something) in order to prove that?
Aaaah ... If a do the math it`s only necesary to harvest 6,9 MJ for the remaining 57 sec., is it? :wink:

Your words not mine

99 seconds @ 120 KW = 3.29 KWh

3.29 x 3.6 = 12 MJ

FIA allows only 2 MJ to be harvested from the brakes so the remaining 10 is to come from the TC

Beemer_Me_Up
Beemer_Me_Up

WilliamsF1 wrote:
atanatizante wrote: Good joke dude! Could you send me a link (or something) in order to prove that?

Your words not mine

3.29 x 3.6 = 12 MJ

FIA allows only 2 MJ to be harvested from the brakes so the remaining 10 is to come from the TC
They are not on full throttle 100% of the lap, so in the case of Melbourne you would only need 7.32Mj (61% full throttle according to F1 Fanatic)

Edit: Less that that, given that the average laptime is less than 99s

atanatizante

WilliamsF1 wrote:

Your words not mine

3.29 x 3.6 = 12 MJ

Yeah, forget about the math, the main question is still on the table : NOW THEY HAVE A TC (as you call it) CAPABLE OF HARVESTING AROUND 7MJ PER LAP? Some prove would be nice :)
Jesus

ringo

Being on full throttle is not important when it comes to harvesting the energy from the MGUH. It's all dependent on the mapping of the engine and turbine design.
I've stated somewhere in this thread how much power can be delivered to energy store from MGUH, even posting a graph.
It's not far from possible for Mercedes PU to be constantly deploying MGUK because energy is avaialble from the H and battery.
The "self sustaining" power is what denotes the power that can be delivered to the MGUK from MGUH consistently over a the race distance. And can be considered the base power of the PU. No stored energy has to be requested for this base power level.

as to what amount of power, taking in to account energy transfer losses etc. and less than full throttle running, I am not sure how much on average is sent to MGUK on any given track. But I know it's possible for Merc to provide power to MGUK independent from the Energy Store.
For Sure!!

atanatizante

ringo wrote: ...

But I know it's possible for Merc to provide power to MGUK independent from the Energy Store.
(Thanx Ringo! Thumbs up for the prof!)
... so from above statement the following question would be : and then what`s the purpose of having an Energy Store anymore?
Yeah, I know they have some ancillaries to be powered up but maybe they could shrink it ... but on second thought I think it`s mandatory to have at least 21kg for ES, isn`t it?
So they could split ES in two: one for the ancillaries and the second one acting like ballast?
If that is true could be a nice trick, isn't it?
Jesus

ringo

Well you still need the energy store. The MGUH wont provide all that you need. Secondly the ES can take power from the MGUH when it is not required by the drivetrain. The ES still plays a critical role in the energy management of the power unit.

Remember you are harvesting energy under braking over the race distance. This energy must be stored in the ES.
For Sure!!

atanatizante

ringo wrote: ... The MGUH wont provide all that you need ...
Now according to your graph it does ... unless of course I`m wrong ...
ringo wrote: ... Remember you are harvesting energy under braking over the race distance. This energy must be stored in the ES.
You`re right again, but even if it requires battery storage for 2MJ (MGU-K) you must see that for MGU-H is less required coz most of the time the power is transferred directly to MGU-K, isn`t it?
Bottom line: could be ES less needed than before (2014) hence could be shrunk or is it mandatory to have 20kg or so for ES ?
Jesus

Juzh

It's mandatory.

Thunder

Don't know where else to post it, but first day in Australia and we already have a good Shot of the renault PU.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

dren

Turbine looks bigger, and so does the compressor. The engine mount looks to be hollow for fluid passage.
Honda!